hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106138 times)

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
What?! You guys are tube this tube that, SS sucks and everything in between. At least show that you can play.

bro, maliit lang ang philmusic. marami dito nag gigig talaga professionally. some from famous local bands.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »
What?! You guys are tube this tube that, SS sucks and everything in between. At least show that you can play.

try backreading.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
I just hope half of these tube snobs can strum a chord :)

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »

I can play! We can play! D-A-G-A, Line to Heaven... dali lang naman  :-D ..and take note, playing that chord progression using my 100-watt TUBE AMP! Sarap!  :lol:

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »

baka kainin mo ang sinasabi mo,, lot a guys play really good..... with TUBE AMP of course cos accept it dude Tubes are way better than SS.. truth hurts man!  :wink:
AMMK!!!

Offline robertshanepascual

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
I just hope half of these tube snobs can strum a chord :)

Nasan na ba si Senyor Bethoben para matapos na?

Sorry i can't help it.  :-D

#mema #epal lang ako, break time.
just groove with it and everything will be allright...

Offline jacobsarinas

« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
Previously, it was a healthy discussion. Now, it's turning out to a soon to be locked unhealthy thread. As before, nauuwi ang 'di pagkakasunduan sa isang 'general truth and commonly accepted fact' sa pagalingan nalang sa pag-play at pag-strum ng chords? UNPROFESSIONAL.
Blessed by the LORD, the KING!

Offline aHeartThatNeverFade

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
Honestly, I'm very noob at tube amps, also noob at skills. Hahaha. Pero eto ang verdict ko between a peavey bandit 112 (SS), Fender Deluxe Reverb 112 (SS), and a Goldea AT-30 (tube. SORRY ETO PA LANG NA-TRY KO ACTUALLY.  :eek:)

bandit and fdr are superb in clean sound. Wala ako masasabi sa kanila. Telecaster and Strat? Yummy. Add some modulations and heaven na. Pedal friendly. Ok naman and happy using an od (fd2) or dist (SH). volume is at level 4 max ONLY. Bakit? Kasi beyond that level, it sounds CRAP! hahaha. Ewan ko pero tunog lata na siya. Tipong basag talaga. Araw-araw kong hinanap magandang mix ng EQ at high volume but sorry me. <_<

Then when I got my feet on Elegees cradle, he has this Goldea AT-30 with Celestion speaker. Tried it with my tele with SD Lil 59 bridge using SH. Verdict? That amp is so sweet! Yes Goldea lang yung. Cheap tube amp but the feel is soooooooo different than SS. Bilog, warm, ganda ng dynamics, etc. And kahit anong lakas ng amp, ang linis talaga. Buong-buo. Tipong nakakaiyak.  :lol:

IMHO, mahal ang tube amp because of design, durability, and the feel that you can get. It's not really the hype kung bakit marami gumagamit. Kung yung Goldea maganda na tumunog, what more pag ibang high end amps pa di ba? I really respect your opinions pero yung experience ko, maganda talaga kung tube amp ang gamit (regardless of what brand you want to use). :wave:
For He satisfies my longing soul and fills my hungry soul with goodness. -Psalms 107:9

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
Previously, it was a healthy discussion. Now, it's turning out to a soon to be locked unhealthy thread. As before, nauuwi ang 'di pagkakasunduan sa isang 'general truth and commonly accepted fact' sa pagalingan nalang sa pag-play at pag-strum ng chords? UNPROFESSIONAL.

this statement started it all:

I would buy a tube amp if it was worth it. I would buy any amp if it was worth it. Tube amps are inherently expensive due largely to their owners.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »
There is no such thing. Those who buy SS are just trying to be practical.

Not really. There are affordable tube amps just like there are expensive solid state amps and hybrids. With ss amps, a new tone requires an amp replacement. With tube amps, all you need to replace are the tubes and transformers.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:16:36 AM by royc »

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

The only negative comment I saw about SS amps from the thread is from Vhunter who said that transtube is a joke. Recent comments were made only in response to your "Line6 beating a Rectifier" statement.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »

So you speak in behalf of the SS lovers now?

Well you'd have to be crazy to say that SS is superior to every tube amp
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »

baka kainin mo ang sinasabi mo,, lot a guys play really good..... with TUBE AMP of course cos accept it dude Tubes are way better than SS.. truth hurts man!  :wink:

I'm sure there are those who can play though not every one of them. The noisiest are usually those who can't.
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »

Then when I got my feet on Elegees cradle, he has this Goldea AT-30 with Celestion speaker. Tried it with my tele with SD Lil 59 bridge using SH. Verdict? That amp is so sweet! Yes Goldea lang yung. Cheap tube amp but the feel is soooooooo different than SS. Bilog, warm, ganda ng dynamics, etc. And kahit anong lakas ng amp, ang linis talaga. Buong-buo. Tipong nakakaiyak.  :lol:

IMHO, mahal ang tube amp because of design, durability, and the feel that you can get. It's not really the hype kung bakit marami gumagamit. Kung yung Goldea maganda na tumunog, what more pag ibang high end amps pa di ba? I really respect your opinions pero yung experience ko, maganda talaga kung tube amp ang gamit (regardless of what brand you want to use). :wave:

Not all tubes are priced the same. The chinese tubes probably used in goldea are less expensive as well as the transformers used. The higher end tubes are more expensive and supposedly has better tone. But you do hear the difference in tone on tube amps vs ss, unless you convince yourself otherwise.

