hulika

Author Topic: Why I Hate Floyd Rose (or any floating bridge)  (Read 6233 times)

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Why I Hate Floyd Rose (or any floating bridge)
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »
Why I Hate Floyd Rose (or any floating bridge at that):

1. They are a pain to re-string.
2. Thay are a pain to tune. Takes 10 times longer than hardtails.
3. Break 1 string and the guitar is useless. This happened to me in a gig. The new D string broke and the guitar went nuts!!! I saw Greyhoundz play in the UP Fair and one of the guitarists broke the same D string and he had to fake his guitar playing for the next 2 songs. Good thing their type of song does not require 2 guitars.
4. Bends are harder to hit. You need to bend more to hit the right note.
5. You can't do oblique bends without bending the other note a quarter step up. Very tricky.
6. Pedaltone bends are almost impossible.
7. If you change string gauge you have to adjust the springs.
8. If you palm mute too much, the guitar pitch goes sharp.
9. Unless you are really good at the whammy bar, you would only sound [gooey brown stuff].
10. I fit the description in #9 so ....
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline alquin

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »
try putting it in a blog. I think this is a forum....

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I Hate Floyd Rose (or any floating bridge)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:14 AM »
Quote from: dtmateo
Why I Hate Floyd Rose (or any floating bridge at that):
1. They are a pain to re-string.
with practice, you should be able to do it in 15 minutes. maybe less. i can.
2. Thay are a pain to tune. Takes 10 times longer than hardtails.
10 minutes. including string stretching. my teles take 5 minutes with a thorough stretching.
3. Break 1 string and the guitar is useless.
you can set it non-floating so you dont have to worry about breaking a string. if you do set it to float, bring a backup.
4. Bends are harder to hit. You need to bend more to hit the right note.
non floating. tighten springs so they dont give when you bend. sometimes i hold the arm so it doesnt give too much when i bend too.
5. You can't do oblique bends without bending the other note a quarter step up. Very tricky.
see #4
6. Pedaltone bends are almost impossible.
see #4
7. If you change string gauge you have to adjust the springs.
shouldnt take too long. 2 minutes max.
8. If you palm mute too much, the guitar pitch goes sharp.
rest your palm closer to the saddle ends. closer to the pivot point.
9. Unless you are really good at the whammy bar, you would only sound [gooey brown stuff].
ah. yun mahirap yun.
10. I fit the description in #9 so ....
me too :mrgreen:

the upside is, set up properly, a good double locking system is the most stable one you're likely to find anywhere.

Offline polarized06

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 10:06:23 AM »
i used to hate it...now i dont... hehehe
....and this world...will be shaken by a whisper...

Massacridia at Youtube!

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:13:09 AM »
hmm.. well for me, i don't hate my lo trs 7 trem. ok naman for me. kahit hassle i-restring, sanayan lang naman. kasi i always block the trem base with a lego piece or something, para isahang tanggal at kabit. hassle magtune, but i always like fine tuning stuff (hindi lang sa guitar), so i have the patience for it. it has pros and cons like anything else, but it's up to you if you're gonna accept the consequences for some real benefits (versatility, technique etc.)

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 10:16:06 AM »
it really depends on your preference, i hate to change and tune the strings but i love using it.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:27:07 AM »
sanayan lang yan...

and if you know the proper way to MANTAIN it and USE it....then you'll like it....it would also help if you have the well built models.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Alchemist0725

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:27:41 AM »
I hate it but i love it!  :lol:  sabi nga "the more you hate, the more you love" ...i love it because of versatility, i hate it kasi ang hirap ng "maintenance" ...prang kotse. 8)
Who you?

Offline cryingfreeman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 10:34:10 AM »
Quote from: jun_gats
it really depends on your preference, i hate to change and tune the strings but i love using it.

+1 :P
thats why i have a crappy fixed bridge guitar for all those drop-d and whole step lower tuned songs. for me, i feel bitin not to have a floydrose. its like ur having a turbo injected rally car but automatic.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 10:36:02 AM »
Kung gagamit ako ng floyd naka one way (down) lang ang setting. Either flushed against the body or may block sya which defeats the purpose of using a 2 way free floating trem. Kaya gamit ko nalang ngayon yong Wilkinson trem or yong Floyd model ng Strat Plus Deluxe. Still have the smooth dive bomb feel without the hassle of going out of tune. :wink:

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 10:54:47 AM »
may mga tunog na FR lang talaga makakagawa.
wah is quuuuite close pero iba parin ang
[weweweweew-we-we-we-wewww-eeeewWWW-weeng....UUUuuwwee....♫]
ng Floyd. IMHO

toadies songs dami wengweng...

