hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106063 times)

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #550 on: June 14, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
wala pa diyan yung mga vintage amps na grabe ganda ng tunog.

masasabi mo na ang amp ay musical instrument talaga kasi kahit same make and model, kahit same vintage. magkaiba ang tunog.

parang yung sinabi ni Analog.Man na super ganda ng tunog ng vintage deluxe reverb ni Jim Weider. personal vintage deluxe reverb eh hindi man lang malapit kung tumunog.

paano pa kaya yung mga modern amps

Yun ang concern ko sir. Most guitar amps are tube buffered or hybrid tube. Parang unfair to say that the tube amp is powerful over the other types unless controlled situations and proper comparison.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 android using tapatim.

yes. the rule of thumb is 1 all tube amp watt is roughly 3 solid state amp watts

so a 15 watt tube amp will scream like a 45 watt solid state amp.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:08:06 AM by analog.matt »

Offline starkiller

« Reply #551 on: June 14, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
^^ i love tube amps, but i disagree.

within its clean headroom, 1 watt is 1 watt regardless of the technology.

the reason why people think that tube amp wattage is louder than solid state is that beyond the clean headroom, tube amp saturation is still pleasant to human hearing (parang clean pa), while solid state saturation is not pleasant (buzzy/basag).

because of the above, the volume control range of tube amps are purposefully designed to go beyond the amp's clean headroom (because the post clean sound is still usable).  on the other hand, solid state volume controls are purposefully designed to stay within the clean headroom.

it is the beyond clean headroom range that makes tube amps apparently louder.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:48:39 PM by starkiller »

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #552 on: June 14, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »

the reason why people think that tube amp wattage is louder than solid state is that beyond the clean headroom, tube amp saturation is still pleasant to human hearing (parang clean pa), while solid state saturation is not pleasant (buzzy/basag).

because of the above, the volume control range of tube amps are purposefully designed to go beyond the amp's clean headroom (because the post clean sound is still usable).  on the other hand, solid state volume controls are purposefully designed to stay within the clean headroom.

Weel saif. the distortion of tube amps are pleasurable to the ears kasi.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #553 on: June 14, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »

if you've read clearly, ang sabi ko naman "rule of thumb." (A means of estimation made according to a rough and ready practical rule, not based on science or exact measurement. )

whatever it is, its louder.

and i prefer my old amp over modern ones.

since there's more pleasure, then tube amps sound better.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:58:42 PM by analog.matt »

Offline 24Fret

« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2014, 06:31:12 AM »
Blackstar ID series solid state that emulates the sound of 6L6, 6V6, EL34, EL84, KT66 and KT88's
Real happy with the sound.

Hmmm very interesting. Sir would you kindly rate it from 0 to 100 on how much it realistically emulates tube response?  :)

Offline starkiller

« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
analog.matt, not worries, i'm not attacking your preferences.  i'm not trying to be overly scientific, nor trying to scrutinize your thoughts. 

allow me to explain where i'm coming from:

i said what i said because i wanted to qualify that if the musician wants clean, and not overdriven sounds, tubes and solid state power will have the same loudness output.   

use case:  there are some applications (Ex: jazz, acoustic) that require a very clean output... much cleaner than the "clean" of a blues/rock player.  for these applications, you really need a good amount of clean watts regardless of technology.

i hope this sorts things out.  i'm just not a big fan of proclaiming that something is better without qualifying the application.

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #556 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
well, i think so thread starter...  :cool:

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #557 on: June 15, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
analog.matt, not worries, i'm not attacking your preferences.  i'm not trying to be overly scientific, nor trying to scrutinize your thoughts. 

allow me to explain where i'm coming from:

i said what i said because i wanted to qualify that if the musician wants clean, and not overdriven sounds, tubes and solid state power will have the same loudness output.   

use case:  there are some applications (Ex: jazz, acoustic) that require a very clean output... much cleaner than the "clean" of a blues/rock player.  for these applications, you really need a good amount of clean watts regardless of technology.

i hope this sorts things out.  i'm just not a big fan of proclaiming that something is better without qualifying the application.

Very nice insights. I think you are not attacking his preferences. Neither is he (from my point of view). We are merely discussing the facts with hopes of clearing things up. I'm also a tube lover myself. And I agree with you na tubes sound wonderful.

However, allow me also to clarify matters. A hybrid tube (usually tube as preamp) is not per se, really a tube amp. Neither are tube buffered amps. Hence, some people (not knowing this principle) think that hybrids are tube amps, and tend to think that tube amps is louder or more powerful. Both tubes and solid state have their own merits.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Yun ang concern ko sir. Most guitar amps are tube buffered or hybrid tube. Parang unfair to say that the tube amp is powerful over the other types unless controlled situations and proper comparison.

