hulika

Author Topic: Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you...  (Read 115979 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you...
« Reply #350 on: December 27, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
same in the case of Holdsworth he changed guitars over the years from gibson sg to ibanez roadstar to carvin and Steinberger and still sound the same.

minsan mahirap din isipin kung paano ma-retain ang signature tone mo e, is it on pedals? skills? or amp? but definitely not on guitars. IMO  :-D

Sound the same? Have you heard them play in front of you live while changing from the Gibson SG and then to the Ibanez Roadstar and then into the Steinberger?  If not, how can we say its sound the same?  I am not trying to insult you because I have not heard them myself go thru that live with the same rig testing their different preferences, for all we know they might really sound the same.  But until its done, I cannot say at all.

Offline IncX

« Reply #351 on: December 27, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »

how come firemodel is not allowed to say "all ibanez guitars are dead sounding" without a flame war, while someone like me can say:

all pointy BC Rich guitars are cheesy!

lol

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #352 on: December 27, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
how come firemodel is not allowed to say "all ibanez guitars are dead sounding" without a flame war, while someone like me can say:

all pointy BC Rich guitars are cheesy!

lol

Oh it's not a flame war... I've been absent from the forums so long that coming back to GC without a friendly discussion with good old firemodel just didn't seem right hehehehe!

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #353 on: December 27, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
But that's just the thing the difference is so little when you are just listening that it doesn't seem to be that relevant to most of us.

I agree Ibanez quality may have deteriorated over the years but I still think that the sound is still very much dependent on who's playing the instrument and that there are still some magic left for some though maybe few.
The magic as we all know is inexplicable and I don't believe that the "magic" has something to do with production quality.

Bottom line is, though to us the Ibanez sound may not be the best thing (yes including me), others may find its sound more suitable to their playing than any other guitar that sounds better in our opinion.  :)

Thats the whole point, it IS relevant.  If it were not relevant, we would NOT be playing guitar but be playing synthesizers or singing like Willie Villarame.  I believe that it if you hear it live, it IS relevant because dynamics and expression come out in LIVE performances.  Now if your gear makes you sound like a CD in a live situation aka multi fx, than you have bad gear.  If production quality does not contribute to sound given the 'right' raw materials, then we can ask John Scofield to then downgrade to the artcore series right?  Not to knock off John, but I believe there are more professional guitarists and artists playing a Gibson 335 than an Ibanez 335 right?

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #354 on: December 27, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
Thats the whole point, it IS relevant.  If it were not relevant, we would NOT be playing guitar but be playing synthesizers or singing like Willie Villarame.  I believe that it if you hear it live, it IS relevant because dynamics and expression come out in LIVE performances.  Now if your gear makes you sound like a CD in a live situation aka multi fx, than you have bad gear.  If production quality does not contribute to sound given the 'right' raw materials, then we can ask John Scofield to then downgrade to the artcore series right?  Not to knock off John, but I believe there are more professional guitarists and artists playing a Gibson 335 than an Ibanez 335 right?

Wrong... Most professional guitar players can't afford a real Gibson 335. Most of them use the alternatives. Collectors have the real ones haha! How do you explain supposedly cheap and crappy guitars that sound better than the real deal? I've tried a Fernando strat that sounded better than the Fender strat plus it was sitting next to. The magic factor is just that... It's magic!

Even in a live situation, the difference between the guitars may be too little for the audience to notice given a blind fold test. I've watched Scott Henderson use different guitars in different shows but he sounded like himself to me every time.

Sure some guitars are better than others but that doesn't mean that they all sound dead right?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #355 on: December 27, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
The "magic" of Christmas. LOL.

Personally, I've avoided pursuing Ibanez guitars because I always end up having an exhausting and underwhelming experience testing so many guitars and not finding one that sounds great. I believe there are still some good sounding Ibanez guitars out there but I simply don't have the time to test hundreds of guitars just to find that diamond in the rough (and usually it's not in the finish that I like). I still wanted to buy an Ibanez about two years ago (I really wanted a 20th Anniversary RG550 or any other RG Prestige guitar) but after going to 4-5 different Guitar Center branches in different US states (in a span of a couple of weeks) and trying out ALL of their stocks (seriously... kapal mukha Noypi mode talaga ako nun), wala talaga e. Sobrang sayang sa time and effort at ang mahal pa ng gas sa US at that time. I think nasa $4.10 to a gallon. One visit to Tone Merchants was all it took for me to find several awesome Strats and Superstrats (Vigier, Don Grosh, Suhr, K-Line, etc.). Too bad I already splurged on a buttload of pedals back then kaya nawala yung budget ko for a guitar. Hahaha!

