hulika

Author Topic: The Elegee Custom Shop...Past to Present...  (Read 64518 times)

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Elegee Custom Shop...Past to Present...
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

You wanna know why? Because I had my hands as well on some other vintage & high end guitars way before I joined the forum that's why you can't tell me who & what to favor.

No. You always come out when I talk about LOCAL luthiers. 

YOU are not a "TONE GURU" so don't feed me w/ your beliefs. :lol:

I have mine & you have yours, I respect yours so learn to respect mine!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:25:06 AM by lateralis »

Offline Metal Gear Solid

• Veteran Member
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
Oist OT na kayo. Yung pataasan ng ihi, lagay niyo na yan sa ibang thread.

TOPIC: Galing ako last sat, sa PJC at nandun yung ELEGEE Tele, PRS 7 at Elegee custom ni Sir Chawi. Nasubukan ko lang yung 1st custom niya and all I can say was WOW! WOW! Damn. Sobrang proud siguro ng mga Elegee owners. Hay....

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2008, 10:18:10 AM »
I've tried a few of Jon's works from other forumites & I would say he's doing a great job. He may not have the same amount of experience but it doesn't mean he can't compete w/ the ones abroad IMO.  NOPE -- AVERAGE TO GOOD BUT NOT GREAT.  BUT I BELIEVE HE GETS BETTER OVER TIME.  HE CAN TRY TO BEAT INDIA AND INDONESIA FIRST.   I STILL SAY HE STILL CANNOT COMPETE WITH THE BEST ABROAD.  JUST COMPARE ANY OF HIS GUITARS VERSUS THE PRS SANTANA AT PJC MUSIC.

Don't get me wrong as well vhunter, I personally believe that Pinoy luthiers keep getting better by going the extra mile & it wouldn't take lightyears before they get known the world over.  IT WOULD TAKE LIGHT YEARS FOR A LOT OF THEM, HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST CHINA FENDERS LATELY?  ITS ALREADY EQUAL TO YOUR BELOVED LUTHIER'S PRICE POINT AT MAS POLIDO PA AT ACCURATE.

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Oist OT na kayo. Yung pataasan ng ihi, lagay niyo na yan sa ibang thread.

TOPIC: Galing ako last sat, sa PJC at nandun yung ELEGEE Tele, PRS 7 at Elegee custom ni Sir Chawi. Nasubukan ko lang yung 1st custom niya and all I can say was WOW! WOW! Damn. Sobrang proud siguro ng mga Elegee owners. Hay....

That's what i'm trying to say bro. Our very own luthiers are far from before, they now use some of the techniques used by some of the greatest foreign luthiers we know.

Why can't we just support our local lutheirs instead of closing our minds that Pinoy luthiers can't EVER be parallel w/ the ones abroad. This way they'll be more inspired to create & further their craft.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:40:38 AM by lateralis »

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
Alex, no one can compare to PRS.. hahaha.. their batting average on fit and finish vs any other manufacturer is light years away. The chances of finding a poorly constructed PRS are next to none

Offline Metal Gear Solid

• Veteran Member
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »
Suportahan na lang. Wag puro dada at wag talangka.
'nuff said.

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »

PRS? Jon has made a few copy of PRS. If he could copy that, then it wouldn't be hard for him to create another killer guitar.

Haha! Dyan ka magaling! You LLLOOOVVVEE to diss on Pinoy luthiers by looking @ their cons not on the potential they have. :wink:

And please, STOP making patama about that luthier I favor cuz he knows more than you do. :wink:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:12:14 AM by lateralis »

Offline markflo

« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:03 AM »
REFEREE: OP....break break muna....

back to regular programming muna...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »
lateralis and firemodel55: Quit your word war.

I don't see any "patama" here. Alex and Miks are only talking about facts, nothing more, nothing less. I actually agree that Jon is not quite there yet but he seems to be getting better at his craft.. and that's a good thing, right?

Obviously, we all wish for our local luthiers to be able to match up with the best of the best such as John Suhr, Tom Anderson, George Gorodnitski, John Cruz, Gene Baker, Johann Gustavsson, Terry C. McInturff, etc. but the reality is that Elegee, Mang Max and the others are still a couple of notches below these famous luthiers. I can vouch for that because all modesty aside, I've been blessed with a lot of opportunities to try out most of the most sought-after guitars in the world. I'd rank Elegee guitars as somewhere between Korean-made guitars and mass-produced American-made ones. Elegee is great when it comes to bang for the buck but on an absolute scale and assuming that price point takes a backseat to overall quality, Elegee has quite a bit to catch up on.

