hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 57288 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
again: odd.

i was under the impression that the GAS-afflicted here keep shuffling gear around kasi, like me, they can't afford to just buy everything they want to try and gig with it for a few months. so ang solution is to sell what you have, no matter how much you like it, to afford the experimentation. and, in my case at least, i'm not really looking for "the best" or "the one" anymore. I just want to play something else, something different from what i already have.

i absolutely adored my '52ri. i thought it was the one guitar i'd play for the rest of my life. but i felt the itch and didnt have the cash. so i sold it when i wanted to experiment with SGs. at the time, i was thinking it'd be easy to buy it back if i wanted, of course. but it was soon sold. to someone who brought it to canada. :lol: so thats that. a few months later, scored another "The One" tele, then i itched again so i sold it too. :lol:

isnt that what its all the gear shuffling is about? scratching the itch? or ako lang yung ganun kalala ang need to play something new (not new as in brand new; just new to me)?

I think the hardest thing to do is to stop -- and definitely at some point in time -- we have to.  But one advantage being exposed to the boutique gear is knowing that you don't have to keep on going around in circles every time that there is a new product.  Most of the great sounding boutique gear surpass the fad of the moment.  Even the maligned KLON has its use thats hard to surpass.  Unfortunately, a lack of understanding on how to use the KLON seems to bias people against boutique gear.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:44:13 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2011, 12:16:59 AM »
This is why everybody in this forum is kicking your ass!!

People here would agree that you own the best equipment that money can buy, but that does not give you to right to diss on other peoples equipment in this forum. Konting respeto sa mga tao dito Mr. Alex, mas marami pa rin ditong musikero kesa collector!!! And also to add, you have not earned enough respect to lecture us on what is the best tone our money can buy.

Just to clarify being at the top meant being at the top of the 'tone' spectrum not anywhere else.  I do not need respect.  I am just being frank about equipment.  I have nothing to gain and nothing to profit from.  As much as I want to say that cheap gear deserves respect, it does not.  And I cannot lie about that as an opinion.  On the other hand, statements such as GREAT TONE ISN'T ALWAYS EXPENSIVE does not give the right to others to diss people who spend on equipment.  So, I am just providing the other side of the story.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2011, 12:17:26 AM »
tone, tone tone paki tone ki tone alimango sa suba...etc

@maxi how much was that acoustic of yours?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2011, 12:19:01 AM »
i saw and heard the video. the baker sounds just like my squier (but maybe with better notes).

As I said, if you would buy a guitar online based on a cellphone recording then I guess your observation would be valid.  I suggest you listen to the Bamboo track after 'Kailan'.  I think track number 5.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »
Para saan ba ang magandang tone kung hindi mo naman trip.

Kung ako tatanungin and the rest of the audience, mas maganda pakinggan ang magandang tone kaysa panget na tone.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #330 on: February 19, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »

actually, USELESS ang sweet tone ng gitara and gear mo kung hindi mo kaya patunugin ito ng maayos IMHO. :-) nagsayang ka lang ng pera

Sino ba dito ang kaya magpatunog ng maayos?

Offline niehrx

• Netizen Level
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
malamang hindi ikaw yun.  :-D peace!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:44 AM »

@maxi how much was that acoustic of yours?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

if you're referring to that small jumbo sized one, that's Dante's Lowden.  i don't have the breads to get one yet.  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »

can you sing that one? kumpleto lyrics and tagalog ha :-D
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2011, 12:45:24 AM »
As I said, if you would buy a guitar online based on a cellphone recording then I guess your observation would be valid.  I suggest you listen to the Bamboo track after 'Kailan'.  I think track number 5.

is this it http://aimini.net/view/?fid=zveJF1k2xeFZZWJO5RSR
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline rolandiggy

« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2011, 12:50:19 AM »
is this it http://aimini.net/view/?fid=zveJF1k2xeFZZWJO5RSR

I think he's referring to "Nobody Knows". Amazing track, btw.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2011, 12:54:12 AM »
I think he's referring to "Nobody Knows". Amazing track, btw.

so its not "kailan" ?

i wanna hear it

Offline rolandiggy

« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2011, 12:55:58 AM »
so its not "kailan" ?

i wanna hear it

yeah, he said it's the track after "Kailan". Also, track 5 of "Tomorrow Becomes Yesterday" points to "Nobody Knows".

