hulika

Author Topic: Why do corksniffers hate everything that is made in China?  (Read 28510 times)

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Why do corksniffers hate everything that is made in China?
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2011, 01:56:53 AM »
A bit off topic. My son has a Play Station Portable bought in the US. I was surprised to see that the charger was "Made In The Philippines". And the Class A chargers in Greenhills is made in China. :-D

thats probably from a factory from Phil Economic Zone Authority (PEZA).

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2011, 02:03:44 AM »

And this concerns me.....why is it that 80% percent of the clientele of super high end and custom shop instruments are not professional working musicians but collectors, lawyers, politicians, doctors AND CORKSNIFFERS?

Because of money :) no other reason.

Kahit steady na steady gigs here locally, mahirap talaga to comfortably buy a couple of topshelf guitars.. And amps.. And pedals. it's gonna be hard to do that even if you're not a fulltime musician (ie. May other source of income). Spending millions (literally) on a hobby is something that an average person doesn't do. Lalo na rin dito.

That said, they're free to do what they want with their money. There are worse things to do with that kind of money..

But then.. Some people have more money than sense. :wink:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:04:51 AM by teleclem »

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2011, 02:06:19 AM »
According to Alex almost all showbands have bad sound. He even blamed the death of NU to the showbands that have bad live sound according to his standards.

I already asked that to Alex, he never answered it. I guess to him, we working musicians have no right to make a living playing music because we don't have Diezels and Yarrons in live performances.

Come to think of it, almost all professional musicians here and abroad cannot really afford boutique equipment. Even major recording musicians a lot of them rent instruments when playing live and keep their high end gear only for recordings. Nathan East records with a Fodera but tours with a Yamaha. Darrell Abbott plays his custom Dean in the Studio but live he plays his Washburn and standard mass produced Darrell guitars by Dean.

Point is, if boutique and custom instruments or at least equipment that you can already buy a car with is the only standard we should aim, then our music industry in all its facets will die.

Again, as of late, no one have ever criticised me for having bad sound in gigs. That means though I have average equipment, I was able to sustain my career for 17 years. And even if I have that much disposable income, I still would not buy a Baker or a Yarron or a Custom Shop AC30 or an original 59 Les Paul. I'd rather invest that money on my child's education and wedding plans - which is a more noble investment rather than a Yarron. If still I have more disposable income, I'd rather give it to missions and sponsor things for a worthy cause.

I am more concerned with how my money can help me store up riches in heaven. Having a Yarron isn't definitley one of them.

And this concerns me.....why is it that 80% percent of the clientele of super high end and custom shop instruments are not professional working musicians but collectors, lawyers, politicians, doctors AND CORKSNIFFERS?
probably compensating for something they lack. :lol:

Offline keida

« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »
Somehow there's a way to connect this with how people buy high end cameras and lenses and use it to shoot chicks on weekends, then shoot the cameras they used, then neatly keep their gear inside dryboxes and all.
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2011, 02:19:33 AM »
Tingin ko eto nga yun. Ika nga, you get what you pay for. Pero there might be a chance (no matter how small) that there will be a diamond in the rough among those MIC guitars.

this.

Offline robo-rat

« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2011, 04:49:04 AM »
dapat which is the best china made guitar thread na lang to or something to that extent ...baka naging mas informative pa... nauwi nanaman sa bugso ng damdamin thread e..

Offline straightwire

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
mababa resale value
Sound Box Band Rehearsal Studio
1411 Juan Luna St. Tondo,Manila
Tel no.  4041778 Cell no. 09275106260 www.facebook.com/soundboxbrstondo

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
dapat which is the best china made guitar thread na lang to or something to that extent ...baka naging mas informative pa... nauwi nanaman sa bugso ng damdamin thread e..

overall package and Q.C probably Rasmus( i hope they keep the pleking part of it..because if they cut that off..thats a bummer).. i havent in my years here tried a Tokai MIC..

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »
According to Alex almost all showbands have bad sound. He even blamed the death of NU to the showbands that have bad live sound according to his standards.

I already asked that to Alex, he never answered it. I guess to him, we working musicians have no right to make a living playing music because we don't have Diezels and Yarrons in live performances.

Come to think of it, almost all professional musicians here and abroad cannot really afford boutique equipment. Even major recording musicians a lot of them rent instruments when playing live and keep their high end gear only for recordings. Nathan East records with a Fodera but tours with a Yamaha. Darrell Abbott plays his custom Dean in the Studio but live he plays his Washburn and standard mass produced Darrell guitars by Dean.

Point is, if boutique and custom instruments or at least equipment that you can already buy a car with is the only standard we should aim, then our music industry in all its facets will die.

Again, as of late, no one have ever criticised me for having bad sound in gigs. That means though I have average equipment, I was able to sustain my career for 17 years. And even if I have that much disposable income, I still would not buy a Baker or a Yarron or a Custom Shop AC30 or an original 59 Les Paul. I'd rather invest that money on my child's education and wedding plans - which is a more noble investment rather than a Yarron. If still I have more disposable income, I'd rather give it to missions and sponsor things for a worthy cause.

