hulika

Author Topic: what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?  (Read 18325 times)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 02:28:16 AM »
Quote from: Bammbamm
The Great BB King was once asked a similar question.Why do you sing the blues?
Ang sagot nya,..Mas malaki ang kinita nya sa unang gig nya kumpara sa kinikita nya sa day job nya! :shock:

youre half right about that...

i think he did have a day job.....then he chose to playing guitar and singing on some street corner. he had a repertoire of gospel songs and some blues songs.

when he played the gospel songs...folks would come up to him and tell him he was good!

when he played blues songs....they would give him money when he passed the hat...

so that's why he became a blues singer instead of a gospel singer :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »
I don't know if I have but you better not stop me. hehehe.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 10:19:18 AM »
LORRRDDD HAVE MERCY!!!!! :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
Who needs the right? No one!  It's inborn in all of us. Anytime you've lost a love, been down and out, had a fight, heard about some injustice, and just living gives you the right.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »
actually we all know that...but like i said...other people are not inclined to bluesy when the mood strikes...

some are into metal...pop...rnb( w/c is derived from blues)

to quote robben ford " in order to play the blues you have to go through a lot of suffering"

i guess that means all of us huh? :lol:

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2006, 02:33:15 PM »
"I don't need to play the Blues, I'm such a happy guy"  - Eddie Van Halen

pero idol nya si Clapton hehehe

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »
good one perf! +1!! :lol:

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »
Robbin Ford plays a mean guitar but as far as him singing the blues it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. His voice sounds too clean, like he himself has not suffered enough. So to get back to your point who has the right, maybe we all do and some us should just play our given instruments and leave the singing to someone else. Give me Johnny Winters voice anytime over Robbin Ford. Now theres a a voice fit for the blues.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 12:38:42 AM »
you may have a point there whitey... :lol:

how about the simpsons? homer's rendition of  ' born under a bad sign' aint half-bad. and that guy certainly suffers alot...being homer for real makes your brain feel funny---even if you don't have one.

also lisa simpson's voice--her voice is kinda wiry....on the song 'god bless the child'.

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 01:06:03 AM »
I love that rendition the only problem is Homer doesn't  know he is suffering. Just imagine if he knew. I think Space Ghost could get down as he suffers a lot and it would be awesome.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 05:32:22 AM »
Quote from: whitey
I love that rendition the only problem is Homer doesn't  know he is suffering. Just imagine if he knew. I think Space Ghost could get down as he suffers a lot and it would be awesome.

hearing those guys sing, would certainly give us listeners the blues----for suffering through it all..... :o

greg allman...now he's got something to sing about. lost his brother and another bandmate to sick motorcycle accident, w/c happened a year apart from each other......trying to move on despite the ups and downs of the band.....getting married  to cher eventually getting a divorce....now that's some serious blues...

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
You should question the lawyers who are into blues guitars buying em with their goldcards :lol:[/quote]

One of the most known bluesman of Hong Kong is a lawyer. He is an accomplished blues guitarists and has put out CDs and help other blues players.
He may have used his Gold ...no.. maybe Platinum card to buy all the equipment to put up a venue for other 'strugggling' blues artist to jam.

He is a bluesman.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »
Quote from: 430nmtune
You should question the lawyers who are into blues guitars buying em with their goldcards :lol:

One of the most known bluesman of Hong Kong is a lawyer. He is an accomplished blues guitarists and has put out CDs and help other blues players.
He may have used his Gold ...no.. maybe Platinum card to buy all the equipment to put up a venue for other 'strugggling' blues artist to jam.

He is a bluesman.[/quote]
Was it the guy who had a bar in TST?
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »
caregiver blues in G

woke up this morning,
wipe the [gooey brown stuff] of the ass of the old man again.

(i said) i woke up this morning,

smells kind of funky,
passed out til it was quarter after ten.

(sabay albert king turnaround)

i am a caregiver. i wipe the [gooey brown stuff] of old men. it's [gooey brown stuff], it's funky...there for e i am a bluesman. :lol:  8)

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »
He is a bluesman.[/quote]
Was it the guy who had a bar in TST?[/quote]

Aheymen to that mistah! hehehe.

