hulika

Author Topic: what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?  (Read 18282 times)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
what gives you the right to sing the blues?!?
« on: September 08, 2006, 03:07:23 AM »
is it your birthright? or a sad situation you're in? money problems? problems with your mom?dad? girlfriend? wife?

or wala lang...trip mo lang kasi ang blues..... 8)
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:54:04 AM »
hope this doesnt offend anyone....it's just that as individuals we all have reasons why we have music as a hobby/life/profession in general...and pick blues/jazz specifically to express ourselves.

all responses are welcomed....mapa-senti man, or nakakatawang experiences.....something you inherited from a older acquiantance like a dad or uncle or older bro....

is it because you had tragedy in your early childhood and it just so happens that blues/jazz was the music you easily latched on to?

just share your personal experiences...be funny...be serious...it's all good, we can all learn from each other right?
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:14:56 AM »
honestly, playing blues is cathartic for me.  nailalabas ko ang stress, pent up emotions, or experiences (esp. kung orig) sa blues.  pwede rin ako tumawa through blues pag yun ang mood ko.  pwede ko rin ilabas ang galit or commentary ko about life events, politics, morality, etc.  maraming emotions ako nako-communicate sa blues.  and the blues has always been that way, even when the orig black guys did it.  di lang laging malungkot ang blues.

when i play a sing the song or play a guitar solo, i feel like i'm expressing my emotions. that's why kahit simple 12 or 8 bar lang yung kanta, it's still a very powerful medium for me.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
Erap can sing the blues! He's got so many wimmins, but from behind bars all he's got for company is his hand ...  :mrgreen:

Playing and/or singing the blues is a stress reliever from a toxic day, whether the hassle comes from traffic, work, neighbors, home, kids, wife, etc.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:21:36 AM »
your answers are good...but i wanna hear something more personal....maybe not down to the exact detail...

kumbaga storya ng buhay mo..... 8) how did you see the light? 8)

what made you claim the blues yours in the place..

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 11:33:53 AM »
Bigat naman ng hinahanap mo b2d!

Etong aking "right to sing the blues" claim:

Storya ng buhay ko: I am the reincarnation of Blind Lemon Jefferson, therefore I do not see the light  8)  8)  8)  8) . So I have the right to sing the blues.  :lol:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
your answers are good...but i wanna hear something more personal....maybe not down to the exact detail...

kumbaga storya ng buhay mo..... 8) how did you see the light? 8)

what made you claim the blues yours in the place..

You want personal?  I got a bunch.  But if I simply shared you the lyrics, it'd be too personal and outside of their musical context.

In short, hintayin na lang ang release ng cd!  hehe...

Btw, some sources of insipiration for playing/singing blues are vicarious experiences.  Dami rin ako nyan... songs about what other people go/went thru.  Even just playing covers often evokes those type of emotions for me.  Lalo na gospel tunes. Nggggiiiniiiiig!

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 12:23:46 PM »
medyo mabigat nga blind lemon jefferson.... 8)

yan nga kasi purpose din why the query. para may matutunan tayo sa isa't isa........

oh hindi kailangan ng sordid,graphic details.....

kasi given na yung " kaya ko gusto ang blues kasi dyan ko na-eexpress ang frustrations ko sa gobyerno..atbp" ...i mean that's in general.

i mean for me, if it weren't for the guitar or the blues i wouldn't be where i am now....and if it weren't for the blues..patay na cguro ako ngayon.

the blues isnt normal for people my age,background. new wave at rock ang upbringing ko talaga. nagsimula ako sa blues noong natuto ako mag piano...then later guitar...pero d ko talaga music to...although familiar ako sa medium....

but then i joined a band that exclusively plays blues...and at the same time i was having troubles with my family..finances...drug problems...normal pa din naman cguro yun for some families...but here the music and performing it weekly became my escape...

i was initially attracted sa gitara lang muna...then later i learned about hound dog taylor, muddy waters, albert king...there significance to the genre of guitar playing....i learned about soul...it became my salvation..

i was gonna be a classical guitar player...worse...i could have given in to drug addiction and i could have gotten myself in jail...or be lying down in a pit somewhere....dont ask me why, i know for certain that i was heading down that road.

