hulika

Author Topic: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)  (Read 221684 times)

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
Re: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)
« Reply #850 on: January 02, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »
Hi!

I just got the Laney Cub12r,last dec 29, 2011 i have been eyeing it for almost a year na, iba rin talaga pag tube amp, naapreciate ko uli yung tunog ng gitara ko, kahit rekta sa amp.. walang fx in between.. swak ang cleans at kahit 15 watts ung amp, may push back parin pag dirt tones.. now GASsing for a OD and dist, planning to get the shredhead!

Offline uruha03

« Reply #851 on: January 02, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »
Hi!

I just got the Laney Cub12r,last dec 29, 2011 i have been eyeing it for almost a year na, iba rin talaga pag tube amp, naapreciate ko uli yung tunog ng gitara ko, kahit rekta sa amp.. walang fx in between.. swak ang cleans at kahit 15 watts ung amp, may push back parin pag dirt tones.. now GASsing for a OD and dist, planning to get the shredhead!

you can never go wrong with a shredhead :D proudly pinoy pa!
\\\"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.\\\"

Offline nicknick

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #852 on: January 02, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
mga sir magkano po ngayon Cub12r.thanks!

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #853 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
nakuha ko sya for 17,460 JB music megamall

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #854 on: January 07, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
Laney Cub 10

Remove R5 and R6 and replace it with 250K pot for treble control
Remove R12 and replace it with 250K pot for bass control

Fender deluxe tone control mod
Change C3 (470pf) with 250pf
Change C6 (22nf) with 100nf
Change C8 (22nf) with 47nf
Change R17 (8.2K) with 6.8K

Laney Tone caps are similar to marshall JMC800. :D

I didn't mod my laney. but i've research for possible mods, this mods can be helpful.
Do it at your own risk.

Right.  I've snapped a pic to show what such a tonestack mod involves, for those interested in what hydro posted. 

You can see R5, R6, R7, and R12 lined up like ducks just above pin9 of V2.  R17 is the one beside C3 (8k2 value).  C3, C8, and C6 are also clearly seen.  Those components complete the tonestack.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #855 on: January 10, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
Update.  The surface mount components can be limiting, but the easy parts to change are in the right places in the circuit (thank you laney!).  Almost like saying to modders, "hey if you want to voice this differently, just these parts, mmmm-kay?" :wink:

After messing with duncan's tone stack calculator, I decided the yellow curve is where I wanna go.  Modding can be like chasing your own tail, so it pays to have a plan.  Stock is shown in green.

Progress pics..

soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline mrpentatonic

« Reply #856 on: January 11, 2012, 01:28:23 AM »
sir siore, i would like to see/hear the outcome of your project. :)

parang gusto ko rin yan gawin sa cub 10 ko. pwede ba sayo ko nalang ipagawa sir?  :-D
Gusto kong Umutot pero T** lumabas~

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #857 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
sir siore, i would like to see/hear the outcome of your project. :)

parang gusto ko rin yan gawin sa cub 10 ko. pwede ba sayo ko nalang ipagawa sir?  :-D

Clips then.  Les paul neck tones.

Part 1:
(for this demo, my neck volume is rolled back, skip na lang to part 2 if you don't play this way)

Part 2:

Compared to a clip I did months back using the cub 10, with what I consider a brighter sounding guitar (PRS SE):

Other stock clean tones from fellow Cub 10 users (good demos):
feature=related
feature=related

I want to do a more comparative demo.  But considering I only have one laney amp, and I don't have a controlled environment for recording yet, it is impossible to have the stock vs modified tones side by side!  Anyone near sta.mesa or welcome rotonda?  Pahiram naman ng cub 10. :-D Specifically for that A/B'ing process.  PM me.  Free option to mod as well, if you like what you hear... but only if you're kind enough to lend me for a couple of days for demo'ing.  Or just drop by if you're interested to hear the difference.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline redjaztin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #858 on: January 11, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
nice mod sir. anong pinalitan nyo? kasi yung sa akin pinalitan ko ng jj tubes. kaya mas naging balance at medyo brighter din yung tone. :D

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #859 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
nice mod sir. anong pinalitan nyo? kasi yung sa akin pinalitan ko ng jj tubes. kaya mas naging balance at medyo brighter din yung tone. :D

Tonestack caps, to get the frequency curve I posted earlier.  Added a bright cap as well across the volume pot.  My cub's already got JJ output tubes as well, and a national 12ax7 in V1, before I even started with anything inside.  I find the tube changes brighten things up and play a part in voicing the amp, but it's a subtle change.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline blacktele

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #860 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
Any solution sa biglang humihina na volume? Bumabalik Lang ulit yun volume if off and on ko ulit. I already changed the tubes but the same problem still persist.
GAS is proof that money has no value without velocity

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #861 on: January 15, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Well at least you've ruled tubes out being the culprit. Unless by some bad luck you got bad ones too. PM mo si 'dirt'.. He's having the same problems. Aside from the common sense solution to take it back to JB,under warranty or not,I told him a few things that could cause intermittent loud/weak volume. Things like dirty unused jacks or pots,etc. Unfortunately,it could ultimately be a quality control issue,and you may have to seek repairs,if you're not keen on going about it yourself, like most people.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline blacktele

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #862 on: January 15, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
Well at least you've ruled tubes out being the culprit. Unless by some bad luck you got bad ones too. PM mo si 'dirt'.. He's having the same problems. Aside from the common sense solution to take it back to JB,under warranty or not,I told him a few things that could cause intermittent loud/weak volume. Things like dirty unused jacks or pots,etc. Unfortunately,it could ultimately be a quality control issue,and you may have to seek repairs,if you're not keen on going about it yourself, like most people.

