hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106092 times)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
All customers of my devices note that them has the same "feel" as tube prototypes.
Maybe small difference in "tone colouring", but "structure of sound", dynamics are the same.
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/jcm800fetLnd150_en.html

That's great! I hope such tech and builds would be easily available so that they are easily experienced. I used to have a SS amp that came close to the tube sound but not the feel. It was a Marshall MOSFET Twin. Maybe it was the MOSFET part of it that made it sound very similar to an all-tube amp. Am not sure if that is close to what you build but I hope to be able to try yours (or something similar) soon.   :)

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2014, 06:14:14 PM »
ay ubos na

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »
would love to have tube amps..

budget is always the problem and maintenance.
if the tube amp blows up, mahirap ang pagawaan..

but i'd still go for it...

mangangarap na lang naman, isasagad ko na...:-)
The fear of death.
Make the climb; without the rope.
Then fear will find you again.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #528 on: February 28, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »

Sir, hindi naman agad agad napupundi ang mga tubes. It will supposedly take years. Lalo na hindi naman tube ang power amp mo.
Just my dos centavos

Sent from my Nokia 3210 android using tapatim.

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #529 on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:26 PM »

Mas madali mag palit ng tubes kaysa solidstate.most(but not always the case) tube amp problems the culprit is the tube.No need to troubleshoot like SS amps.
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline Rageworx

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #530 on: March 01, 2014, 05:07:37 AM »
Plus there are low-budget tube amps out there na. Sa maintenance naman, as long as you turn it up and down the right way, tube amps will serve you well.

Mas madali mag palit ng tubes kaysa solidstate.most(but not always the case) tube amp problems the culprit is the tube.No need to troubleshoot like SS amps.
Pedals on Sale: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=273860.msg3741566#msg3741566
References: unoh, zyehj, alamat, BAMF, trem3, macrulez019, brown, Kenzu0911, lemon15, spliffbwoy, lmichiko, derekdecastro, kurtcobainer, progfather, metalheadz

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »
An old thread, but what the hey. To my mind it all boils down to the application. There are situations [say in recording] that demand a sound that only a solid state amp can deliver --- the Roland JC-120 comes to mind --- and vice versa.

This sort of convo has been going on since I signed up for Philmusic [and possibly even earlier] but I've come to this conclusion after all those years: the best amp is the one that works for what you need to do at a given time. And as an extension of this for those who are thinking of buying an amp and are hard-pressed to decide whether to get an SS or a tube amp, remember this as well: know exactly what you want to do first and gear selection will take care of itself.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
+1

Truly the best way to know is to try it out for real. try as many amps as you can. Both tubes and solid state. We can all try and talk about what's what with these amps which is also very helpful but the best way is to experience them and find out what you need.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
Exactly. Preference talaga.

Offline bunyok23

« Reply #534 on: June 13, 2014, 01:33:49 AM »
Tube amps must sound better because they are preffered by a lot of people. Thats why you see solid state designs trying to mimic a tube amp or the axefx modeling all the nuances of a tube amp including the output transformer parameters.

One noticeable fact when you play into a tube amp is the headroom.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2014, 03:43:41 AM »
Tube amps must sound better because they are preffered by a lot of people. Thats why you see solid state designs trying to mimic a tube amp or the axefx modeling all the nuances of a tube amp including the output transformer parameters.

One noticeable fact when you play into a tube amp is the headroom.

Do you mean tube amps like SET or push pull have more headroom than solid state amps?

Offline 24Fret

« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2014, 07:43:41 AM »
OK naman talaga ang tube amp, maganda talaga sya lalo na pag 3d sound hanap mo (lalo na pag open back ang cab) at ang saturated sound hanep sa ganda. Kaso most of the time  bingi  na ako at galit na ang mga kapitbahay pag nasa sweet spot ang amp. Mahahalata kong galit na sila kasi panay na ang busina ng kotse nila na wala naman problema tapos panay ang bagsak ng kanilang gate hahahah :) Kaya SS  gamit ko (Tech21 amp) at madalas ngayon yung profiler na lang ang gamit ko straight to powered speaker. Kasing ganda ng tube ang tunog pero di kasing lakas (parang commercial).  Yung tube amp ko na trade ko na nung isang araw, ang lakas kasi.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:32:25 AM by 24Fret »

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
Trademark 60 ba yan? Magandang SS amp yan!  :wave:

Magaan pa :) easy to lug around for gigs.