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
most of us are hoping that you can do better than your My Sharona joke of a video.
#ouch

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »

I'm sure there are those who can play though not every one of them. The noisiest are usually those who can't.

Judging by the number of comments here it appears you are among the noisiest. I strongly suggest avoiding assumptions that most of those who are against your opinion cannot play well, unless you are confident that you are better than them.

The thread is about the qualities of tube amps vs solid state amps. It is not about guitar skills.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
Not all tubes are priced the same. The chinese tubes probably used in goldea are less expensive as well as the transformers used. The higher end tubes are more expensive and supposedly has better tone. But you do hear the difference in tone on tube amps vs ss, unless you convince yourself otherwise.

Yeah. Totally hear the difference. And as a musician, kahit mahal kung makukuha mo naman yung feel and tone na gusto mo, money will not be an issue. Sacrificing your bread is inevitable. KUDOS SA MGA LAGING OT SA WORK PARA MAKABILI NG TUBE AMPS. hahahahaha  :lol:
For He satisfies my longing soul and fills my hungry soul with goodness. -Psalms 107:9

Offline mikebled

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
Judging by the number of comments here it appears you are among the noisiest. I strongly suggest avoiding assumptions that most of those who are against your opinion cannot play well, unless you are confident that you are better than them.

The thread is about the qualities of tube amps vs solid state amps. It is not about guitar skills.

Well said, sir royc. :-)

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
digital for me!  :lol:

@dtmateo - if you always bring the topic of skill vs. gear, you're in for an argument.  Suggest you don't bring it up in a way that puts down other people. 
Check #9 here, it's a sticky, read it:  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=196448.0

Also, the word "practical" is relative.  No one will win if you argue what is practical. 

Offline ganjie

« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
before this thread gets locked, let's mellow down...

in defense of the line6 spider, there's this venue we play in from time to time with that amp. for a few months a few guitar players (myself included) purposedly blasted through that amp to the point where the amp cut out intermittently not because it sounded good but to actually get the amp to break down and die! (hoping it gets replaced with something better as we were tired of bringing our amps everytime we played....).

after a few months of that, we gave up... the beat up LINE 6 SPIDER, lived!!! hahahahahhahaha

BTT:

a few more things that i love about tube amps are:

1. As you turn it up, the tone gets better.
2. not too scary of running it at peak levels.. It's durable...
3. dynamics, you can drive it and play clean by just changing the way you hit the strings... (i think this is what really sets it apart from solid state)...

that said, mabuhay and line 6 spider!!  :razz:

... pain is a purifier and suffering builds character ...
... Jesus Rocks! ...

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
Also, the word "practical" is relative.  No one will win if you argue what is practical.

I agree. What if I'll spend 100k for a tube amp and not getting that 200k worth of a boutique amp? And for me that's "practical"? Could you say that I spent too much because of "hype" or "practicality"? Eh kung sa mayaman ako. Hahahaha  :lol:

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
I agree. What if I'll spend 100k for a tube amp and not getting that 200k worth of a boutique amp? And for me that's "practical"? Could you say that I spent too much because of "hype" or "practicality"? Eh kung sa mayaman ako. Hahahaha  :lol:

You got it sir!  Sino ba naman hindi gustong maging praktikal?  Tapos yung iba they judge other people based on their definition of practical.  <_<  Tapos if people don't fit their definition of practical, sasabihin "they cannot even strumm a chord"?  Respect is the key!

ACTUALLY, LAHAT MAGANDA!  AND THIS THREAD PROBABLY MIGHT NOT GO ANYWHERE BECAUSE NO ONE PERSON HAS TRIED ALL THE TUBE AMPS AND ALL THE SOLID STATE AMP IN THE WORLD TO MAKE AN INDESPUTABLE CONCLUSION.  And even if someone tried it all, everything is still relative.

Mag JOYO DC-15 na lang kayo!  electric, acoustic, drums, kaya   :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »
Niyahaha. Tama sir mark.

Anyway, walang katapusang discussion to unless someone would actually test a tube and SS amp side to side and siyempre andun tayo mismo dahil mas ma-appreciate natin than video demo lang.

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
You got it sir!  Sino ba naman hindi gustong maging praktikal?  Tapos yung iba they judge other people based on their definition of practical.  <_<  Tapos if people don't fit their definition of practical, sasabihin "they cannot even strumm a chord"?  Respect is the key!

ACTUALLY, LAHAT MAGANDA!  AND THIS THREAD PROBABLY MIGHT NOT GO ANYWHERE BECAUSE NO ONE PERSON HAS TRIED ALL THE TUBE AMPS AND ALL THE SOLID STATE AMP IN THE WORLD TO MAKE AN INDESPUTABLE CONCLUSION.  And even if someone tried it all, everything is still relative.

Mag JOYO DC-15 na lang kayo!  electric, acoustic, drums, kaya   :lol: :lol: :lol:

and the joyo dc-15 gives you energy like you've never experienced before!! it will also help you in your exercise! trust me it really does!  ^-^ ^-^
AMMK!!!

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »

Mag JOYO DC-15 na lang kayo!  electric, acoustic, drums, kaya   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha! Nice! Watched Ael's demo with this amp... very interesting bed room amp!