hulika

Author Topic: There's no excuse for playing a bad cover....  (Read 28871 times)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: There's no excuse for playing a bad cover....
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
high. but not too high. thats one of the points of this thread. to be not mediocre and push playing levels higher. not everybody in the choir is at the same level. there are stars and regular members and choir master's daughters. and if you need to know how a bad cover differs from improvising then maybe you can benefit from learning how to do a song properly.

"A good guitar player can imitate anyone.  A great guitar player cannot be imitated." But before you become great you first need to become good. And yes the pieces of great players cannot be imitated 100% but you can however get to at least a passing mark of 75%, why settle for 65%? As with anything in life, everyone deserves a shot at something better. Why would you want to settle for less?

Then, we agree after all.  As to being a good and great guitarist, there's actually not much of a difference in terms of skill.  When a good guitarist is able to imitate a great one, does that lessen the great one's "greatness?"  By that time, the great guitar player would have had done something else that the good guitar player would have to try to imitate once again.

Everyone starts by copying someone else.  The difference will then lie in the technical and creative aspect of playing as one matures in playing.
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline walanakamingyelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
I think for me and my style of playing it's always the play what you feel method Well it's not that I'm too lazy to learn about techniques or something but maybe it's very passionate for me when you play with emotions and not with the form. Well of course I try to play with form but sometimes it doesn't feel right when it's always techniques and form.And playing covers? Why not try to make your own music and that's the piece that you play and cover a song just for fun not to the point of trying to copy it the way the artist played it because whatever we do however we get good at it, it's a cover song it's not yours and never will be.
Heart, Mind, Hands

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
I think for me and my style of playing it's always the play what you feel method Well it's not that I'm too lazy to learn about techniques or something but maybe it's very passionate for me when you play with emotions and not with the form. Well of course I try to play with form but sometimes it doesn't feel right when it's always techniques and form.And playing covers? Why not try to make your own music and that's the piece that you play and cover a song just for fun not to the point of trying to copy it the way the artist played it because whatever we do however we get good at it, it's a cover song it's not yours and never will be.

Unless, the one you are covering is actually a part of the audience...

New Manila Sound

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:40 AM »
I'm reminded of what I've learned from the maestros - first learn all the rules, then break them.  What I would consider as a good cover would be:

- LEARN all the notes
- UNDERSTAND the purpose of each note on the covered song
- REALIZE that it's pointless to make a 100% copy
- DECIDE to add your own flavor to the music

And don't think that the audience can be fooled, kahit di mga gitarista - they know and appreciate good covers :)
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
I'm reminded of what I've learned from the maestros - first learn all the rules, then break them.  What I would consider as a good cover would be:

- LEARN all the notes

And don't think that the audience can be fooled, kahit di mga gitarista - they know and appreciate good covers :)

mismo!  :lol:

Offline badfinger

« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »

- LEARN all the notes

I agree absolutely with you sir.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »

Of course.  The point is, as far as the posts regarding the TS is concerned, he's not a good guitar player either...

New Manila Sound

Offline spanishsteel

« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
music is the expression of self. thank god we are all different coz diversity makes an interesting world. at least let us learn to respect the uniqueness of each person, if it is not possible to like them - or the music they play.

as for me, i am sure i will never measure up to the standards of what others may define as a "guitarist".

all i know is this: before, i was frustrated with guitar and music in general when i found out that i couldnt copy other people's music note for note. i no longer enjoyed playing; it all became a contest, a test of skill - a prison.

after learning how to improvise, things have changed for me. now i feel free and now i enjoy playing the guitar immensely - despite what others may say. :-)

isnt freedom what music is all about?
TRANSACTIONS:crosstrainer,nimrodthebomber,Gi9i,japaniman23,5thsunset,erie,wireme,poorsche,progressive_pilipinas,turiguiliano,yahoo!,mike.b.,j.pablo,Damuhongbata,
Psalm_tayo23,Smilelines,bamborger,spankyrigor,mahineman,ikingtan,sulayman44,chardiwinks,ETC..

Offline brianalejar2008

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »
there is an excuse actually because before you reach the highest level, you always start in a low profile. Take a look at funtwo. He might not be a master yet but atlest he's trying. there's this guy also from youtube. Jm Lozada
he can do covers so well and play like hell.
I met him once at Sazi's bar together with his band and  did a sound check Cliffs of Dover live. Some mistakes run all over the place and some improviastions. I asked him "ayos sir ah kuhang kuha" he said. Improvisation lng ung iba dun, gusto ko kasi iexpress ung sarili ko sa kantang un and as a respect na rin" ansabi ko nmn "ah so hindi pala ung mga nota na un ung kay Eric Johnson?" sabi niya "there's some parts na need mo seprahin tlga. tipong mga main melody ng kanta/trademark ba like ung sweet child or sa faithfully pero in some parts pwd mo lagyan ng sarili mong taste".

I totally agree with this guy and he earns my respect so much.