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »
yeah, he said it's the track after "Kailan". Also, track 5 of "Tomorrow Becomes Yesterday" points to "Nobody Knows".

maganda nga ang tone. especially the solo part.

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2011, 01:22:21 AM »

With all due respect sir firemodel55, could you please post a better recorded demo of your Baker using your boutique amps and gears so as to erased the imprinted image of that infamous video in most of us forumers.

Nope. Just to rule out the factors you've mentioned in your argument that the video was captured by a mobile phone camera and the Baker through Elegee's amp.

Sir, I know that you have access to high end recording gears and stuff or even a high end studio, could you please post a demo/sound clip of your Baker and boutique gears so as for us to hear the "magical tone".
Google is your friend.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2011, 01:45:43 AM »
malamang hindi ikaw yun.  :-D peace!

So mas magaling ka rin? :) Peace.

Offline niehrx

• Netizen Level
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2011, 01:47:49 AM »
So mas magaling ka rin? :) Peace.

hindi... :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2011, 01:49:51 AM »
Sir, I know that you have access to high end recording gears and stuff or even a high end studio, could you please post a demo/sound clip of your Baker and boutique gears so as for us to hear the "magical tone".

Unfortunately, I do NOT have any recording equipment.  Early on, I realized that recording is NOT for me.  So I cannot demo or provide a sound clip.  Very Sorry hindi ko talaga alam ang area ng recording.  You have to hear it and play it for yourself.  I think somebody wanted to also but I was very busy at that time to schedule something.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »
with the amount of money fm55 will be paying Mr. Yaron, syempre kahit sinong seller/builder naman siguro sasakyan kung ano yung trip ni fm55, kung trip ni fm55 yung may magic na gitara syempre sasabihin din nung seller (yaron) oo sir may magic yan sir...pero syempre may background music "sasakyan kita sa lahat ng gusto mo..."  :-D

hindi ba the magic is in the fingers?...pabilisan ng kamay  :-D

I think you judge Mr. Gil Yaron too harshly.  Of all the luthiers on earth, he was honest enough to say that his US$600 maple top is no different in sound from his US$1600 maple top.  So I asked him why is it so expensive?  He said that the US$1600 top has bragging rights because its maple from the 50s presumably from the same batch as the late 50s bursts.  But otherwise, figure and sound are similar to the other batches of maple he has.  On his part, Gil has also discouraged me to spend so much.  My build would be the most expensive Les Paul that he would charge anyone thats why he wanted to do his best because medyo nahihiya siya.  But from the outset, I was more concerned with tone and so was he for this build.  Up to this point in time, hindi di pa ma-finalize ang wood because he wants to exhaust all the arriving batches until build time.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #344 on: February 19, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »
Haha. wag ka na umasa bro at masasaktan ka lang. sa totoo lang wala na nga pupuntahan yung thread na to eh. mejo nonsense na. haha.
wala naman magpapatalo dito eh. tapos may minions pa si alex. hahaha. hay nako

*i will run away and hide, or not cause i have balls. not afraid to get in a little trouble.

Wala akong minions... these are solely my opinions so don't think I ask people to post for my side. 

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2011, 02:22:53 AM »
Sa palagay ko lang, walang famous luthier sa tamang katinuan na magki-claim in public na ang gawa nya ay magical...pero syempre kung mambobola sya ng cliente sasabihin nya yun kasi between him and the client lang naman yun at alam naman natin kasama ang pambobola sa negosyo...di ba sir.

Tama na sigurong sabihing maganda at good sounding ang gawa ni Yaron, pero sabihing magical parang katawa-tawa na yata yun...in my opinion.
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2011, 02:31:50 AM »
So what you are trying to say here is that if a musician never owned equipment like yours you were not successful as a musician?

(Nope... I did mention that some of them are talented right?  Read it again.)

I wonder how will people like Ernie Delgado, Rey Sanchez, Boy Adan, Jondi Villacorta, Cezar Aguas react to your statement.

(I wouldn't know.  As you said, they can make a living out of being a musician so I guess they are talented.  But the nice thing is I don't hear them whine about how hard it is being a musician with obligations.)