I am more concerned with how my money can help me store up riches in heaven. Having a Yarron isn't definitley one of them.

Ouch! A few bad eggs have ruined me.

And just because Steven Seagal is a LAWman doesn't make him a LAWyer...... :lol:

Don't worry man, no offense taken. You have earned my respect a long time ago.  :-D
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline Darkgcleff

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:27 AM »
:-D :-D :-D

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »

Ask the Superbrat about his $ 500,000 lefty goldtop
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »

Oh man I hate that magazine!  They look at guitars as furniture, hoity toity furniture :roll:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »

Nice............... make me wanna...

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »
According to Alex almost all showbands have bad sound.

I agree with this.

He even blamed the death of NU to the showbands that have bad live sound according to his standards.

Totall Bullcrap.

Come to think of it, almost all professional musicians here and abroad cannot really afford boutique equipment.

Agree.

Even major recording musicians a lot of them rent instruments when playing live and keep their high end gear only for recordings. Nathan East records with a Fodera but tours with a Yamaha. Darrell Abbott plays his custom Dean in the Studio but live he plays his Washburn and standard mass produced Darrell guitars by Dean.

Or maybe they don't want those precious, historic, sentimental guitars to get all the abuses of touring. Slash doesn't bring his Derrig LP and red Mockingbird anymore. Too much history to get that much abuse.

Again, as of late, no one have ever criticised me for having bad sound in gigs.

That maybe because they don't care much about how you sound. NOT to say you have a bad sound, but the crowds I see most of the time are after the "cute" vocalist or after dancing. For as long as you can play the current danceable music, then you're good. They don't care if your tone is mediocre or excellent.

That means though I have average equipment, I was able to sustain my career for 17 years.

A world-recognized luthier once said... "you probably have better equipment today than what those legendary artists used back in the day".

The most recognizable tunes - at least in Rock music - were recorded using production Fenders and Gibsons.

Because you're not a collector if you only collect what is available to the vast majority?

This is NOT to criticize or anything. This is giving everyone a different perspective.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Or maybe they don't want those precious, historic, sentimental guitars to get all the abuses of touring. Slash doesn't bring his Derrig LP and red Mockingbird anymore. Too much history to get that much abuse.

Definitely. The point is, they are willing to settle for standard equipment for gigs.

That maybe because they don't care much about how you sound. NOT to say you have a bad sound, but the crowds I see most of the time are after the "cute" vocalist or after dancing. For as long as you can play the current danceable music, then you're good. They don't care if your tone is mediocre or excellent.

I am pertaining to my bandmates of late, not the audiences. I definitlely will agree that the audience do not care about tone as long as you play their favorite tunes correctly.

A world-recognized luthier once said... "you probably have better equipment today than what those legendary artists used back in the day".

The most recognizable tunes - at least in Rock music - were recorded using production Fenders and Gibsons.

Most definitely. That's why boutique instruments - though some of the best made instruments in the world - are not for most pro musicians either.

Because you're not a collector if you only collect what is available to the vast majority?

It is actually good for the business no doubt, not good for musicians though.

This is NOT to criticize or anything. This is giving everyone a different perspective.

Point very well taken.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2011, 04:12:16 PM »

idol ko yan si johnny mac! may copy ako nyang issue na yan.  :-D

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
 :-)
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline Roy Pigdester

« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
What exactly is a MIC piece of gear that you own should be given half the chance?

I own a couple Ibbys that are MIC.  They sound pretty good and mind you, I don't need no Diezel amps to make them sound like something Trey Azagthoth would cut his wrists for. But I respect your opinion, unlike your challenger who seems to have difficulty walking the talk. Pa bikini party bikini party pa siya diyan. Hmph. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:11:43 AM by Roy Pigdester »

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
had some bad experiences with china stuff kaya siguro as much as possible di MIC binibili ko pero I'm not saying I hate MIC stuff, it's just that bad experiences have taught me to avoid them that's all

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
I agree with this. <I would like to also point out that club owners share the blame for providing crappy P.A.s and instruments.>

Totall Bullcrap. <I would like to clarify that in that specific post, I did say that the major factor was that people were downloading or buying pirated copies of songs that should contribute to the proper promotion of these artists in which NU 107 is one of the casualties because of the smaller base of listeners. e.g. Willie Villarame does not have this problem yet he sells despite of sucky songs.>

Agree.