String Insanity 4th Placer

Offline MrGobots

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
there is an excuse actually because before you reach the highest level, you always start in a low profile. Take a look at funtwo. He might not be a master yet but atlest he's trying. there's this guy also from youtube. Jm Lozada
he can do covers so well and play like hell.
I met him once at Sazi's bar together with his band and  did a sound check Cliffs of Dover live. Some mistakes run all over the place and some improviastions. I asked him "ayos sir ah kuhang kuha" he said. Improvisation lng ung iba dun, gusto ko kasi iexpress ung sarili ko sa kantang un and as a respect na rin" ansabi ko nmn "ah so hindi pala ung mga nota na un ung kay Eric Johnson?" sabi niya "there's some parts na need mo seprahin tlga. tipong mga main melody ng kanta/trademark ba like ung sweet child or sa faithfully pero in some parts pwd mo lagyan ng sarili mong taste".

I totally agree with this guy and he earns my respect so much.

String Insanity 4th Placer
thanks for digging this up. but i think this thread has run its course. but for your benefit, let me quote my first post

Three different players, one song (although jack's version is EJ's live version). all have taken the pains and time to play it correctly and be able to play it with emotionI've seen a lot of players play this song and disrespect the actual song and masking their inability to play it correctly by saying "this is my version of..." when what it really means "this is the only way I can play it and so I'll call it "my version" so you'll think I can play it correctly but i just can't take the pains of learning it note for note" just to avoid the haters.

There's even some guys who get a backing track and just wank away and improvising over it, some sound good, some don't. And then post it on YouTube and say its "in the style of"

"Reminder, this is not a note-for-note VS improvisation thread but a PUSH YOUR PLAYING FURTHER thread"

this is what the intention of this thread is all about. "wag mong dayain yung sarili mo, kung dadayain mo sarili mo, hindi ka gagaling" and "kung gagawin mo din lang naman, gawin mo ng maigi"... Don't judge a thread by its title.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
- Oscar Wilde

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
Ready...Set...GO!!! :razz:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
mahusay ka siguro doc gobots, dami mong alam e  :-D  informative
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #238 on: December 22, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
mahusay ka siguro doc gobots, dami mong alam e  :-D  informative

Ayun na!
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »
something's cooking? hehe
yada yada yada.....

Offline trees

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #240 on: December 23, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

STAND UP AND SHOUT !!    :mrgreen:

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
There are two schools of playing covers... one is to play it note for note, the other is the interpretative type.

The note for note approach is self explanatory and there is a whole segment of the population that is entertained by this... in the mid 80's the eloquent expression is "plakado" i had my share of time making a living out of this when i was younger but now as I've grown older and looking back to me it is just an exhibition of one's skill in playing but its entirely an art form in itself don't get me wrong and I owe what ever skill set I have today as a player from that period of my life but again at this point I am not at all motivated to play that way again for artistic reasons.

The interpretative type is what most people abuse and say "my version" or just the "wanking away and not doing justice" thing if I'm getting the author's point correctly. In my opinion the "my version" can only give justice to a cover in an interpretative manner if the performance of the cover stands on its own... reflecting the interpreter's style with musical taste, and universally accepted as good, better, or awesome. For years this approach is what I am inclined to adopt.

here are some of my attempts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCN3NrL9cXM     

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150185781153416&set=vb.591813415&type=2&theater
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:33:37 AM by erniebong »

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »
sarap basahin ng thread na to  :lol:

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

Offline Alchemist0725

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »
There's an excuse for playing a bad cover.... if you're humble enough to admit that you can't play it note-by-note. And i bet, no one can't play it 100% copy. Daming dapat pang i-consider sa pagtugtog ng cover song, aside from note-for-note playing & technique consider also the equipments/gadgets or whatever na gagamitin mo. Hindi mo matutugtog ang "manhattan" ng Metal Zone lang ang effects mo.
Who you?

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
Pa-in nga din  :-P

can't do good covers so improv na lang me  :lol:
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
 :drool:

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
I am so guilty of not playing the solos note for note. Probably i'm lazy sometimes or usually I always fall in an impromptu jam. But none the less it gives me more creativity. In other countries kaya nakilala ang Pinoy is because how they can cover a song exactly how a foreign band recorded it. Pero times are changing now and Pinoys are being known for their creativity in making music.

I remember some videos of Richie Kotzen, he does play his solos differently ag live. Even Eddie Van Halen plays some of his passes differently live.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
"My point is you just cant pick-up a dslr and pass yourself as a pro photographer, you can't just learn to use a stethoscope and call yourself a doctor, and you can just read the constitution and call yourself a lawyer, so why should anyone be able to pick-up the guitar and call themselves a guitarist?

Just a thought and a call-out to whoever thinks he can to please push the envelope and not accept mediocrity. As for me I have no choice but to be less than mediocre.."

--------
Hah -these days a DSLR makes everyone think they can do photography and do it well. Ever consider how many people want to do weddings and model shots now? An insane amount.

I personally won't accept mediocrity which is what makes playing guitar great -it is an ongoing process. I will never be as good as I hope to be in my head because that threshold is always changing. I can always do a better cover. I can always do a better rendition. I can always play a better set. I can always play with more soul. In the meantime I have no excuse but to move forward and do what other seasoned guitar players before me have done: see concerts, listen, study music and apply to make my own thing.

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!