The Fender Greta is a real tube amp.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »

True, except that tube amps are desired for their cranked and near breakup tones. For clean tones at any volume, I do not need a tube amp.

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #560 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »
Hmmm very interesting. Sir would you kindly rate it from 0 to 100 on how much it realistically emulates tube response?  :)

Well i have a friend who was really into bowteek amps, expensive ones, i let him try my amp, i asked what he thought about it. He's test was the KT66 or KT88 tubes (expensive tubes in real life) He was tinkering with the amp and said, that's the character of the tubes, i know that sound.

For me naman, I always thought i was an EL84 or EL34 guitar player because that's what i've been hearing from a lot of guitar player, EL84's are the best tubes, didn't have a choice and just took their word for it for years, since i used the Blackstar ID series amp, i realized i was more on the 6L6 tubes.
Fuseboxx/Kastigo guitarist ESP Artist 2011
Graphtech Endorser Elixir strings and cables
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #561 on: June 16, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
well, i think so thread starter...  :cool:

I got to try one of these a few years ago. Very nice cleans on that one!

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #562 on: June 16, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »

Hmm interesting. There's this jamming place where i brought a tube amp( Laney LC50) a couple of times. I loved the way it handled the clean tone as well as the overdrive from a my pedals. The venue is quite small that i my amp volume is only at 3.   

In the same venue there was a  Roland Jazz Chorus( JC120 i think) amp which is quite well known for it's clean tone. So i decided to plug there to hear the difference.  To me it sounded stiff and the drive pedals sounded a bit buzzier compared to the tube amp. 

So i guess the that's the solid state  vs  the tube saturation going on.  Parang mas gusto ko yung lagkit ba ng cleans ng tube amp? Parang mas may chime. 

A few months ago a friend lent me a JC120 that i used for about a week at home. At very low volumes, medyo similar sounding yung clean tone nila. But once i stepped on an overdrive doon ko nahalata yung difference.   

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »
Probably because of the speaker count. But if it sounded better, then those are the amp design and toobs \m/

It's not the speaker count. More speakers might make your sound "bigger" but not louder if that makes any sense.

Also I find the Marshall MG can get pretty thin and easily lost in a band setting.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
The Fender Greta is a real tube amp.

And (I had to do a search to find the specs) Single Ended.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline chazkidlat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #565 on: July 01, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »
different sounds> parang cf martin vs taylor. single coil vs humbuckers

pero cguro 10 yrs from now kaya na mag copy ng digital or hightech analog SS amps ang tube amp (sana)
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness."

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #566 on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »

pero cguro 10 yrs from now kaya na mag copy ng digital or hightech analog SS amps ang tube amp (sana)

For guitar, I have to disagree.  Its between better (tube amps) and inferior (solid state amps).  Walang say ang magandang solid state sa magandang tube.

Offline chazkidlat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #567 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
For guitar, I have to disagree.  Its between better (tube amps) and inferior (solid state amps).  Walang say ang magandang solid state sa magandang tube.

oo naman. tube amps talaga ang best tone. pero dipende rin sa gagamit i think>? dipende sa tone na hanap nya? or sa genre?

pero naimagine nyo ano kaya?::::
"pero cguro 10 yrs from now kaya na mag copy ng digital or hightech analog SS amps ang tube amp (sana)"

possible? or 20yrs from now? sana...
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness."

Offline 24Fret

« Reply #568 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
Ako naman tumigil na  sa pagsamba ng tube amp nung marinig ko ang Kemper Profiling Amp.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #569 on: July 01, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
oo naman. tube amps talaga ang best tone. pero dipende rin sa gagamit i think>? dipende sa tone na hanap nya? or sa genre?

pero naimagine nyo ano kaya?::::
"pero cguro 10 yrs from now kaya na mag copy ng digital or hightech analog SS amps ang tube amp (sana)"

possible? or 20yrs from now? sana...

Well I have been around since the first amp modeling hardware came out in the 90s.  Ang Guess what?  Its 2014.  And the amps that are breaking ground are tube.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #570 on: July 01, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »
Ako naman tumigil na  sa pagsamba ng tube amp nung marinig ko ang Kemper Profiling Amp.

Just curious, have you heard/plugged into a Kemper Profiling Amp live?

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #571 on: July 01, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »

Nagawa na yan ng AxeFx. And it really does sound good!

Offline 24Fret

« Reply #572 on: July 01, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »
Just curious, have you heard/plugged into a Kemper Profiling Amp live?

dun ko sya unang narinig..

Offline chrizzysixx

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #573 on: October 02, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
Hi kumpanyeros! Any reviews for the Ibanez TSA series all tube amps? thanks!!
Until now.. can't decide wether gears or girls.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #574 on: October 02, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »
Been playing solid state for 5 years then moved to tube amps...
It is way better, Im never going back so. YES!
There is no tone. There is only music.