hulika

Author Topic: Pls Pray for D0C Rick, USAF...  (Read 7801 times)

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pls Pray for D0C Rick, USAF...
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »
got news from a fellow forumite that Doc Rick was rushed to the hospital last night... mejo grabe daw lagay... pls pray for him. a fellow biker, fender dude, family man &  an axe slinger. Doc knows his gears. Let's all pray for Doc Rick' s speedy recovery. Pati na rin kay Tolits. God Bless!

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pls Pray for D0C Rick, USAF...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »
Wasn't Doc stationed in Afghanistan?

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »
retired na si Doc Rick. He's living here in Pampanga w/ his family...

Offline dirazon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:14 AM »
Di kami close ni Doc but I see him around sa LP club thread and always have this on his comments.

"Be well,
Doc"

I hope he gets through this and get well. Let's pray for him. 

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:16:50 AM »
doc be well, i'll buy back my epiphone super strat...i miss that guitar....
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »
First off, Doc Rick is NOT USAF. :-D . He's special forces, hence Army. :-D.

Kakatakot lang baka hoax na naman. We were trading text messages after the so-called "he died" affair.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:49:36 AM »
First off, Doc Rick is NOT USAF. :-D . He's special forces, hence Army. :-D.

Ups, my bad. Special forces, as in counter insurgency, behind enemy lines/commando, "kill them all, take no prisoners" bad ass soldier? Chuck Norris/Steven Segal type? Isn't he a surgeon? kinda like MASH?

Kakatakot lang baka hoax na naman. We were trading text messages after the so-called "he died" affair.

got the info fm gitarakista27, a close friend of Doc Ric. Happened last night according to him...  this time, I think it's our turn to say: Be Well, Doc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:54:32 AM by jimy james »

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
well, true or untrue..let's just say a prayer for him, after all he is one of us here...

yeah...be well, doc Rick...hope to see you soon here again :-)
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:17:47 AM »
He was an enlistedman, served in Vietnam, got to go to college with the GI bill and made his way through medicine after retiring as Master Seargent in the Green Berets.

Darn we were supposed to meet when he got back from Afghanistan...oh darn.  :-(

got the info fm gitarakista27, a close friend of Doc Ric. Happened last night according to him...  this time, I think it's our turn to say: Be Well, Doc.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:32:59 AM »
Hope he gets well soon in case the news is true, been a while since i read a post from him here in PM. Get well soon Doc.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:47:13 AM »
Hi folks,

First thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

Second, I guess I will fill you in on what's going on and the real reason why I am not in Afghanistan anymore, nor will I be able to return there.

I did indeed spend 20 years in the US Army. I was NOT Special Forces when I was in Vietnam. I did my first 3 year tour as a paratrooper. I was at first an infantryman in the 101st Airborne Division at Camp Eagle, which was just outside of the town of Phu Bai, Republic of South Vietnam. When the 101st left Vietnam in November of 1971, I still had time on my tour and I was reassigned to the Division Recon Company, 1st Cavalry Division, located at Bien Hoa. I fought in the Easter Offensive of 1972 as well as the Battle of An Loc the same year.

During my tour there, I received several "blast" injuries. Those can be caused by a bomb, or by an incoming mortar round that sends you flying. The main thing is you can't hear crap for awhile, get blood coming out of your ears, and have a concussion injury. I was NOT a hero guys. I went there, did my job, got my Combat Infantryman's Badge, left there and went to Special Forces in 1973 where I spent the next 17 years. During that time, I served all over the world, and I also spent 3 years in El Salvador. I spent 3 years in the Philippines also, as well as 4 years in Korea and two years on Okinawa. I had very little stateside time.

In September of 1990, I was in a military freefall competition. When I pulled, my chute opened fine, but, I could not reach the toggle lines, which control the parachute. They were tangled up in the risers and suspension lines. After 500 jumps, this was the first incident I ever had. The only thing I could do was to try and pull myself up to the toggle lines and untangle them - but this is all while you are descending too. Well, this caused my parachute to partially collapse and I fell about 100 feet with basically a bunch of tangled up crap over my head. I was knocked unconscious, flown by medivac helicopter to Rhode Island Trauma Center where I was diagnosed with a Brain Contusion. After that injury, I started to have "space out" episodes. I didn't know about them and everyone else thought it was funny. I would just go ODS (Out deah somewhea).

I retired in 1991, went to med school, somehow made it through, and I did in fact become a neuro-psychiatrist and neuro sugeon. When I joined the list, I was working here in the Philippines, doing humanitarian work. As some of you know, well I know that BAMF and a couple of others know, when I was home in the states for Christmas in 2006, I was blasting down the road on my Harley and a little old lady turned left in front of me.