Offline messyhands

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2006, 01:46:02 AM »
Somewhat related to what delta posted... blues lovers don't go into a blues mode -- it's always on and interwoven with things closest to their hearts.

As for having the right to sing and play the blues, I believe there really is no exclusivity.  For me it's something you do for yourself -- on-stage as a performer, off-stage as part of the audience or all in your lonesome.  If it gets you off, it's always gonna be there for you man! :wink:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 01:59:21 AM »
yes messy hands! thank you!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
Quote from: messyhands
Somewhat related to what delta posted... blues lovers don't go into a blues mode -- it's always on and interwoven with things closest to their hearts.

As for having the right to sing and play the blues, I believe there really is no exclusivity.  For me it's something you do for yourself -- on-stage as a performer, off-stage as part of the audience or all in your lonesome.  If it gets you off, it's always gonna be there for you man! :wink:

Uy messyhands! Dats deep!  :lol: You need to sing more often, man! Kelan next D3 gig?!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 12:31:06 PM »
Quote from: whitey
Robbin Ford plays a mean guitar but as far as him singing the blues it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. His voice sounds too clean, like he himself has not suffered enough. ... Give me Johnny Winters voice anytime over Robbin Ford. Now theres a a voice fit for the blues.

Hmmmm... Dunno if I can agre with that... Been listening to Robben Ford's Handful of Blues cd while driving home from work lately. He's got a unique phrasing and inflection, which I find difficult to sing along with and get right. I admit it may not sound bluesy for everyone, but darn difficult to get "plakado." But if his voice doesn't move you, you might at least agree that his weather-beaten face gives him license to sing the blues! Hehehe! Joke!

I love Johnny Winter too; his Johnny Winter And Live album is one of my all-time favorites. But IMHO, he tended to shout out his lyrics more than sing 'em.

Well, to each his own, but they're both good! Cheers!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 03:39:13 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
caregiver blues in G

woke up this morning,

(i said) i woke up this morning,

smells kind of funky,
passed out til it was quarter after ten.

(sabay albert king turnaround)

i am a caregiver. i wipe the [gooey brown stuff] of old men. it's [gooey brown stuff], it's funky...there for e i am a bluesman. :lol:  8)

..real devotion and raw talent right there bro :roll:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2006, 04:18:45 PM »
aaaaawwww shucks brother pallas.... :oops:  :lol:  :D

Offline messyhands

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 05:26:30 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe

Uy messyhands! Dats deep!  :lol: You need to sing more often, man! Kelan next D3 gig?!

Hehe...sana nga kahit D3 EB magkaroon eh.  Wala pa ulit kami jam since Conspiracy!

Offline musikanitwist

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006, 10:20:07 PM »
ang pagkanta ng blues, bow.
pag ako'y nasa banyo't
naglalabas ng sama ng loob,
aking dinadala
ang mahal kong musika.

lulan ng iPod ko
ay ang paboritong tone
ng malupit na gitara
ni Stevie Ray Vaughn.

sa saliw ng walang tapos
na pagdating ng mga nota,
sinimulan ko na't baka matapos pa
ang aking walang lyrics na pagkanta.

tuloy lang, tuloy lang,
parang walang pupuntahan.
Ang sarap magimprovise
sa blues ay isabay.

Saktong sa pagtapos
ng love struck baby,
ubos na rin ang laman
ng aking tummy :D
YAN!
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them.
Louis Armstrong
 http://akibanda.multiply.com  MSG RJUR PATAK BY ABS COMBO to 2959

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
To quote wikipedia: Jazz is rooted on the blues.

I can't play blues, not just yet. I might cry if I play the blues. I'm more of a jazz person but I can't play jazz yet.  :D

Sometimes you just can't talk anymore. Words aren't enough. That's why I resort to blues.

Yeah, it really cleanses you. After playing it you feel so bright inside. The notes don't matter anymore, you just want to say you're sad by just playing you instrument.

