hulika

Author Topic: Tubescreamer pedal on a Solid State Amp?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tubescreamer pedal on a Solid State Amp?
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
I've been digging Google and YouTube about this but I'm still not convinced with their answers/video demos.
I just want to hear your own personal experience/comments with regards to this matter.

Ok pa rin kaya ang tunog nito kahit sa Solid State Amp? (SS amp such as Roland Cubes, Pathfinder 15r or the like?)

Thanks in advance. God bless.

On vacation...

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tubescreamer pedal on a Solid State Amp?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
yep pwede, ok but you'll have better results when you use a tube amp

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
Tubescreamers are made for tube amps. not mandatory though.
Dang! someone just got schooled:)

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
I've been digging Google and YouTube about this but I'm still not convinced with their answers/video demos.
I just want to hear your own personal experience/comments with regards to this matter.

Ok pa rin kaya ang tunog nito kahit sa Solid State Amp? (SS amp such as Roland Cubes, Pathfinder 15r or the like?)

Thanks in advance. God bless.

I would have to say that our answers are gona be as good as what you dug. They are meant to push tubes. Not amps. Not speakers. Not distortion pedals. Hence tubescreamers. Same as overdrive pedals. However technically, these are all possible. Out of all the SS amps that I tried, only the Peavey Bandit IMO can make a good tone with an overdrive in front only at low volume setting.. Some distortion pedals can also make a good tone out of it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:22:40 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
It can be done.. but don't expect much out of it. I bet you'll be able to coax some usable/decent tones with the right settings, but generally, it's harder to do on a ss amp talaga.

Imo, these overdrive pedals really shine in front of a tube amp.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
Ay masaya gamitin ang Tubescreamer sa tube amp na "on the verge of breaking up" na.. sa tingin ko yun yung major na kaibahan niya sa SS.. pag ginamit mo pang push ang TS sa SS amp na malapit na mag break up eh kakaiba ang dynamics at yung dating niya.. hehe..

Pero kung parehong clean channel lang at maraming headroom, sa tingin ko ay hindi naman ganun kalaki ang difference..

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
in my opinion, all depends on your sound preference.. if the TS sounds good on a SSAmp, then go. but if sounds better on a Tube Amp, then go.. i believe that the TS is for tubes ("Tube Screamer), but yes, not mandatory.

i have been gigging and 95% of the bars/events/prods/gigs i've played have SSAmps. and the way i use the TS is that i put it before a BOSS Blues Driver. yep etc.. > Compressor > TS9 or 808 > BD-2 > etc.. and i prefer the sound it gives. it's my 'tone'..

i hope that helps..

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:40 AM »
Depends on how you use it too. Back in the day I was using it through a SS Fender and Marshall with TS808 set to mild OD and got pleasing tones. The real magic begins however, when its used as boost on a tube amp.

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
agree with all the points!! Iba talaga sa de tubo  :-o

I've tried it w an orangutan, the PRS 25th anniv and a '65 Deluxe Reverb and it sounded good with all ... it can get a little compressed at time and squishy in the mids, but it's livable if you use it more as a boost than a full on OD pedal
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
Salamat sa mga replies. Malaking tulong sa akin ang mga comments ninyo.

Assuming that you are a Tubescreamer guy and this pedal never stays out on your board then suddenly pag dating mo sa gig/studio SS amp pala yung naka setup which is di naman talaga maiiwasan. Dun ako na confuse kasi baka macompromise agad ang TS pedal.

Well maliban na lang talaga kung magdadala ng sariling Tube Amp sa gig na sa tingin ko masyadong hassle sa kagaya kong walang sasakyan considering may bitbit na akong gitara at pedals plus tube amp pa.

regards to all.
On vacation...

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
It really depends on how pedal friendly your solid state amp is. The older solid state amps are pedal friendly.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
It really depends on how pedal friendly your solid state amp is. The older solid state amps are pedal friendly.

Anong mga amps yun Sir? Para magka idea lang ako. Thanks.
On vacation...

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
Sa nasubukan ko Roland JC series. Naalala ko may studio sa tapat ni Albertos nun sa nepa Q-mart na naka JC120 yata. Ilang effects and pedals na nasubukan ko dun ganda pa rin ng tunog. Even the older overdrives ok. Pero if you plan to use a tube screamer on a 10 watter solid state I believe it beats the purpose to drive that amp. At least mga 50 watts na solid state sana. Even the Marshall valvestate (1st version) maganda rin mag handle ng overdrive like tube screamer. Pero it's hybrid, but for it's still close to solid state.

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »

Recap tayo:
Tubescreamer was not meant to be a stand-alone overdrive. It was made primarily for boosting tube amps.

Let's rephase that:
Tubescreamer was not meant to be a stand-alone overdrive. It was made primarily for boosting A GAIN STAGE.

replace GAIN STAGE with the following words and you will achieve similar effect, with varying degrees of smoothness/musicality:

1. all tube-preamp
2. solid state preamp
3. distortion pedal

If you have #1 or #2 in your setup, then you'll need to bring your amp/s for consistency. If you don't feel like bringing an amp, bring #3.