Medyo malayo talaga in terms of percentage, objectively speaking. A killer Suhr Pro Series Modern (~$2,200) or plain-top Custom Modern (~$2,500) is so much easier to find than a killer Ibanez RG, Vai or whatever (~$1,600-$2,500). Considering the prices, parang di na worth it mag-effort pa maghanap ng Ibanez e. Like Alex, I wish Ibanez can improve on its quality control. Kaya naman yun but I think it'll take years for them to achieve that. I believe Gibson has improved its QC as of late but allegedly, they're still sending their best guitars to Japan.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:41:46 PM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #356 on: December 27, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #357 on: December 27, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
a guy who likes shred but doesnt like whammy bars?!

yes. :)

Offline wonson3

« Reply #358 on: December 28, 2011, 06:10:47 AM »
if you play guitar for a living, it usually does not mean you make a lot of money, hehehehehe

just saying.

That could be true. If you are referring to a street guitar players and a broke a** band players.

But if you are a professional, that's a different story.
Music is a 5.56mm 3-round-burst played through my trigger. US Army 981st. HOO AH

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #359 on: December 28, 2011, 08:36:07 AM »
Iba na to..

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #360 on: December 28, 2011, 09:11:49 AM »
everyone seems to like the original guitars but does it matter than local? No i dont think so.
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #361 on: December 28, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
Yup a blue Paul Gilbert at Audiophile MOA.  Sounded as dead.

Alex, just in case you didn't know, no country other than Japan can sell J. CUSTOM Ibanez guitars.  Team J-Craft and Prestige models are NOT J. Custom models.  But then, I would agree to some extent that some Prestige guitars are dead and in some cases, you can get an Indonesian-made Ibanez and get almost the same quality as with the Prestige models, if selected properly. But IMO, J. Customs are up there...

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #362 on: December 28, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
Ask them if they ditched their Gibsons -- in short tanungin mo if they still have Gibsons at home -- for Ibanez.  I serisouly doubt that.  Besides, if they get paid a lot for edorsements, they can preteNd NOT to sacrifice tone.  Just my two cents.

Upon reading this i suddenly remembered what i previously saw from  Vintage Guitar Magazine, Paul Gilbert's collection of Vintage Ibanez guitars

Paul gilbert's an Ibanez nut, so it is possible that he has ditched his Gibsons!

To add to the topic: I don't like brand new guitars.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:03:55 PM by hiskoolstudes »
LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #363 on: December 28, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
^^ haha meron ako nung issue na yan!
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #364 on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
Suhr and Prs guitars... overated
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #365 on: December 28, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
That could be true. If you are referring to a street guitar players and a broke a** band players.

But if you are a professional, that's a different story.

I am a pro but still can't afford a real 335! I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. I can afford a suhr or any strat based guitar though I mean if I really wanted one.

Because Strat types can be used for almost any kind of music, it will practically pay for itself.  :) 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:53:05 PM by bluenote »

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
Alex, just in case you didn't know, no country other than Japan can sell J. CUSTOM Ibanez guitars.  Team J-Craft and Prestige models are NOT J. Custom models.  But then, I would agree to some extent that some Prestige guitars are dead and in some cases, you can get an Indonesian-made Ibanez and get almost the same quality as with the Prestige models, if selected properly. But IMO, J. Customs are up there...

Hey Skunky O.T. how is the recording? So excited na to hear it!

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #367 on: December 28, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »
Suhr and Prs guitars... overated

I can't argue about PRS but to me Suhr guitars along with LSL guitars and Don Grosh are worth their asking price. It all depends where you buy them. Some dealers charge close to the MSRP while I get mine close to invoice. Quality, soundwise and customer service I think they're the best bang for buck instruments out there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:05:51 PM by SixtyCycleOhm »

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #368 on: December 28, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
Strats and LP with Floating Trem
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #369 on: December 28, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »
Toneczar Openhaus
EBMM JP (wala sanang mangaway sa akin  :lol:)
Metal Muff
Shredhead

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #370 on: December 28, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
Reliced guitars. Tout naturel for me.  :wink:
Google is your friend.

Offline dadadan

« Reply #371 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
Toneczar Openhaus
EBMM JP (wala sanang mangaway sa akin  :lol:)
Metal Muff
Shredhead

Bakit sir? Curious lang. :D

Dun sa JP and SH  :-P

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #372 on: December 28, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
Bakit sir? Curious lang. :D

Dun sa JP and SH  :-P

Yung sa JP, di ko naman siya ayaw kasi pangit. :) maganda talaga yung guitar, struggle lang talaga ako sa "feel" nung neck nya and naliliitan ako masyado :lol:

sa SH - maganda naman talaga yung tunog ng SH. di ko lang talaga ganun ka-trip :lol:

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
Reliced guitars. Tout naturel for me.  :wink:

Agree!
LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline yngwie09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
I don't like brand new guitars.

+1. better if the guitar is custom-made for myself.  :wink:

^^ haha meron ako nung issue na yan!

same.
REFERENCES:your_guy,mannie,scofield,brown,PoW,ianpano,ARIS,bulog,
congthegreat,maximus0fficial,moncseb,cerelajauco,zasam_4,kaizer,endlesswalts08
sheepsmellslikeseashells