hulika

Author Topic: Playing Rockband, Guitar Hero, Drum Hero, etc. to improve actual playing?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline levik19

• Netizen Level
Guys, meron ba kayong kilala, na marunong nang tumugtog pero nagkaron ng improvement kasi naglalaro din siya ng mga video games like GH? I'm skeptical about sa guitar, some say it will practice your picking hand. Pero I've seen a kid na may amin malapit sa rehearsal studio, na ok magdrums both sa actual o sa pang-video game. Or is this a good way ba for younger generations to get influenced by music?

Comments mga kapatid?  :-D

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
In my view, it gets the youngsters (kasama na ako.  :lol:) to recognize some bands and their music. But it's not in a way helpful in playing guitar, at least for me. Just last week, my buddies and I were playing guitar hero, and I could not even finish "La Grange" by ZZ Top. So I let them play the game, while I play a real guitar. Then pag alam ko yung song, sumasabay ako at naaamaze nalang sila pati La Grange pinaulit ko sa kanila tapos sumabay ako sa guitar.

Offline juan_portnoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
I think GH may improve your picking but it wont be as significant compared to practicing on a real guitar because of the adjustment that you'll make when you switch from the GH controller to the real guitar. Also, picking is best practiced in conjucntion with your fretting hand movements. Jumping around on five buttons hardly simulates that.

IMHO, practicing on a real guitar will yield the best results.  :-)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:04:34 PM by juan_portnoy »
We're all entitled to our own dementia.  :-P

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Guys, meron ba kayong kilala, na marunong nang tumugtog pero nagkaron ng improvement kasi naglalaro din siya ng mga video games like GH? I'm skeptical about sa guitar, some say it will practice your picking hand.

I'll play over a backing track anyday kesa sa video game.. hehe.. it's just me.. di ako mahilig masyado sa mga games and consoles..  :-P

Pero I've seen a kid na may amin malapit sa rehearsal studio, na ok magdrums both sa actual o sa pang-video game. Or is this a good way ba for younger generations to get influenced by music?

Comments mga kapatid?  :-D

mismo bro.. its a good way para maintroduce sa kanila ang iba't-ibang klase ng music, get the groove and beat right, etc.. pero learning how to play a real guitar is still a different story..

pero i don't see anything wrong with playing those rockband and GH stuff..  :-) it's kinda cool din para sa atin na marunong na mag gitara.. pamparelax or stress reducer or maybe stress inducer (pag hindi makuha ng tama).. hehe.. para maiba naman..  :-)

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
there was this article written for a local tech magazine, i believe, about 2 popular local guitarists who went head to head playing guitar hero... they both agreed that playing guitar hero is very different from the real thing... it doesn't really matter if you're technically sound with the real guitar, the feel is just very different...

so no... it won't improve your actual playing... i used to have a guitar hero guitar and it didn't improve my playing at all...
[

Offline dark_7

• Forum Fanatic
no it doesn't help me at all..truth is..playing guitar hero annoys me a lot..it makes me dumb instead..buti sana kung pareho talaga sya ng real instrument like guitar and there's a score or tab..let's say na para mong sinasabayan ang guitar pro..it would be better.. :| this is just my opinion..

here's a little qoute from nick mason..
"It irritates me having watched my kids do it – if they spent as much time practising the guitar as learning how to press the buttons they’d be damn good by now."
Nick Mason

and bill wyman
"It makes less and less people dedicated to really get down and learn an instrument. I think is a pity so I’m not really keen on that kind of stuff."
Bill Wyman
..every artist was first an amateur..

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
Got this from Francis Reyes.   :-)

http://francisbrew.tumblr.com/page/4

Mahilig po ba kayong mag-guitar hero? Nakakatulong po kaya yun kung gusto mong matutong mag-gitara? :D

No, and no. Guitar Hero does help people become more aware of awesome guitarists and (rock) guitar styles, and it’s really great in that regard. But it’s ABSOLUTELY NOT the same.

It’s like the difference between instant ramen and actually cooking the real thing. the instant stuff is instantly satisfying… but there is no way it tastes, or has the same nutrients, like the real deal :) Operating a microwave does not make you a chef… or even a decent cook for that matter.