Well, that cleaned my clock folks and I was in a coma for 29 days. I had massive head injuries and a broken neck as well as nerve damage to my left side. Somehow I survived it. I also survived cancer during this same basic time frame.

However, some bad things came out of that. One, well, I can't play guitar like I used to. I used to be a major shredder, but I don't have any sensation in the fingers of my left hand, so those days are over. I'm trying now to be a good rythym guitarist. I also lost my ability to do surgeries of any kind, and it also left me with full blown epilepsy.

The medications controlled my epilepsy quite well for a few years. I experienced no difficulties on my first 3 rotations to Afghanistan. However this last trip, we had to take a physical. They discovered that I had adult onset diabetes. That right there, made me lose my job, because I became insulin dependent. Once I became Insulin dependent, the seizures came back.

For several months now, the seizures have gotten worse and worse. Sometimes I have as many as 20 in a day. I have aphasia (difficulty speaking) and have broken my right and left hips falling from seizures. My arms catch hell too in these falls as well as my head. I usually look like I just stepped out of the ring with Manny Pacquiao.

Last week, I was diagnosed with Organic Brain Syndrome. The symptoms are the same as Alzheimer's, just that the cause is from brain trauma. There is no cure folks. The prognosis is death. My short term memory is extremely bad, and my judgment is too - like I make some really bad deals on here. What will happen is my short term memory will go, completely, then my long term memory, then my brain will just forget how to breathe.

Right now, I'm stage II. My prognosis is about 3 years.

Yes, I was rushed to the hospital the other night for status epilepticus - which is one seizure after another - with no breaks between them. It's a true medical emergency, which can cause death. I was given valium IV, kept for observation for awhile and then demanded to go home.

So that's it. I'm at peace with all this folks. Please be also. We don't die a single moment before the time of our passing. Meanwhile, I'm trying to become a rythym guitar player.

There are skeptics out there because of the ordeal that happened with my son. Well, be skeptic if you wish. I have some friends on here who are very important to me. Life is too short for me to worry about those who wish to have a negative attitude about all this. That doesn't contribute to miracles.

So thanks for listening.

Be well and God Bless,

Doc

***Typed by Jovy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:50:13 AM by ussfdoc »
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »
I'll try to drop by within the month to have a drink with ya doc.
Don't worry, we're here for you if you need us.  :-)

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »
So that's it. I'm at peace with all this folks. Please be also. We don't die a single moment before the time of our passing...

I have some friends on here who are very important to me. Life is too short for me to worry about those who wish to have a negative attitude about all this. That doesn't contribute to miracles.

Straight fm the man himself. So let's stop the skepticism & just pray for our brother here. That's the reason why I made this thread.

to Doc Ric: Be Well & God Bless!( playing rhythm guitar ain't that bad :-D )... keith richards' been doin' that all his life :lol:

Always a pleasure hearing fm you Sir!

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »
Doc, Be well! God Bless... you're good and cool   :mrgreen:

Offline little_blues_boy

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
saw his posts about telecasters.. humble guy..:-( nakakaiyak nmn toh..be well sir!

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »
Hi folks,

Second, I guess I will fill you in on what's going on and the real reason why I am not in Afghanistan anymore, nor will I be able to return there.

I did indeed spend 20 years in the US Army. I was NOT Special Forces when I was in Vietnam. I did my first 3 year tour as a paratrooper. I was at first an infantryman in the 101st Airborne Division at Camp Eagle, which was just outside of the town of Phu Bai, Republic of South Vietnam. When the 101st left Vietnam in November of 1971, I still had time on my tour and I was reassigned to the Division Recon Company, 1st Cavalry Division, located at Bien Hoa. I fought in the Easter Offensive of 1972 as well as the Battle of An Loc the same year.

During my tour there, I received several "blast" injuries. Those can be caused by a bomb, or by an incoming mortar round that sends you flying. The main thing is you can't hear crap for awhile, get blood coming out of your ears, and have a concussion injury. I was NOT a hero guys. I went there, did my job, got my Combat Infantryman's Badge, left there and went to Special Forces in 1973 where I spent the next 17 years. During that time, I served all over the world, and I also spent 3 years in El Salvador. I spent 3 years in the Philippines also, as well as 4 years in Korea and two years on Okinawa. I had very little stateside time.