i didnt choose the blues...the blues chose me and it became my salvation....sounds cocky, but that's the way i feel.... 8)

o kayo naman :cry: sniff, sniff

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 03:37:36 PM »
Its a pretty basic emotion, self expression. Ive had the blues and sang the blues before I listened to blues music. It applies in general to everyone.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 03:49:16 PM »
Quote from: pallas
Its a pretty basic emotion, self expression. Ive had the blues and sang the blues before I listened to blues music. It applies in general to everyone.

yup it is general....but why "the blues" in general--mali, in particular dapat? bakit hindi classical or pop like some?

sa metal madami din namang malungkot na kanta...self expression din naman for example ang "fade to black" ng metallica for metal...."jeremy" by pearl jam for grunge....

for some it's easier to express their misery/sadness thru rock....iba blues....iba jazz naman....iba cha-cha :lol:

pero why? :(

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 06:16:10 PM »

yup it is general....but why "the blues" in general? bakit hindi classical or pop like some?

sa metal madami din namang malungkot na kanta...self expression din naman for example ang "fade to black" ng metallica for metal...."jeremy" by pearl jam for grunge....

for some it's easier to express their misery/sadness thru rock....iba blues....iba jazz naman....iba cha-cha :lol:

You think its pop or rock or contemporary but its all blues baby.
If Robert Johnson didnt do all those songs about death, love, poverty, heartache and damnation of the soul then you just might wonder how would Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Slayer and Madonna would sound like.

Beck and Moby even face-lifted the blues by putting hip hop beats and drum machine tracks on it,  you definitely can hear that bluesy feel when Nina sings her version of Piano in the dark. Blues is not all 12bars and booze, its pretty broad thats why its so easy to just fal into it and use it s a medium.
You think its different but its all one song....to me that is 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 11:33:49 PM »

yup it is general....but why "the blues" in general? bakit hindi classical or pop like some?

If Robert Johnson didnt do all those songs about death, love, poverty, heartache and damnation of the soul then you just might wonder how would Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Slayer and Madonna would sound like.

Beck and Moby even face-lifted the blues by putting hip hop beats and drum machine tracks on it,  you definitely can hear that bluesy feel when Nina sings her version of Piano in the dark. Blues is not all 12bars and booze, its pretty broad thats why its so easy to just fal into it and use it s a medium.

oh you're talkin about music in general again....that's cool 8)

i knew i would ruffle a few feathers by posting this....ok blues...pop, alternative, metal, latin, cha-cha, folk...and every western influenced genre....is one and the same....blues

so how about music formed way before blues? classical is blues too?

robert johnson certainly couldnt have come up with that...music dedicated/created for kings and royalty....for the church and whatever.

blues is a totally different thing....everything in 20-21st century...music existing from then on may or may not be directly influenced by the blues...but everything i daresay, is blues influenced..to some degree.

im talkin about what would make you feel justified in playing this genre.

not enough money to pay for the rent? school? for food?

no money, no honey? you're not getting any? baby girl gone and left you?worse, left with another guy?

boss not paying you enough? too much work? no work at all? no vacation?

bad luck? hell hounds on your trail?

booty call?

yeah, you're probably right about saying it's all one song.....but that doesnt mean everybody can sing it..otherwise we'll all be singing the blues....and not everybody can sing/play/live the blues.... :lol:

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 09:53:30 AM »

...not everybody can sing/play/live the blues.... :lol:

True. That makes us blues fans/fanatics and weekend warriors out to be posers.  :lol:

I love the genre, but to answer the thread title, I wouldn't have the right to call myself a bluesman. But that won't stop me from enjoying the genre and playing  when I can, jamming at home or out with friends.  :D

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 05:46:38 PM »

oh you're talkin about music in general again....that's cool 8)

i knew i would ruffle a few feathers by posting this....ok blues...pop, alternative, metal, latin, cha-cha, folk...and every western influenced genre....is one and the same....blues

so how about music formed way before blues? classical is blues too?

robert johnson certainly couldnt have come up with that...music dedicated/created for kings and royalty....for the church and whatever.

blues is a totally different thing....everything in 20-21st century...music existing from then on may or may not be directly influenced by the blues...but everything i daresay, is blues influenced..to some degree.

im talkin about what would make you feel justified in playing this genre.

not enough money to pay for the rent? school? for food?

no money, no honey? you're not getting any? baby girl gone and left you?worse, left with another guy?

boss not paying you enough? too much work? no work at all? no vacation?