They have pretty good gear but not as high as yours. And yet not only they were able to feed their family and send their kids to school, they produced some of the awesome guitar sounds that inspired me to this day. NO CUSTOM GEAR TO BE FOUND. Oh yeah, they have a little bit of talent too.

(So you say... not inspiring to me but not any less inspiring to others I guess.  By the way, I HAVE NO CUSTOM GEAR. NONE OF MY STUFF IS CUSTOMIZED FOR ME IN ANY WHICH WAY. Just great sounding gear.)

I don't think this is a cliche, believe me, several years from now, somebody will also agree to what I just claimed. Richie Sambora in Guitar World January 1989 issue (Robert Cray is the cover) told the magazine how he was astounded by the bluesmen in the delta. They have the cheapest guitar with two strings missing and the remaining four, one of them was tied at the headstock para lang magamit pa. And Sambora said that they produced more emotion than any other he has heard. Unless you can be better than the said bluesmen AND Richie Sambora - yaman din lamang na gusto mo ang Bon Jovi - which I like to by the way (oh diba, we have similar tastes too! Hehehehe....), that will not be cliche. It will always be a standard of some sorts.

Alex, no one doubts here that you have way way way way way way way way way more expensive and better gear than most of us could only dream in a lifetime. And no one challenges your theory in tone because tama naman talaga. It's just that it is really not feasible for the majority of us. That being said, you cannot stop us from playing and making music no matter what our disposition in life. Hindi lang naman pang mayaman ang musika e. Tell that to Robert Johnson. Remember what I said to you about Max Rufo's pickups? Let me repeat it my friend R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Do not insinuate others that they have bad gear or have less knowledge than you when it comes to tone.

(There are other people in Manila who have way way way way way way way way more expensive gear than I do.  In comparison to the people abroad, my stuff is nothing but a small fraction of what they own.  Again, I want to highlight the fact that there are bad sounding expensive gear but my main point is that the expensive that sounds great and that delivers is way way way way way above the best of the cheap gear.  I am NOT stopping you from playing music, none of my posts have requested that from anybody.  I am just saying that from another perspective the title and message of the t.s. is b.s.  When it comes to knowledge about good sounding equipment, some opinions are better than others because kung pareho lang mga opinion ng tao, then nobody would be producing good/great sounding equipment.  For example, I will take Gene Baker's advice over Max Rufo anytime of day even if they are both free advice.  You know why? Kasi mas magaling si Gene Baker. )

(Max Rufo's work is crappy and not worth it.  Saan na ba nga pala ang pickups niya?  I say like it is.  When there is something to praise, I will praise it. If something deserves disdain so be it.  Its not a matter of respect (para kang AFP), its a matter of being truthful.)

I have a friend here in PM who has more or less the same gear as yours and yet he NEVER once told me that "ayoko yang gamit mo, pangit tunog" or "ayoko yang tube screamer, walang laban yan sa Timmy ko". In fact he appreciates that I can make the best out of what I got. In fact he always invite me for a jam session over pizza and coke.

(I salute him for being polite and being a gentleman.  Did you care to ask him what he honestly thought of your tone?)

But then again, if you cannot understand what 95% percent of us here in PM can, then I guess, Joric is right. Let Alex be Alex, or as one said - SIGE ALEX IKAW NA LANG ANG LAHAT. We will just be better versions of ourselves.

(If you think that the 95% is so right, why don't you post what you post here on gearpage in the U.S.?  Why don't you show the products of Mang Max and publish the comments on his products sa gearpage? Have an American familiar with pickups to order his product and get them to comment. Baliktad nga eh... sa inyo na nga LAHAT kasi parang may sariling mundo dito na hindi naman tugma sa labas.)

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #347 on: February 19, 2011, 02:47:08 AM »
@Fm55

gearpage? ito ba un
feature=related

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2011, 02:55:51 AM »
Actually some Black Metal bands who have access to High-End Equipments chose to record their songs with crappy gears. Why? because like the RAW tone.

for the Nth time, TONE IS SUBJECTIVE.

Offline kurtseth

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:16 AM »
Actually some Black Metal bands who have access to High-End Equipments chose to record their songs with crappy gears. Why? because like the RAW tone.

for the Nth time, TONE IS SUBJECTIVE.

no matter how many times it would be mentioned it would fall on deaf ears dude.

this thread reeks of epicness....

oh well....