hulika

Author Topic: what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?  (Read 18284 times)

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
Re: what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 03:48:10 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

put it this way guys, this is not a put down on people who cant play music......i learn from my experiences and it's also fun to learn from  others..

im sure some of you if not most have read the real life experiences of bluesmen like muddy waters,howlin wolf, bb king and srv.

muddy & howlin wolf were our links to the delta bluesmen. there are stories where they worked the land when it was hard as a rock and the cold cuts you to the bone. manual labor...that gives you the blues..

srv? was working as a bus boy for the neighborhood burger stand...while his roots in listening to blues...i think it was his experience there at that hamburger stand that became his deciding point....when he fell through grease barrels, that got him covered in oil from the chest or waist down where he said " i wanna play guitar like albert king"...this is no way to live a life.

for blues listeners...im sorry but yeah...you might not be able to make music your profession but...that doesnt make you exempted...you can 'sing' the blues too.... some of you might even have more right to sing the blues than the rest of us 'pro' musicians...

and let's not blame lawyers with their gold credit cards---they can sing the blues too...Lord knows how tough it is being a lawyer these days...sometimes the pay aint worth it.....

singing the blues---i didnt mean just singin/playing professionally...maybe it's 'living' the blues.hey, we've suffered enough...and now we have to live the blues? no way!hehehe

blues is healing....it's like the cleansing of the spirit...in general, music is the rebirth of the very core of your soul.

but the blues best represents this inner cleansing...this experience, because it fits the music...the mood..the lyrics....well better than hip hop...

when you listen to hiphop....people wiggle their butts....

ive known to play blues when im in the company of certain people...and they start to make gestures of ordering drinks and bottles of beers...
 :twisted:

cultural? d ata relevant sa pinoy yun...kasi bakit d tayo nag stick sa kundiman? yan ang version natin ng blues e..mas naging hit satin ang blues and derivations thereof...kasi pinoys know suffering like the back of their hands.... :oops:

no you cant stop me from askin, that's why it is a forum..im not questioning your abilities or lack thereof.this is not a measure of talenrt guys.compare notes lang, parang AA meeting,hehehe....

coz reading your posts have intrigued me.....some of you just refuse let it out, and resort to jokes which is fine, im still learning a lot.....kasi personal na....bahala na po kayo kung gusto ninyo i-share

maybe consider this a challenge or a wake up call......i always need one, everyday man :lol:

what? we have like a 100+ views on this thread? really, i've opened a can of worms because most people dont want their buttons to be pushed.

i cant apologize coz i cant think of a good reason....kaka-intriga e...you want me to just leave the subject alone? :lol: naaaaahhhh

Ang musika ay natural high para sa akin kahit ano pang genre classical,rock, pop, reggae,ska, akapela, world music, gumagaan ang pakiramdam ko, na babawasan yung problema, nawawala pagiging suicidal ko di ko alm bakit ako suicidal, sa blues sapol lalo na pagmedyo up ang beat putang i... parang sinasabi ko sa mundo hindi ako mamatay ngayon o bukas..... pero pagnawala ang musika yun sigurado katapusan na ng mundo 100% 

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »

You should question the lawyers who are into blues guitars buying em with their goldcards :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

and let's not blame lawyers with their gold credit cards---they can sing the blues too...Lord knows how tough it is being a lawyer these days...sometimes the pay aint worth it.....

This topic thread was brought back from down under. I was back reading and I noticed these two statements.

I know naman that they were not written seriously. And I am thankful to B2D for standing up for the lawyers.  :lol:

I just want to add that I am a lawyer and I have been "into" the blues for the last 10 years. I don't know if I am qualified to sing the blues. I am the first to admit that I can't sing the blues because I am f**king sintonado. But my fingers are quite the opposite.

In some cases I have handled, some people have been affected workwise and financially  :evil:. So, it is fair to say that I have given the blues to some people. Qualified na ba?

Now, after getting an advanced degree in IP, I have transformed myself as an advocate for artists in counseling and protecting their intellectual creations.  8-)

Sana, I can still jam with you guys when there is another gig. But they are just too far from where I live. Next time, closer to south of Makati.   :wink:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »

You should question the lawyers who are into blues guitars buying em with their goldcards :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This topic thread was brought back from down under. I was back reading and I noticed these two statements.