bad luck? hell hounds on your trail?

booty call?

yeah, you're probably right about saying it's all one song.....but that doesnt mean everybody can sing it..otherwise we'll all be singing the blues....and not everybody can sing/play/live the blues.... :lol:

My feathers are fine 8) If you think you can play and sing the blues then you really dont need anybodys permission to have the right to play it and sing it. You shouldnt be too concerned bout what people say about what you want to express inside and with what genre you want to deliver the goods.
You should question the lawyers who are into blues guitars buying em with their goldcards :lol:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 06:55:31 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

put it this way guys, this is not a put down on people who cant play music......i learn from my experiences and it's also fun to learn from  others..

im sure some of you if not most have read the real life experiences of bluesmen like muddy waters,howlin wolf, bb king and srv.

muddy & howlin wolf were our links to the delta bluesmen. there are stories where they worked the land when it was hard as a rock and the cold cuts you to the bone. manual labor...that gives you the blues..

srv? was working as a bus boy for the neighborhood burger stand...while his roots in listening to blues...i think it was his experience there at that hamburger stand that became his deciding point....when he fell through grease barrels, that got him covered in oil from the chest or waist down where he said " i wanna play guitar like albert king"...this is no way to live a life.

for blues listeners...im sorry but yeah...you might not be able to make music your profession but...that doesnt make you exempted...you can 'sing' the blues too.... some of you might even have more right to sing the blues than the rest of us 'pro' musicians...

and let's not blame lawyers with their gold credit cards---they can sing the blues too...Lord knows how tough it is being a lawyer these days...sometimes the pay aint worth it.....

singing the blues---i didnt mean just singin/playing professionally...maybe it's 'living' the blues.hey, we've suffered enough...and now we have to live the blues? no way!hehehe

blues is healing....it's like the cleansing of the spirit...in general, music is the rebirth of the very core of your soul.

but the blues best represents this inner cleansing...this experience, because it fits the music...the mood..the lyrics....well better than hip hop...

when you listen to hiphop....people wiggle their butts....

ive known to play blues when im in the company of certain people...and they start to make gestures of ordering drinks and bottles of beers...
 :twisted:

cultural? d ata relevant sa pinoy yun...kasi bakit d tayo nag stick sa kundiman? yan ang version natin ng blues e..mas naging hit satin ang blues and derivations thereof...kasi pinoys know suffering like the back of their hands.... :oops:

no you cant stop me from askin, that's why it is a forum..im not questioning your abilities or lack thereof.this is not a measure of talenrt guys.compare notes lang, parang AA meeting,hehehe....

coz reading your posts have intrigued me.....some of you just refuse let it out, and resort to jokes which is fine, im still learning a lot.....kasi personal na....bahala na po kayo kung gusto ninyo i-share

maybe consider this a challenge or a wake up call......i always need one, everyday man :lol:

what? we have like a 100+ views on this thread? really, i've opened a can of worms because most people dont want their buttons to be pushed.

i cant apologize coz i cant think of a good reason....kaka-intriga e...you want me to just leave the subject alone? :lol: naaaaahhhh

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 09:32:26 AM »
If its personal for you then I hope i didnt offend you, all I know is we are just having a discussion. Your that committed as well to Blues then your one more guy thats worth my time to watch you on stage. :D

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 09:36:12 AM »
If its personal for you then I hope i didnt offend you, all I know is we are just having a discussion. Your that committed as well to Blues then your one more guy thats worth my time to watch you on stage. :D

none taken pallas......i hope that one day we'll be able to meet and i hope i'll be able to make you happy ....when i play onstage finally... :lol:

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »

none taken pallas......i hope that one day we'll be able to meet and i hope i'll be able to make you happy ....when i play onstage finally... :lol:

u dont need to make me happy bro :lol:. Got that covered ....good luck :D

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »

yup it is general....but why "the blues" in general--mali, in particular dapat? bakit hindi classical or pop like some?

tama ka meyng!!!halos lahat ng genre or style ng music eh may malungkot na kanta..pero palagay ko sa blues din galing lahat yon eh,ikanga eh blues ang pasimuno ng lahat..heheh.....ako hindi ako songer ng blues kasi yung guitar ko na lang ang pinapakanta ko...(sintunado nga lang lagi!!hehehhehehe!! :lol: )

saka hindi ko consider myself ah bluesmeyng!!i just love to see those legends to see them channeling their emotions to their chosen instrument..kahit ano pa yan!!!medyo nadadala lang ako sa passion nila at medyo nakakakilabot din panoorin or pakinggan yon...at sa blues mo lang ma experience yung ganung pakiramdam diba?

