hulika

Author Topic: paint job complaint  (Read 51581 times)

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pro Guitar Luthier Bad Experiences
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
Based sa experience ko. One time na pumunta ako sa kanila, almost the entire day yung guitar ko lang inayos niya while his alalay works on other guitars under his supervision naman. Those are based on my observation for a day. I think its more of sino uunahin niya , kaya yung ibang work na hindi nafofollow up ay tumatagal talaga. Yes may inconsistency kase he tries to please all but he dont have the tools , workplace and manpower to do it all , and syempre he cant please them all, lalo na pag taas expectations

Ah I see, ang masama kasi dito business yun eh hindi naman barkadahan. Mang Max is probably a saint but he's running a business and if he can't accommodate you properly he shouldn't accept your guitar in the 1st place. That's my opinion lang naman.

for the amount i paid for it, cant complain.
This probably sums up what everyone who stands up for him think of.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
(his decent his below my minimum threshold)

(Then following your statement, we may EITHER conclude that Mang Max is inconsistent regardless whatever you pay OR its like taking a chance, you pay cheap and take the risk whether he will pay more attention or NOT. What a way to do business and render service.)

The thing is I have never had any work done on my guitars by Max Rufo so I don't want to post any assumptions as to why the result was like that. So I based my statement on the IF scenario.  (Understood.)

I can't vouch against him or for him.

Well it's really unfair to bring him up to your boutique standards since he probably would never even be close to your minimum threshold and there's an obvious reason to that.  (Its not a question of being fair or not, its a question of what he is worth.  He  ain't on my minimum threshold because he is mabait (wala naman luthier na hindi mabait pati demonyo ay mabait, he is just NOT skilled enough.)

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
^true. sabihin na nating talagang kulang sa equipment si mang max kaya hindi talaga magiging katulad nung mga units on display sa mga guitar stores yung quality nung paint. pero tingin ko naman dapat yung ibang aspects dapat ok diba? particularly dun sa areas na skills ang puhunan at hindi lang dependent sa equipment yung resulta, like this

Offline Erdy

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
pag magpapa custom ka, OK si mang max.

sa mga repairs lang talaga sumasabit.  :-\

@Musikerochan: na miss siguro yan na lagyan ng glue  :)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »

@Musikerochan: na miss siguro yan na lagyan ng glue  :)

Well, one thing is for sure buti na lang hindi siya naging mechanic ng kotse or erplano... :-D

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
dehins. may glue yung ibang frets. sa kita ko, ngumanga yung frets nung pinalitan. so ang tendency eh the crown will flatten when sanded/leveled sa ibang frets.

actually mahabang kwento yan. wala pa akong energy at present.

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

Bakit kaya ganoon ano? Hindi ba kung maganda yung paint nya sa customs niya dapat ganoon din sa repaint niya?
Kung maganda yung gawa niya sa custom niya bakit hindi niya mareplicate ito sa repairs?

Or mas maganda kapag custom kasi may pangalan niya ito?

(Its not a question of being fair or not, its a question of what he is worth.  He  ain't on my minimum threshold because he is mabait (wala naman luthier na hindi mabait pati demonyo ay mabait, he is just NOT skilled enough.)
Consequently we can say that he is not in your minimum threshold because you can afford to pay more to get astronomically better results than to gamble on a person you refer to as a "repairman". It's not that I don't think your opinion is validated but more on you have too much of a personal bias (props to you for admitting that) and a different purchasing capacity than our other forumers to make a relevant review of Max Rufo.

Offline ron21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »
Mabait kase sobra mang max. If dadaan ka or bibisita ka sa shop niya uunahin niya yung guitar mo. Syempre entertain ka niya as guest sa house niya kaya personally ayusin niya yun sa harap mo. If thats the case hinde na niya maasikaso ibang work niya while you are still there. Mas masama tingnan na bisita ka tapos ibang guitar gagawin niya while you are waiting. Thats why some guitars mas polido and some are not. Pag masipag ka bisita sa kanila sigurado si mang max gagawa ng guitar mo at hindi yung alalay niya. Magiging close pa kayo ni mang max at madami ka pa matutunan.

eto minsan ang problema kaya nag kaka delay delay ang trabaho niya. 2 weeks na nagiging 2 months or worst mas matagal pa. Ang dapat na unahin niya yung mga naunang trabahong dumating sa kanya, mag follow up ka man or hindi, at hindi yung biglang bibisita at magpapaayos ng gitara ng buong araw. Dahil nag commit na siya ng date eh. IMO lang naman.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
One thing I want to clarify, which is the other side of the coin, is that VALUE FOR MONEY is useless if the minimum skill level needed to solve the problem is not within reach of the luthier because no matter how much or how low he charges, kung hindi naman niya ma-solve it becomes WASTES OF MONEY.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
The thing is, if you actually look at his (Mang Max's) other works you can see that he has works that are considerably better than others.
Now I don't know if it's because those guys paid more or if it's because he paid more attention to them but maybe the
TS expected the same attention to detail and results as the other guys.

IF the TS paid the same amount as the others, then why can't he expect the same results 'di ba? Di naman siguro namimili
si Mang Max ng customers.

one factor of quality service is consistency. apparently, Mang Max lacks it. you still get what you pay for. i'm saying that the TS should just manage his expectations. mahirap yung masyadong mataas ang gusto niya without paying the price.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:31:20 AM by maxi_musikero »
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
i'm saying that the TS should just manage his expectations. mahirap yung masyadong mataas ang gusto niya without paying the price.