I know naman that they were not written seriously. And I am thankful to B2D for standing up for the lawyers.  :lol:

I just want to add that I am a lawyer and I have been "into" the blues for the last 10 years. I don't know if I am qualified to sing the blues. I am the first to admit that I can't sing the blues because I am f**king sintonado. But my fingers are quite the opposite.

In some cases I have handled, some people have been affected workwise and financially  :evil:. So, it is fair to say that I have given the blues to some people. Qualified na ba?

Now, after getting an advanced degree in IP, I have transformed myself as an advocate for artists in counseling and protecting their intellectual creations.  8-)

Sana, I can still jam with you guys when there is another gig. But they are just too far from where I live. Next time, closer to south of Makati.   :wink:
You rule ser....... :-D
Ive known a guy here who is a solicitor and MAN can he play the blues.

Anyways sabi nga ni John Lee Hooker...
When Adam met Eve thats when the blues started....something like that but I interpret that as a basic human emotion no matter who you are or where you from or what timeline you existed in....the blues :-D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:49:04 PM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2006, 12:54:31 AM »
dami ko natututunan dito ayus!  :-)

i think blues is a black thing, a music so natural to most black people...yet many other races learned the language and i guess it's not really about just getting the right notes of the blues but also getting in to the right moment, capturing it while you play and sing the blues.

i really like the way jazzers do the blues, they could really bring it to a higher level than some blues-rockers do.  just my opinion.  :-)  i could relate more in jazz-blues and really feel the honesty of the statements they try to communicate to you.  i dont think i have the license to sing the blues but i just try to be honest with myself as i play any given blues song.  Blues sounds so easy but it's not that easy to play.  i believe honesty is important in playing it. Feel it.  :-)

I dig the Miles Davis blues, Tower of Power, James Brown, Allman Brothers, Robben Ford, etc.

OT : check out John Mclaughlin's Industrial Zen album. There's a track entitled New Blues Old Bruise (with Eric Johnson).  WOw!!! BLues on a very different level of expression.  Hanep!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:03:50 AM by rodney vidanes »
John 3:16

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »
right on blues bros from all over...we're all learning something new..haha.

you dont have to be poor to have the right. basta you know suffering..you're qualified.

d ba meron din ung nobody knows you when you're down and out...about a guy who had it made pero ginamit lang sya ng mga kaibigan nya.

bodhisattva, that primer was so funny!and leetour....glad that you're on our side!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2006, 01:53:55 AM »
Even doctors get the blues --- Dr. Ted Nickeloff (Nickelhoff? Never could get his last name) is the famous "Dr. Ted) and he's a real M.D. - he usually jams with Wally Gonzalez.

Apart from this a lot of musicians I know work professionally in IT. Maybe Information technology gives them the blues... or the rocks or jazzes as it were.

I even know one retro band (8 Track) composed of dentists. Egad!

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2006, 03:07:53 PM »
Apart from this a lot of musicians I know work professionally in IT. Maybe Information technology gives them the blues...

Hehe... I'm not a hardcore "IT guy" per se but work in the IT sector too.  Do "IT guys" call their mistakes during performance "bugs" and work instead on their "GUI" to hide them? ;-) 

*Just messing with our IT friends out there :-)*

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »
Apart from this a lot of musicians I know work professionally in IT. Maybe Information technology gives them the blues...

Hehe... I'm not a hardcore "IT guy" per se but work in the IT sector too.  Do "IT guys" call their mistakes during performance "bugs" and work instead on their "GUI" to hide them? ;-) 

It is rumored that band rehearsals are sometimes called "debugging"and "user acceptance testing"... hehe

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 09:04:13 AM »

It is rumored that band rehearsals are sometimes called "debugging"and "user acceptance testing"... hehe

Hehe... this could go on for n # of pages!