pero sa metallica at perjam..pag malungkot..medyo nakakatakot pa nga ang dating!!kasi galit sila at magulo..sa blues din naman meron ding angry emotions tulad nga ng mention ni bosing joring!!pero sa metal naman eh hindi lang galit..nagngingitngit pa sa galit!!hehehehhe!!! :wink:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
Quote from: v00doochi1d

tama ka meyng!!!halos lahat ng genre or style ng music eh may malungkot na kanta..pero palagay ko sa blues din galing lahat yon eh...ako hindi ako songer ng blues kasi yung guitar ko na lang ang pinapakanta ko...

saka hindi ko consider myself ah bluesmeyng!!i just love to see those legends to see them channeling their emotions to their chosen instrument..kahit ano pa yan!!!medyo nadadala lang ako sa passion nila at medyo nakakakilabot din panoorin or pakinggan yon...at sa blues mo lang ma experience yung ganung pakiramdam diba?

pero sa metallica at perjam..pag malungkot..medyo nakakatakot pa nga ang dating!!kasi magulo..hehehehhe!!!

yun nga difference no voodoo? hayop e...pag nakikinig ako ng metallica ang sarap mag suicide e....hahaha :lol: joke...baka magalit sakin nanay ko..heheh

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 10:32:01 AM »
Quote from: v00doochi1d

tama ka meyng!!!halos lahat ng genre or style ng music eh may malungkot na kanta..pero palagay ko sa blues din galing lahat yon eh...ako hindi ako songer ng blues kasi yung guitar ko na lang ang pinapakanta ko...

pero sa metallica at perjam..pag malungkot..medyo nakakatakot pa nga ang dating!!kasi magulo..hehehehhe!!!

yun nga difference no voodoo? hayop e...pag nakikinig ako ng metallica ang sarap mag suicide e....hahaha :lol: joke...baka magalit sakin nanay ko..heheh

o diba meyng!!!ledzep na lang kasi o kaya black sabbath pag gusto mo magulo.heheh..o diba?!!grooving groovy pa rin!!hehehe!!!!!jowk!!heheheh....pero dig din yan meyng!!! :wink:

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 12:04:55 PM »
when you listen to hiphop....people wiggle their butts....

Hahahahaha!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I'm enjoying reading your threads, man! Hope to catch you gig when you're in town...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 04:51:35 PM »
[quote="blues2death
coz reading your posts have intrigued me.....some of you just refuse let it out, and resort to jokes which is fine, im still learning a lot.....kasi personal na....bahala na po kayo kung gusto ninyo i-share

maybe consider this a challenge or a wake up call......i always need one, everyday man :lol:

what? we have like a 100+ views on this thread? really, i've opened a can of worms because most people dont want their buttons to be pushed.

i cant apologize coz i cant think of a good reason....kaka-intriga e...you want me to just leave the subject alone? :lol: naaaaahhhh[/quote]

blues2death - in my case, this forum is hardly the place to share the reason or inspiration for why i play/sing the blues.  some of those reasons are just too deep and sensitive: life and death situation, serious morality/ethics questions, philosophical and metaphysical contemplation. stuff that can make people crazy in the head.... or dead.  some of the lighter stuff find their way into songs. but the heavy stuff that we automatically hide in our subconscious (just to remain sane) gives me reason or inspiration and feed into my playing and singing blues. there are stuff in my subconscious that i'd rather keep there. but i know it finds its way into how i live my life, including singing/playing blues.

it's not that i've got nothing to share. i can't get myself to even physically talk about most of it.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 05:07:14 PM »
uh-huh...just what i thought delta.....
  :)

look...i don't know if you read my previous posts..but i'll say it again....no need to explain in detail...nothing graphic or anything...

just like the way you said...perfect delta....that's exactly what i'm looking for.... 8)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 10:21:15 PM »
The Great BB King was once asked a similar question.Why do you sing the blues?
Ang sagot nya,..Mas malaki ang kinita nya sa unang gig nya kumpara sa kinikita nya sa day job nya! :shock:
So Be It.