Or maybe they don't want those precious, historic, sentimental guitars to get all the abuses of touring. Slash doesn't bring his Derrig LP and red Mockingbird anymore. Too much history to get that much abuse. <Kirk Hammet does. And several others so, it does not apply to all touring musicians.>

That maybe because they don't care much about how you sound. NOT to say you have a bad sound, but the crowds I see most of the time are after the "cute" vocalist or after dancing. For as long as you can play the current danceable music, then you're good. They don't care if your tone is mediocre or excellent. <Agree. Look at the current winner of Pinas Got Talent.  He won because he was a balut vendor and he could sing as a girl or boy.  But to be honest, his voice and his singing could not move me -- para lang siyang tape recorder na walang feeling or confidence.>

A world-recognized luthier once said... "you probably have better equipment today than what those legendary artists used back in the day". <Maybe or Maybe not.  I wouldn't call the JB and Lazer stuff as better than back in the day.>

The most recognizable tunes - at least in Rock music - were recorded using production Fenders and Gibsons. <Let me qualify: Golden era Fenders and Gibsons and not 70s or 80s era Philippine Fender and Gibson knockoffs.>

Because you're not a collector if you only collect what is available to the vast majority? < I do not collect.  My sole criteria in buying a guitar is sound superiority with character.  I do NOT even care about how it looks like.  The guitar just has to make 99% of other guitars out there to be inferior for the simple reason that I do NOT have oodles and oodles and money to spend on bad sounding guitars specially if 99% of them sound bad.>

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
probably compensating for something they lack. :lol:

So would you prefer these so-called musicians who work their butts off making music and trying to make a living ENDORSE inferior equipment instead of CORKSNIFFERS telling you what to buy?  Kasi kung ganoon lang BUMILI KA NA LANG NG FERNANDO.  FERNANDO has a poster of all these so called local musicians you respect standing behind Fernando and all look like that they really don't want to endorse the brand.  

I think that this is NOT a fair statement to make -- I mean its not an issue of compensation but rather of choice.  I do NOT want to make it a class war but really, the guys who have the money have better opportunities to pick out the better instruments.  IT IS A FACT.  The are other so called corksniffers and professionals who are richer than me -- way more richer -- but I accept that.  It is NOT my fault or anybody's that they are more successful in their choices and endeavors and thus are able to buy unquestionably better equipment than so called local working musicians.  If I look at a really successful musician -- Arnel Pineda (net worth of US$15million) -- he is not even a guitarist. If you feel that your current career as a full fledged musician has not garnered you enough wealth -- I too have to educate my kids, have to spend on medical expenses, pay for gas, pay for electricity, etc like everybody else -- by all means change your career or look for a better opportunity.  If music is all that you know and are not successful, then live by your means even if that means that you don't get all these high end stuff.  But, do NOT put down other people who are more successful than you specially those who are non musicians.  Not all so called musicians can play better than lawyers, doctors, professionals etc.  You would be surprised.

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
the guys who have the money have better opportunities to pick out the better instruments

I agree, only that people with less money have more talent  :-D because they invest their energy in developing their talent and not their wallet.
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
Quote from: firemodel55
So would you prefer these so-called musicians who work their butts off making music and trying to make a living ENDORSE inferior equipment instead of CORKSNIFFERS telling you what to buy?  Kasi kung ganoon lang BUMILI KA NA LANG NG FERNANDO.  FERNANDO has a poster of all these so called local musicians you respect standing behind Fernando and all look like that they really don't want to endorse the brand.  

I think that this is NOT a fair statement to make -- I mean its not an issue of compensation but rather of choice.  I do NOT want to make it a class war but really, the guys who have the money have better opportunities to pick out the better instruments.  IT IS A FACT.  The are other so called corksniffers and professionals who are richer than me -- way more richer -- but I accept that.  It is NOT my fault or anybody's that they are more successful in their choices and endeavors and thus are able to buy unquestionably better equipment than so called local working musicians.  If I look at a really successful musician -- Arnel Pineda (net worth of US$15million) -- he is not even a guitarist. If you feel that your current career as a full fledged musician has not garnered you enough wealth -- I too have to educate my kids, have to spend on medical expenses, pay for gas, pay for electricity, etc like everybody else -- by all means change your career or look for a better opportunity.  If music is all that you know and are not successful, then live by your means even if that means that you don't get all these high end stuff.  But, do NOT put down other people who are more successful than you specially those who are non musicians.  Not all so called musicians can play better than lawyers, doctors, professionals etc.  You would be surprised.

Arnel Pineda (net worth of US$15million)

he made that much w/ Journey?

then Neal Schon must be a billionaire... :-D

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2011, 03:00:44 AM »

point taken. may have been to harsh there on my part.

or maybe I'm just sourgraping :lol:

take it easy though. chill. :wink:

challengeofthegobots

« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »
I own a couple Ibbys that are MIC.  They sound pretty good and mind you, I don't need no Diezel amps to make them sound like something Trey Azagthoth would cut his wrists for. But I respect your opinion, unlike your challenger who seems to have difficulty walking the talk. Pa bikini party bikini party pa siya diyan. Hmph. :mrgreen:

someone has some insecurity issues... what exactly is the walk i have to walk? again, i did not make the challenge. poserboy did.