Some people should just accept that personal preference is different from absolute fact. In the case of lateralis vs. firemodel55, they were on different waevlengths that's why they can't agree at all. This pataasan ng ihi should stop.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
Lateralis, I like Jon, love some of the work hes done for atz but he's still a little new compared to the more seasoned players.

Here's a nut that Jon did for a friend of mine. It's not the best nut job ive ever seen. Tuning was very unstable and the raduis of the strings at rest were way off vs the fretboard. Notice how all the strings go in too deep into the nut. Also notice how the nut is angled instead of flat to support smoother string pul (this is how les pauls have to be because of the awkward headstock and angled direction of string pull after the nut, specially the G string)

This is what it should have looked like:

Please don't get me wrong, im not bashing Jon, like I said hes done some good things, he's just not up there yet (but its IMHO which isnt the law).

Edit Add: I also wanna point out that showing some faults in his work is not a bad thing, I really hope I'm not embarrassing him but am only showing these things so that people become aware of what to look for in a guitar. If no one knew that his nut fabrication and installation was wrong, he'd never get it right.

sir wala po yung first pic.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
Pretty bold statement.  This really gets people riled up you know.So what you're saying is (I hope I get it right), our best couldn't match their best?  YES OUR BEST CANNOT MATCH THEIR BEST BECAUSE OF THEIR LONG EXPOSURE TO THE BEST INSTRUMENTS AND ARTISTS AND HIGHER STANDARDS. SA KAHOY PA LANG, NONE OF THE LOCAL LUTHIERS I KNOW HAVE MORE THAN 100 YEAR OLD HONDURAN MAHOGANY LET ALONE BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD. 

What about our best luthiers VS American and European production models?  I'm sure we have something good going on in that context.

ASK VHUNTER.

Peace guys.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »
Neither are you, Alex.
Just to clarify, I don't ever tell lateralis to stop posting or get out of the thread.  Big difference.  I tell him if I disagree with him.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2008, 02:03:10 PM »
Just to clarify, I don't ever tell lateralis to stop posting or get out of the thread.  Big difference.  I tell him if I disagree with him.

Which is good. All opinions, so long as sincere, are valid.

So I guess let's just all disagree respectfully, if we must.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
i wonder how MTRCB is related to philmusic>guitarcentral>Elegee...

last time i checked this thread, there's no movie or tv anywhere.

anyways, i personally witnessed how psychic sushi and bluejem played their personal elegee customs. The way they rocked those axes convinced me that not only these instruments look fine, but elegee customs could also sound great in capable hands.

and for the elegee vs foreign_luthier issue, im sure everybody knows the simplest and foolproof way to settle the debate. a quick side by side blindtest could practically settle things once and for all.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:14:09 PM by oloc »

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
i wonder how MTRCB is related to philmusic>guitarcentral>Elegee...

last time i checked this thread, there's no movie or tv anywhere.

anyways, i personally witnessed how psychic sushi and bluejem played their personal elegee customs. The way they rocked those axes convinced me that not only these instruments look fine, but elegee customs could also sound great in capable hands.

and for the elegee vs foreign_luthier issue, im sure everybody knows the simplest and foolproof way to settle the debate. a quick side by side blindtest could practically settle things once and for all.

Very constructive thinking bro. To that I agree. :wink:

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:12 PM »
Lateralis, Firemodel has a valid point, has had valid points and will have valid points regardless of how condescending he sounds.      He's not ALWAYS the "bad guy". Okay?

Firemodel, Lateralis has just been showing support and encouragement ever since. Yes, he DOES make claims that are often in need of validation.        He's not ALWAYS "wrong" and "invalid" and "full of fallacies" that you have to disprove. Okay?

Why don't you just freaking ignore each other? Paikot-ikot lang naman kayo parati e. It's not cute anymore. Both your crusades end up muddying up perfectly good threads.

Realistically, YES, I'm sure Jon will also concede that SOMEONE out there is better than him. Even Max would (unless super yabang siya which is not the case I'm sure).

That said, Firemodel55 - WHO CARES IF SOMEONE OUT THERE IS BETTER?! SILA YUNG NANDITO E. OO NA! You can't argue that at par sila with someone BETTER than them. So ease up!