Mahirap kasi if he manages his expectations based on the "published" works that was part of the better commissions. Yung basis niya is mataas yung quality, pero hindi pala 'yun ang baseline dapat. We still don't know how high the TS set his expectations and on what he based them.

one factor of quality service is consistency. apparently, Mang Max lacks it. you still get what you pay for.

If you agree that he is inconsistent then I don't think you can strictly say "you get what you pay for".

So if you chance upon one of his better works do you get MORE than what you pay for and if you chance upon his works of the lowest quality that's when you get what you pay for?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:40:16 AM by prince22 »

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »
Mahirap kasi if he manages his expectations based on the "published" works that was part of the better commissions. Yung basis niya is mataas yung quality, pero hindi pala 'yun ang baseline dapat. We still don't know how high the TS set his expectations and on what he based them.

i agree. of course the published works are always the better ones. based on how he is reacting now, i think he based his expectations on these. but it always helps to maintain skepticism, especially if the cost of services is lower than the usual.

If you agree that he is inconsistent then I don't think you can strictly say "you get what you pay for".

So if you chance upon one of his better works do you get MORE than what you pay for and if you chance upon his works of the lowest quality that's when you get what you pay for?

1st statement - why not?

2nd statement - i somewhat agree with this. if the guitar sounds good, at par with say MIM or MIJ Fenders, and the build costs much less, then you get more than what you pay for. you get MIJ/MIM Fender tone for less. but if you paid less in the first place, you should not expect it to actually sound like a Fender.

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »

1st statement - why not?

2nd statement - i somewhat agree with this. if the guitar sounds good, at par with say MIM or MIJ Fenders, and the build costs much less, then you get more than what you pay for. you get MIJ/MIM Fender tone for less. but if you paid less in the first place, you should not expect it to actually sound like a Fender.

Because if he's inconsistent you can't get what you pay for most of the time. Either you get more than you pay for, you actually get what you pay for and in worst-case scenarios you get less than what you pay for. That's what inconsistency in build quality entails.

So the baseline is his worst jobs? If by chance you receive better quality than his worst, you get more than what you pay for?

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
Just go back to mang Max and have him redo the work. I believe he's not charging you for the additional work he will be doing.
If nababasa naman to ni mang Max, let this be a reminder or an eye-opener for him. For all we know, mang Max is already working with extra attention to detail - more than what he used to have/not have.
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
Let's not derail the topic...

Asan na pics ni TS ng gitara and screenshot ng msg na naghahamon ng suntukan
no pic, no advise...

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »
Let's not derail the topic...

Asan na pics ni TS ng gitara and screenshot ng msg na naghahamon ng suntukan

agreed!

lol @ suntukan  :lol:
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline fonzguitar13

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
Bro you got it all wrong. Mang max is a good guy and is already old. I cant imagine na naiisip mo na nanghahamon siya ng away. Parang tatay na natin si mang max eh. He text you para maayos ninyo ang issue at wag na palakihin. Instead you created this thread to insult his work including his humble workplace. Did you even replied to his text? he is waiting for you pala today. I doubt if may mukha ka pang ihaharap sa kanya if he finds out about this thread. You should have called and meet up with mang max.

BAKA NAMAN ALL CAPS YUNG TEXT, ANO?

Kaya siguro all caps malabo na mata, papa ko din all caps magtext hehe

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »

Kaya siguro all caps malabo na mata, papa ko din all caps magtext hehe

So kaya may bula ang finish kasi malabo din ang mata ng repairman :lol:
This spot is for lease. Please message me for details.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
Just go back to mang Max and have him redo the work. I believe he's not charging you for the additional work he will be doing.
If nababasa naman to ni mang Max, let this be a reminder or an eye-opener for him. For all we know, mang Max is already working with extra attention to detail - more than what he used to have/not have.

Extra inch of attention in detail on miles of skills required guitar luthiery... :oops:

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
lol

TS reminds me of this guy i know who bought a CdR King monitor and then complained that it stopped working after 3 months.

Mang Max is the CdR King of luthiers. set your expectations right.

sakit ng tiyan ko!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »
Because if he's inconsistent you can't get what you pay for most of the time. Either you get more than you pay for, you actually get what you pay for and in worst-case scenarios you get less than what you pay for. That's what inconsistency in build quality entails.

So the baseline is his worst jobs? If by chance you receive better quality than his worst, you get more than what you pay for?

in general, consistency fetches a high premium. there are always exceptions (like Mike Sison who doesn't charge high but still consistently delivers high quality work) but we are talking about the norm here.

baseline should not be his worst jobs. but it shouldn't be the better ones either. there is middle ground here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:58:03 PM by maxi_musikero »

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »

in general, consistency fetches a high premium. there are always exceptions (like Mike Sison who doesn't charge high but still consistently delivers high quality work) but we are talking about the norm here.

baseline should not be his worst jobs. but it should be the better ones either. there is middle ground here.

So what is the norm of Max Rufo's quality of work?

So what if the TS used the middle ground in referencing his expectation and he received one of the worst jobs Rufo ever churned out,
would you fault him in not managing his expectations?

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
until we see the pics the TS has to prove his point, we cant gauge for sure if he did get the worst service.