Thanks, it seems to disappear or di na nagloloko as long as I use an overdrive pedal or a clean boost pedal. So I guess I'll keep my pedals on when I'm using the amp.
GAS is proof that money has no value without velocity

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #863 on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:35 AM »
I am now tempted to change the stock speaker of my cub 12r because of this video  :-\

feature=related
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #864 on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
I am now tempted to change the stock speaker of my cub 12r because of this video  :-\

feature=related
nice share. palagi ko nababasa yang switch from rocket 50 to vintage 30.
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #865 on: January 17, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
saan ba nakakabili ng celestion vintage 30?

Offline posera!!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #866 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »
saan ba nakakabili ng celestion vintage 30?

jb music.. 4.5k+  :)
Oh abandoned hearts with a battle cry we move to You we surrender
oh lead us forth oh Lord for now is the time to show out Your love we're moving forward we'll wait no more
because Your spirit is strong Your spirit is strong

Offline nightkids_racing

« Reply #867 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Any solution sa biglang humihina na volume? Bumabalik Lang ulit yun volume if off and on ko ulit. I already changed the tubes but the same problem still persist.
parang ganyan yung problem ng cub8 ko dati.. pina check ko kay mang raul and nakita nya na pag umiinit lumuluwag yung pagkaka solder yung tube socket. akala ko dati tube din ang problem. pero parang quality issues sa pagkakagawa ng amp.. i had mang raul check every corner of the board para siguradong wala nang problema. pagkatapos dumaan sa kamay ni mang raul yung amp, di ko na naexperience yung problem na biglang volume loss..
HTH

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #868 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
jb music.. 4.5k+  :)

Ah OK, thanks bro  :)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #869 on: January 17, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
parang ganyan yung problem ng cub8 ko dati.. pina check ko kay mang raul and nakita nya na pag umiinit lumuluwag yung pagkaka solder yung tube socket. akala ko dati tube din ang problem. pero parang quality issues sa pagkakagawa ng amp.. i had mang raul check every corner of the board para siguradong wala nang problema. pagkatapos dumaan sa kamay ni mang raul yung amp, di ko na naexperience yung problem na biglang volume loss..
HTH

Seems a lot of laney cub users are experiencing this!  Even on the laney posse forum, some people are also complaining about it.  I never experienced this on mine, and I bet some also haven't, so I haven't given it much attention 'til now.  But anyway, one other possibility, according to some who have addressed this problem, is the thermo fuse (or PTC fuse). 

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-raychem/rhef600/fuse-ptc-reset-16v-6a-radial/dp/1277768

Allegedly, a few bad batches of these made its way into quite a few amps.  They are meant to trip like regular fuses, but can recover and return to its conducting state.  I really haven't heard of it before, but if you have this problem, maybe ask our smarter bros over at the DIY thread if a regular fuse with the same 6A rating could replace it?  If it's tripping when it shouldn't, then maybe a regular fuse will hold better with fluctuations or heat irregularities?  If it's drawing abnormal amounts of current anyway, then it would perhaps blow just the same, and protect the amp, right?  But like said, I know jack sh*t about these components.  If you're going to take it back to the store or have a tech give it a look-over, try to mention this component issue.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Papapuzza

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #870 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »

Got myself a Cub10 last October 2011. Thanks to Siore for that little push I needed!
Transacted With: BossingBoss, El_Sol, JoshNerez, Muffinman, Papotz, Rebiscoco, Saturn/Return, Spankyrigor, Teleclem, Weedman

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #871 on: January 17, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »
^^Whoah!! Congrats!! :)  Never knew I could be part of a push, but I'm sure you weighed the options, pros and cons, tested  to your heart's content, and ultimately decided.  If you're happy, then I'm glad to provide that little tap.  Welcome to the Cub Club!!
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Papapuzza

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #872 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:04 PM »
^^Whoah!! Congrats!! :)  Never knew I could be part of a push, but I'm sure you weighed the options, pros and cons, tested  to your heart's content, and ultimately decided.  If you're happy, then I'm glad to provide that little tap.  Welcome to the Cub Club!!

Thanks, bro! Actually, we were talking about Roland Cube amps, if you can still remember. I weighed the pros and cons. I wouldn't be needing the built-in effects of the Cube since I already have pedals for that. And I already have my handy laptop for backing tracks or looper. Aside from the Cub series being pedal-friendly, I also want to experience first-hand the cranking up of tubes.

So, amen.  :)
Transacted With: BossingBoss, El_Sol, JoshNerez, Muffinman, Papotz, Rebiscoco, Saturn/Return, Spankyrigor, Teleclem, Weedman

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #873 on: January 22, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
pano ba iresolve you flickering indicator light ng cub12r???? i heard na yun ang main flaw nung amp...

Offline schwabe

« Reply #874 on: January 24, 2012, 07:41:32 AM »
pano ba iresolve you flickering indicator light ng cub12r???? i heard na yun ang main flaw nung amp...

Lahat ng cub series yan ang sakit bro.  I had a cub 8 and now a cub 12r ganun talaga sakit...  pero di naman affected ang performance.  di lang talaga ako mahilig kumalikot kaya hinahayaan ko lang.