We all want ‘instant this and that’… Quality is not instant. like all good things, it takes TIME :) People are forgetting the value of quality. and hard work
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:28:31 PM by cayle »

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
IMHO, it's just a cause of confusion. Hand eye coordination game, is what it is.

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
it really has nothing to do with actual guitar playing :-D

it's a video game and the best it will give you are video gaming skills

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
Parang does Counter Strike make you better at firing guns.  :lol:

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus

:-D

or can you hack with a knife/sword/etc as fast as characters from diablo without getting tired?
[

Offline dark_7

• Forum Fanatic
:lol: and palying NBAlive 2k10 makes you a better basketball player..hhmmm how about dota? :lol:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Farmville made me a better farmer..  :oops:

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
i'll start practicing grand theft auto. :evil:

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
Cant beat the real thing!

Mag plants vs zombies nalang kayo mahahasa pa ang strategy nyo.
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
i'll start practicing grand theft auto. :evil:

i'll go for leisure suit larry... now that rocks! lol... it'll help me get better at 'you know what'... lol

BTT:

answer is still a resounding 'no'

will diablo make me better at hacking with my knife, knocking my bow, flipping my staff, and also how to use magic?
will starcraft help me become a better pilot, better at killing insects and aliens, and become a strategist when i join a war?
will half life or counterstrike help me become better at handling a lot of guns without feeling encumbered?

there is no true calibration between the fretting and picking hand... the feel of the picking hand is entirely different from the use of the guitar hero controller and the true guitar...

just stating my two cents here...  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:01:43 PM by masterchoxter »
[

Offline dark_7

• Forum Fanatic
Farmville made me a better farmer..  :oops:
:lol: petville makes you a better pet owner?hehe

LOL :lol:

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus

Game!  :lol:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline dr.distance

haha, pero Rock Band 3 is trying to simulate real playing na ah

they're adding extra cymbal pads sa drums to simulate a decent full drumkit, then they're releasing that Squier Strat where it detects the string and fret location you're holding! grabe

Offline levik19

• Netizen Level
For me, natutuwa lang ako na meron nakaka-discover sa mga mas bata skin ng mga music na gusto ko, (and others). But I still encourage them
to learn the real thing. Iba ang discipline na ng real music, it really improves a person. Naalala ko tuloy ung commercial ni Michael Angelo Batio, sinira nya yung GH controller ng bata tapos nag-shred sa double guitar nya.  :lol:

BTW,
Ang maganda for me as a guitarist also is yung improvement sa sound quality ng mga tracks.
Simula nagkaron ng mga guitar video games, developers have been using and dissecting the original master tapes.
Check niyo sa youtube, ang dami master tracks. Masarap tuloy makinig ng isang guitar part na isolated kasi
clear ang notes, picking, at mahuhuli mo yung mga licks na malabo sayo noon.  8-)

Offline garunge

well, it may help rhythm and timing.  :-)

Offline marv9

i've played it once and noticed the game is more of hitting the notes to perfect execution, so tingin ko nakakatulong yun pagdating sa timing.
pero in terms of getting to be better at the actual instrument, baka hindi kasi sa game keys yung gamit, 'pag actual gamit ay strings, so it's totally different thing.

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
I have rockband 2, it taught me how to play the drums, not really the best way to learn pero yung pulso mo na natetrain especially on those metal songs na nagrerequire mag double peds pero isang ped lang meron ang rockband 2 ko so yung right foot ko mabilis na mag triplets sa bass drum hahaha, though hindi ko sinasabi na magaling ako magdrums, yung exposure ko lang sa rockband ang nagpasimula ng interest ko sa drums. :)

Offline xid02

• Philmusicus Addictus
my sister will buy PS3 and rockband beatles edition wait ko nalang and we will see...

pero pangungunahan ko na iba parin talaga ang self gratification or satisfaction pag real thing..

sana binili nalang nya ako ng bagong gitara mas matutuwa pa ako hahah!
tapos mas nagiging wild pa sila kase feeling nila dominant sila na parang "i-wil devour you"

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
my sister will buy PS3 and rockband beatles edition wait ko nalang and we will see...

pero pangungunahan ko na iba parin talaga ang self gratification or satisfaction pag real thing..

sana binili nalang nya ako ng bagong gitara mas matutuwa pa ako hahah!

I don't care for the guitar part of the game too much, yung drums talaga ang benta dyan eh :D