That said, Lateralis - EASY LANG SA EAGERNESS AND EXCITEMENT AND PROMOTION. One can really argue against some of your claims.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE ELEGEE. I WILL HAVE A CUSTOM NECK DONE SOON AND WILL MAKE SURE THAT MY NUT (sounds wrong) IS PROPERLY CUT AND FITTED AND ANGLED.

I LOVE ELEGEE. THE REPLACEMENT ASH BODY I HAD MADE FOR MY GUITAR HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY TONE.

Is ELEGEE the best in the whole universe? NO!!! BUT I DONT CARE!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:12:09 PM by chromeknive »

Offline Metal Gear Solid

• Veteran Member
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
Good luck with your nut.
(Properly cut, fitted and angled)  :lol:

Youch. hahaha

Seriously, post some pics when it's done.  :evil:

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »
Lateralis, Firemodel has a valid point, has had valid points and will have valid points regardless of how condescending he sounds.      He's not ALWAYS the "bad guy". Okay?

Firemodel, Lateralis has just been showing support and encouragement ever since. Yes, he DOES make claims that are often in need of validation.        He's not ALWAYS "wrong" and "invalid" and "full of fallacies" that you have to disprove. Okay?

Why don't you just freaking ignore each other? Paikot-ikot lang naman kayo parati e. It's not cute anymore. Both your crusades end up muddying up perfectly good threads.

Realistically, YES, I'm sure Jon will also concede that SOMEONE out there is better than him. Even Max would (unless super yabang siya which is not the case I'm sure).

That said, Firemodel55 - WHO CARES IF SOMEONE OUT THERE IS BETTER?! SILA YUNG NANDITO E. OO NA! You can't argue that at par sila with someone BETTER than them. So ease up!

That said, Lateralis - EASY LANG SA EAGERNESS AND EXCITEMENT AND PROMOTION. One can really argue against some of your claims.

I LOVE ELEGEE. I WILL HAVE A CUSTOM NECK DONE SOON AND WILL MAKE SURE THAT MY NUT (sounds wrong) IS PROPERLY CUT AND FITTED AND ANGLED.

I LOVE ELEGEE. THE REPLACEMENT ASH BODY I HAD MADE FOR MY GUITAR HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY TONE.

Pm'ed you bro.

Thanks for the advice though, really appreciate it.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »

At last!!! Somebody who makes sense. 2 thumbs up for you!  :-)
Surf's Up!

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »

Realistically, YES, I'm sure Jon will also concede that SOMEONE out there is better than him. Even Max would (unless super yabang siya which is not the case I'm sure).That said, Firemodel55 - WHO CARES IF SOMEONE OUT THERE IS BETTER?! SILA YUNG NANDITO E. OO NA! You can't argue that at par sila with someone BETTER than them. So ease up!

yes!

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »

I dunno man, I really think nuts are important. I dont know what I'd do without my nuts! Sometimes i oil them and wipe them just to make sure they look nice and work right. I like to remove dirt and grime from my nuts as well. Maybe one day we can hang out and compare nuts.  :wink: Hahaha JK.

Offline tagagapo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
I dunno man, I really think nuts are important. I dont know what I'd do without my nuts! Sometimes i oil them and wipe them just to make sure they look nice and work right. I like to remove dirt and grime from my nuts as well. Maybe one day we can hang out and compare nuts.  :wink: Hahaha JK.

LMAO!!! Natawa ako dito LOL

----

Mang Jon rules!!! Hindi bale one of this days makaka punta ako sa shop mo sir Jon bago man ako umalis papuntang Iraq pra pumatay ng tao sana manalo si Obama pra wag ako mapunta sa IRAQ haha..  Keep it up Eleege Guitars!!!

Uncle Sam kiss my ass!!!

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
I occasionally rub my nuts with pencil lead. Make sure them nuts are nice and smooth and slippery right?  :lol: Ayokong may friction or sabit sa nuts ko e...  :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
(other great points shnip)

One thing I learned early on in life is that to gauge yourself, don't look at how far you are from the bottom, but rather how far you are from the top. So granted that Elegee aint Baker or Anderson...tama ka bro, k lang yun. He's here for his own market and is God's gift to a certain cross-section of musicians.

And another thing...it's not the BEING that counts...it's the BECOMING. So let's see as Jon unfolds and BECOMES, notwithstanding the talent and skill he already possesses.  Same goes too for all of us.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633