:D

Offline markflo

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
oh yea? but you can't dive bomb...and that's all that matters... hahaha!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 11:36:54 AM »
Hoy! I can dive bomb kahit alang Floyd. Problema lang ayaw akong saluhin ng crowd or alang crowd na nanunuod, haha! Sakit katawan lang. Sasabihin ko na lang sa mga kabanda ko, "I'm ok. The hard concrete floor broke my fall". ARAY! :lol:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
malaking advantage ang Floyd Rose sa playing. if you can use it right, you can express your musicality in a lot more ways. minsan sa improv jamming namin, pag nauubusan na ko ng licks i repeat some licks but i accentuate the upbeat of every measure using whammy dips.. ibang-iba yung dating, tipid pa sa licks hehe! medyo hassle lang nga i-setup if you're just a new FR user, but that can be learned. sanayan lang pare ko :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline cryingfreeman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 11:50:11 AM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
malaking advantage ang Floyd Rose sa playing. if you can use it right, you can express your musicality in a lot more ways. minsan sa improv jamming namin, pag nauubusan na ko ng licks i repeat some licks but i accentuate the upbeat of every measure using whammy dips.. ibang-iba yung dating, tipid pa sa licks hehe! medyo hassle lang nga i-setup if you're just a new FR user, but that can be learned. sanayan lang pare ko :)

sir, nka wolfgang ka diba? di ba sagabal ung d-tuner pag ginamit mo na ung floyd? i believe di mo siya pwedeng hilahin? di ba nagagasgas ung gitara sa d-tuner area?

Offline MIG AYESA

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 02:00:20 PM »
I think he meant mas convenient gamitin ang mga hardtails compared sa mga floyd, wilkinson, and floating trems.  
      Sa mga tulad ko na bc sa work and limited ang time mag gitara, mas madalas kong gamitin ung guitar ko na my fixed bridge.  Convenient and mas mabilis i-tune. Pero i still love my floyd guitar. Kc nga there are types of music na kailangan ang trem.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »
its a nescessary evil...unless someone comes up with a better design :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 02:51:15 PM »
di din ako fan ng floydrose.... mga guitar ko Tune o Matic Bridge lahat pero i would like to have kahit isang guitar lang na naka floyd for a change gassing for one sana makumpleto yung iceman project ko...anyways meron bang video or lesson on how to use FR trem na pwedeng ma download share nyo naman yung link kung meron

thanks
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 03:27:54 PM »
Quote from: MIG AYESA
I think he meant mas convenient gamitin ang mga hardtails compared sa mga floyd, wilkinson, and floating trems.  
      Sa mga tulad ko na bc sa work and limited ang time mag gitara, mas madalas kong gamitin ung guitar ko na my fixed bridge.  Convenient and mas mabilis i-tune. Pero i still love my floyd guitar. Kc nga there are types of music na kailangan ang trem.

Ay pil da saym wey. :lol:

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »
ah basta love co si polarized! :)
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 04:02:10 PM »
Quote from: sushiboy

nakupo.  :shock:

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 04:10:28 PM »
yung 2 guitars ko parehong naka floyd rose.  hassle sa floyd kapag gusto ko ibaba sa D or Eb ang tuning ko.  kaya ginawa ko pinablock ko na lang yung floyd nung isang guitar.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »

Oi! Pede bang pa share dyan? Hehe. :lol:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »
Quote from: cryingfreeman
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150

sir, nka wolfgang ka diba? di ba sagabal ung d-tuner pag ginamit mo na ung floyd? i believe di mo siya pwedeng hilahin? di ba nagagasgas ung gitara sa d-tuner area?

oyy.. di naman sagabal yung D-Tuna.. well, sa EXP na Wolfgang ko medyo di ganun kaganda yung quality ng D-Tuna kasi hindi fixed yung limits ng detuned/inserted positions nun, so either sumosobra sa E or D yung pitch pag hinila basta basta.. konting lambing lang hehe. yung sa MIA, perfect yung mechanical motion ng D-Tuna so no problem dun. di naman nagagasgas yung guitar kasi recessed-type Floyd Rose yung bridge ng Wolfgang. may clearance pa yung D-Tuna from the guitar body :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 05:08:03 PM »

ayan na po si sushiboy DA MOVES hahaha!