So to answer your question:
TS into a solid state amp? Yes.
TS into a clean solid state amp? hmmm depends on your purpose and playing style.
TS pushing a dirty solid state amp? Yes, but only if you like the sound of the preamp distortion to begin with.

Sa nasubukan ko Roland JC series. Naalala ko may studio sa tapat ni Albertos nun sa nepa Q-mart na naka JC120 yata. Ilang effects and pedals na nasubukan ko dun ganda pa rin ng tunog.

I remember that studio. sarap nung Roland na yun. I had a chance to plug into that nung mejo mabago-bago pa.

Genesis >> Boss DS-1 >> JC120, playing Laklak by The Teeth = Brootz.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »

Well maliban na lang talaga kung magdadala ng sariling Tube Amp sa gig na sa tingin ko masyadong hassle sa kagaya kong walang sasakyan considering may bitbit na akong gitara at pedals plus tube amp pa.

Get yourself a good tube amo so you can ditch the pedalboard, that's what I did hehe :) but i guess it really depends on how much you use pedals... masaya na kase ako sa guitar plugged straight sa amp and yun na, wala ng effects in between
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »
Recap tayo:
Tubescreamer was not meant to be a stand-alone overdrive. It was made primarily for boosting tube amps.

Let's rephase that:
Tubescreamer was not meant to be a stand-alone overdrive. It was made primarily for boosting A GAIN STAGE.

replace GAIN STAGE with the following words and you will achieve similar effect, with varying degrees of smoothness/musicality:

1. all tube-preamp
2. solid state preamp
3. distortion pedal

If you have #1 or #2 in your setup, then you'll need to bring your amp/s for consistency. If you don't feel like bringing an amp, bring #3.

TS into a clean solid state amp? hmmm depends on your purpose and playing style.
TS pushing a dirty solid state amp? Yes, but only if you like the sound of the preamp distortion to begin with.

I remember that studio. sarap nung Roland na yun. I had a chance to plug into that nung mejo mabago-bago pa.

Genesis >> Boss DS-1 >> JC120, playing Laklak by The Teeth = Brootz.

Yeah, I remember the caretaker of the studio, Toto was his name. ANd the owner of the studio was Lady Valerie she(he) was into big band.

There are older solid state amps with a push/pull boost knob that tries to emulate a tube amp. I tried to get some dirt from that boost channel and used an overdrive in front. Works pretty well.

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
Recap tayo:

Let's rephase that:

1. all tube-preamp
2. solid state preamp
3. distortion pedal

Great help! Thanks a lot Sir.  :wink:
On vacation...

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
TUBE AMP: when your signal is pushed to the limit, it (your signal) will start to break up (clip, distort). this is how tubes handle your signal level.
SS AMP: when your signal is pushed to the limit, it (your signal) wil be cut off from the clipped or distorted part. this is why ss amps are generally cleaner, because this is how transistors handle your signal level.

the tube screamer can be used on a solid state and can sound pretty good but is made to push or boost that broken up, clipped signal caused by the tubes.
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »
I've always had a TS9 in my pedal chain since playing in bands in college.  Personal experience, it didn't sound good with a Crate GX-15 by itself.  It rounds out my tone when placed in front an ML-2.  I like it so much on my Roland Cube 20 to boost the signal.  It's even better with a bit of delay and tremolo.  I don't use the pedal at all on my Laney VC-30, ironically the only tube amp I've got.

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
I don't use the pedal at all on my Laney VC-30, ironically the only tube amp I've got.

try it. :-)
Set your VC30 to around 50-60% gain, and use your TS the way Kirk Hammet and SRV use it: with the volume dimed and the treble close to all-the-way-up. Adjust other knobs to taste.

you might ask yourself "why can't i just plug in straight to the amp and dime the gain on the amp"? Well in many situations the TS >> Amp setup enables you to use less gain (therefore overall quieter signal chain) and still retain the chunk. The dynamics will also be better, with the setup responding better to picking attack.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »
Get yourself a good tube amo so you can ditch the pedalboard, that's what I did hehe :) but i guess it really depends on how much you use pedals... masaya na kase ako sa guitar plugged straight sa amp and yun na, wala ng effects in between

Same here. I would suggest getting an amp and bringing it to gigs. kahit mahirap magbuhat at least dala mo ung tone mo.

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Same here. I would suggest getting an amp and bringing it to gigs. kahit mahirap magbuhat at least dala mo ung tone mo.
In short, save up for a car first
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

korek. kesa idaan mo sa mrt/lrt tapos biglang buhos ulan.  :-D

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
I have a clone TS pedal and I use it as a stand alone OD. It doesn't matter if its a tube or an SS amp as long as its a good amp, I can still get sweet-as-hell sounds out of it.  :-D
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »

Mas inuna ko sir ang house and lot. Mas kailangan ko kasi yun.
On vacation...