In September of 1990, I was in a military freefall competition. When I pulled, my chute opened fine, but, I could not reach the toggle lines, which control the parachute. They were tangled up in the risers and suspension lines. After 500 jumps, this was the first incident I ever had. The only thing I could do was to try and pull myself up to the toggle lines and untangle them - but this is all while you are descending too. Well, this caused my parachute to partially collapse and I fell about 100 feet with basically a bunch of tangled up crap over my head. I was knocked unconscious, flown by medivac helicopter to Rhode Island Trauma Center where I was diagnosed with a Brain Contusion. After that injury, I started to have "space out" episodes. I didn't know about them and everyone else thought it was funny. I would just go ODS (Out deah somewhea).

I retired in 1991, went to med school, somehow made it through, and I did in fact become a neuro-psychiatrist and neuro sugeon. When I joined the list, I was working here in the Philippines, doing humanitarian work. As some of you know, well I know that BAMF and a couple of others know, when I was home in the states for Christmas in 2006, I was blasting down the road on my Harley and a little old lady turned left in front of me.

Well, that cleaned my clock folks and I was in a coma for 29 days. I had massive head injuries and a broken neck as well as nerve damage to my left side. Somehow I survived it. I also survived cancer during this same basic time frame.

However, some bad things came out of that. One, well, I can't play guitar like I used to. I used to be a major shredder, but I don't have any sensation in the fingers of my left hand, so those days are over. I'm trying now to be a good rythym guitarist. I also lost my ability to do surgeries of any kind, and it also left me with full blown epilepsy.

The medications controlled my epilepsy quite well for a few years. I experienced no difficulties on my first 3 rotations to Afghanistan. However this last trip, we had to take a physical. They discovered that I had adult onset diabetes. That right there, made me lose my job, because I became insulin dependent. Once I became Insulin dependent, the seizures came back.

For several months now, the seizures have gotten worse and worse. Sometimes I have as many as 20 in a day. I have aphasia (difficulty speaking) and have broken my right and left hips falling from seizures. My arms catch hell too in these falls as well as my head. I usually look like I just stepped out of the ring with Manny Pacquiao.

Last week, I was diagnosed with Organic Brain Syndrome. The symptoms are the same as Alzheimer's, just that the cause is from brain trauma. There is no cure folks. The prognosis is death. My short term memory is extremely bad, and my judgment is too - like I make some really bad deals on here. What will happen is my short term memory will go, completely, then my long term memory, then my brain will just forget how to breathe.

Yes, I was rushed to the hospital the other night for status epilepticus - which is one seizure after another - with no breaks between them. It's a true medical emergency, which can cause death. I was given valium IV, kept for observation for awhile and then demanded to go home.

So that's it. I'm at peace with all this folks. Please be also. We don't die a single moment before the time of our passing. Meanwhile, I'm trying to become a rythym guitar player.

There are skeptics out there because of the ordeal that happened with my son. Well, be skeptic if you wish. I have some friends on here who are very important to me. Life is too short for me to worry about those who wish to have a negative attitude about all this. That doesn't contribute to miracles.

So thanks for listening.

Be well and God Bless,

Doc

***Typed by Jovy

Now that's a remarkable life worth living! Keep those rhythm chops going Doc! Might have known very little 'bout you here, but your words/posts speaks for the wisdom you have for such great life experience you've gone through.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
saw his posts about telecasters.. humble guy..:-( nakakaiyak nmn toh..be well sir!

Now that's a remarkable life worth living! Keep those rhythm chops going Doc! Might have known very little 'bout you here, but your words/posts speaks for the wisdom you have for such great life experience you've gone through.

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:31 AM »
Hi folks,

So thanks for listening.

Be well and God Bless,

Doc

***Typed by Jovy

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
Nice and inspiring life story Doc.  Be well and God bless you and your family.
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »
Doc, I didn't know that.  Wow.  That's an inspiring story right there.  In spite of all the trials, and that terrible prognosis, you manage to keep a positive light on everything.  Trying to be a good rhythm guitarist?!  My God!!   :cry:  Makes me feel bad for feeling sorry for myself when my life takes a bad left turn.

Be well doc.  I haven't met you, but please take care of yourself.  I'll include you in my prayers.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
Hi folks,

So thanks for listening.

Be well and God Bless,

Doc

***Typed by Jovy

Mojo sent.   :cry:

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
Doc Rick has been one of the most helpful people here in GC regarding fender stuff and others, and that for me is enough to give respect and regard him as one of the "better" people here.

Be well doc. :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »
you're included in my prayers Doc.  hope everything will return to normal right away.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
God is good Doc!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline stompmoko

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »
yeah, another long explanation
color of the day is monkey sh1t brown