In my case i use a 60w tube combo for gigs. Ambigat!! Kaya dinadala ko lang pag malapit sa venue ang parking! :nosebleed:

Offline 24Fret

« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
^^ Tech21 TM120.... dalawa speaker kaya nanganganib rin itong madispatsa :) although "medyo" ok sya pag mahina ang sound.

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »
Blackstar ID series solid state that emulates the sound of 6L6, 6V6, EL34, EL84, KT66 and KT88's
Real happy with the sound.
Fuseboxx/Kastigo guitarist ESP Artist 2011
Graphtech Endorser Elixir strings and cables
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #540 on: June 13, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »
Blackstar ID series solid state that emulates the sound of 6L6, 6V6, EL34, EL84, KT66 and KT88's
Real happy with the sound.

+ 3000.

Best modeling amp I have tried and owned!

Offline monsterbot

« Reply #541 on: June 13, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
Definitely!!!

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #542 on: June 14, 2014, 12:21:04 AM »
Masmalakas nga ba tumunog ang tube amps? Parang same volume lang compared sa similar wattage ng solid state.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #543 on: June 14, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
2 cents  :-)

My long time friend bought an Ibanez TSA30H amp with matching 2x12. I got to pit it against my beater amp, a Marshall MG100DFX 1x12 combo. The Ibanez was a 30 watt tube amp driving two speakers, while mine was a 100 watt solid state amp driving one speaker. During his birthday party jam, it was clear that even at the highest volume settings on my Marshall, the 30 watt Ibanez was louder. Now this might be because of the speaker count, but I'm still a little convinced it's because the Ibanez was pushing more mid frequencies which helped it cut through the band.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #544 on: June 14, 2014, 06:00:27 AM »

Masmalakas nga ba tumunog ang tube amps? Parang same volume lang compared sa similar wattage ng solid state.

I have a 2-watt tube amp that can be heard outside the house at daytime, at half the volume.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #545 on: June 14, 2014, 06:13:17 AM »
I have a 2-watt tube amp that can be heard outside the house at daytime, at half the volume.

SET or PP configuration?

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #546 on: June 14, 2014, 06:20:06 AM »
2 cents  :-)

My long time friend bought an Ibanez TSA30H amp with matching 2x12. I got to pit it against my beater amp, a Marshall MG100DFX 1x12 combo. The Ibanez was a 30 watt tube amp driving two speakers, while mine was a 100 watt solid state amp driving one speaker. During his birthday party jam, it was clear that even at the highest volume settings on my Marshall, the 30 watt Ibanez was louder. Now this might be because of the speaker count, but I'm still a little convinced it's because the Ibanez was pushing more mid frequencies which helped it cut through the band.

Probably because of the speaker count. But if it sounded better, then those are the amp design and toobs \m/

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #547 on: June 14, 2014, 06:25:22 AM »

SET or PP configuration?

It's a fender greta connected to a 1x12 with eminence RWB. I'm not sure of its config.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #548 on: June 14, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »
It's a fender greta connected to a 1x12 with eminence RWB. I'm not sure of its config.

Yun ang concern ko sir. Most guitar amps are tube buffered or hybrid tube. Parang unfair to say that the tube amp is powerful over the other types unless controlled situations and proper comparison.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #549 on: June 14, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »
Yun ang concern ko sir. Most guitar amps are tube buffered or hybrid tube. Parang unfair to say that the tube amp is powerful over the other types unless controlled situations and proper comparison.

My opinion is based on the small amps I have owned (I doubt you can compare high-wattage amps 'coz you will be deaf before they are maxed). My Blues Junior was way louder than my Vox Pathfinder even though they are both 15 watts. My 10 watt Marshall amp was much weaker than my Greta. My nephew's 10 or 15 watt amp has to be maxed to match my Greta's less than half setting.

That said, speaker sensitivity also makes a difference. I specifically used the RWB for its 101 dB sensitivity :-)