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 01:55:17 PM »
it's doctor nicholoff jim

kasangga ko dati yan na kung saan-san jumajam. syet ang tyaga namin noon.para lang makatugtog, kung kani-kanino nakiki jam

kasama namin noon doing the rounds...mason ring, paulo manuel,and other guys who i cant remember --kasi i never bothered asking for it kasi we got along better with 'pre' or 'bro'...'tsong' :-D

the informal name that we used was 'watsisname brothers blues band'...ang kulit no?
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline ponky26

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2006, 08:53:32 AM »
 :cry: share lang..
I never even noticed it.. I get into blues when my DAD got very ill & bedridden.. later died.. December last year
Am not a blues pro or a certified blues player..
I just started learnin blues bout two years ago. It relieves a lot of  stress playing it.
I can hang on all day listening to same clapton, SRV, BB, albert king songs.
Its the passion of playing it really turns me on. You can transpose your feelings with your fingers & have it translated into a melody on your guitar.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2006, 10:49:35 AM »
:cry: share lang..
I never even noticed it.. I get into blues when my DAD got very ill & bedridden.. later died.. December last year
Am not a blues pro or a certified blues player..
I just started learnin blues bout two years ago. It relieves a lot of  stress playing it.
I can hang on all day listening to same clapton, SRV, BB, albert king songs.
Its the passion of playing it really turns me on. You can transpose your feelings with your fingers & have it translated into a melody on your guitar.

Sorry to hear that.... but blues is indeed a great vehicle for expressing one's emotions.  Good on ya ponky.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2007, 04:08:04 AM »
play them blues brother ponky....

i get the same way even if it werent my relative....had two patients have recently passed away, it's hard holding back the tears..in the same way im happy they're in a better place.

Offline thinkfloyd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2007, 02:35:50 AM »
Sometimes, the blues don't have to come from a personal experience. There are some out there who play the blues for the downtrodden, for the soldiers at war, for the sick, the bereaved, the lost souls, other people, in short, who inspire them to play the blues. Though regarded as a country musician, Johnny Cash sang about the pain and suffering of others. Have you heard him sing the blues? As heart-wrenching as the saddest howlings of Leadbelly.

"If Johnny Cash were black, he'd be a bluesman..." - Bob Dylan.

"If Chuck Berry were a white man, he'd a been a country musician..." - country musician Buck Owens 

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »
I sing 'em blues coz i'm not satisfied...
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline ganjie

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2007, 12:15:14 AM »
i've lived my early years up to my mid 20's with blessings and did not appreciate any of them or acknowledge the Lord... living in SIN in pursuit of superficial nirvana. i've tried everything from substance driven self destruction to spiritual blashpemy and most of everything in between. 

i hit rock bottom after that.. i lost my family, my self and everything i thought that counted.

then i met Jesus who put me back on my feet and gave me hope..
ever since i gave my life to Christ i've felt the happiness, love and contentment that i've been searching for but never found/felt during my earlier years..

on this note, i'd say.. GOD gave me my right to the blues.

and i am gratefull.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:24:58 AM by ganjie »
... pain is a purifier and suffering builds character ...
... Jesus Rocks! ...

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2007, 12:29:41 AM »
Amen, bro. Amen to that.  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2007, 10:14:34 AM »
do i have the right to play blues? shouldnt we all musicians have the right to play all kinds of music?  :roll:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2007, 05:22:58 PM »
do i have the right to play blues? shouldnt we all musicians have the right to play all kinds of music?  :roll:

Yup, heheheh +1,000,000 on that sentiment.
Parang "What gives you the right to play The Jazz??"

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »

Yup, heheheh +1,000,000 on that sentiment.
Parang "What gives you the right to play The Jazz??"

:-D

(1) "Yeah, I've been on The Google..."   
(2)  "We should promote the Internets..."

- George Bush

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 03:36:36 AM »
john 5 plays bluegrass.

The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »
best way is go back to the roots of blues, how it started, where it started, who started it, why is it called the "blues", how it evolved, etc..

maybe from there, we will find the answer to the question:
"what gives you the right to sing the blues?"

william251082

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »
what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?
your heart

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:56 PM »
Do I have the right to play the blues? Do I have the right to play Jazz? I dunno. All I know is that I like to  :-)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
You have the right to sing the blues...
anything you say can & will be used against you in a court of law...
if you cannot afford to sing the blues, the court will appoint you a blues singer to represent you...
do you understand these rights as I have explained them to you?
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3