Listening to blues somehow gets you cleansed, too. It affects people in a mysterious way.

If you can't spill your guts on the platter then just sing/play the blues.  :D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Re: what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »
Erap can sing the blues! He's got so many wimmins, but from behind bars all he's got for company is his hand ...  :mrgreen:

Playing and/or singing the blues is a stress reliever from a toxic day, whether the hassle comes from traffic, work, neighbors, home, kids, wife, etc.

Found this comic piece from the web:

How to Sing the Blues
A Primer for Beginners

Most Blues begin with "Woke up this mornin'." It is usually bad to start the Blues with "I got a good woman" unless you stick something mean in the next line.
Example: "I got a good woman with the meanest dog in town."

Blues are simple. After you have the first line right, repeat it. Then find something else that rhymes. Sort of.
Example: "Got me a good woman with the meanest dog in town...oh, yeah!...Got me a good woman with the meanest dog in town. He got teeth like Margaret Thatcher, and he weigh 'bout 500 pound."

Blues cars are Chevys, Cadillacs, and broke down trucks circa 1957. Other acceptable Blues transportation are a Greyhound bus or a "southbound train." Note: A BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, mini-van, or sport utility vehicle is NOT a Blues car.

"Walkin'" plays a major part in the Blues lifestyle. So does "fixin' to die" and "findin' a good woman."

Teenagers can't sing the Blues. Only adults sing the Blues. Adulthood, when it comes to the Blues, means old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

You can have the Blues in New York City or Los Angeles but not in New Haven or Phoenix. Hard times in Vermont or North Dakota are just a minor depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the best places to have the Blues, but Abilene, Mobile, and New Orleans are ok in a pinch.

The following colors do NOT belong in the Blues: antique violet, champagne, mauve, taupe, and peach.

Blues is not a matter of color, however. Tiger Woods can't sing the blues; Sonny Liston can.

You can't have the Blues in an office building or a shopping mall; the lighting is all wrong. Other bad places for the Blues: Kmart, gallery openings, and the supermarket. Good places for the Blues: a jail house, your mama's back porch, beside the highway, bottom of a rot-gut whiskey glass, or a solitary room in a fleabag hotel.

No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit or anything by Ralph Lauren.

Do you have the right to sing the Blues?

Yes, if:
  • your first name is a southern state. Example: Georgia
  • you're blind
  • you shot a man in Memphis.

No, if:
  • you're deaf
  • anyone in your family drives a Lotus
  • you have a trust fund.

Yanni, Julio Iglesias, and Barbara Streisand may not sing the Blues. Ever.

If you ask for water and your baby gives you gasoline, it's the Blues. Other Blues beverages are:
  • malt liquor
  • Irish whiskey
  • muddy water
  • Thunderbird wine
  • one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer. At the same time.

Blues beverages are NOT:
  • a mai-tai
  • a glass of Chardonnay
  • a Yoo Hoo (all flavors)

If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is also a Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse, or being denied treatment in an emergency room. It is NOT a Blues death if you die during a liposuction treatment.

Some Blues Names for women: Sadie, Louise, Bessie, and Baby.
Women's names which are NOT Blues names: Heather, Jennifer, Emily, and Alexandra.

Some Blues Names for men: Joe, Willie, Joe Willie, Hank, and Po' Boy.
Men's names which are NOT Blues names: Geoffrey, Damian, and Keith.

Persons with names like Sierra or Sequoia will NOT be permitted to sing the Blues, no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

Need a Blues Name? Try this mix and match starter kit:
  • name of physical infirmity (Blind, Asthmatic, etc.) or character flaw (Dishonest, Low Down, etc.)
  • or substitute name of a fruit (Lemon, Fig, Persimmon); or use first -and- fruit names
  • finish with the last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)
Examples: Low Down Persimmon Johnson; One-Handed Fig Fillmore.

Need a Blues instrument? Play one or more of the following & alternate with husky voice riffs:
  • harmonica
  • gih-tar
  • fiddle
  • sax
  • pie-anner (in need of tuning)

Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione