hulika

Author Topic: -> tRiViAs AbOuT gUiTaRs & GuItArIsTs <-  (Read 45970 times)

Offline odessa

Re: -> tRiViAs AbOuT gUiTaRs & GuItArIsTs <-
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »
When Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds,
from wikipedia:
Clapton recommended Jimmy Page, a studio guitarist he knew (and with whom he would soon cut a series of stirring blues guitar duets, including "Tribute to Elmore" and "Draggin' My Tail"), as his replacement, but Page, uncertain at the time about giving up his lucrative studio work and worried about his health, recommended in turn his friend Jeff Beck. Beck's playing style and bent for experimentation pushed the Yardbirds toward a "psychedelic rock" sound. He played his first gig with the Yardbirds only two days after Clapton's departure.

Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page both at the same time played for the Yardbirds, no records was able to document their dual lead playing...
may mga times na maganda meron din off times, stage overflow!  :mrgreen:

Check out this clip from the 1966 film "Blowout":

feature=related

For copyright reasons, they have to replace the original track "Stroll On" with another tune. Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, together.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:17:50 PM by odessa »

Offline odessa

« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
Detroit's MC5 are forced to replace a live version the song, "Kick Out the Jams" from the album of the same name because it contains explicit lyrics (the song's introduction contained the phrase "Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!").

Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ric Grech and Ginger Baker saw their debut album, "Blind Faith" banned by several retailers because the cover showed a naked 11 year old girl. Atco Records was forced to issue two different covers, although the 'clean' version doesn't sell nearly as well.

The Beatles' "Come Together"- The first line in this song -- "Here come old flat-top, he come groovin' up slowly," bears a strong resemblance, musically and lyrically, to Chuck Berry's 1958 hit "You Can't Catch Me" (whose couplet, written about a car chase, goes "Here come a flat-top, he was moving up with me"). This slight homage would prove to cause major discomfort in John's life, as Morris Levy, legendary record promoter and publisher, owned part of the rights to Berry's song. Levy sued Lennon, a suit which was finally settled when Lennon agreed to create a whole album of covers owned by Levy. It was released in 1975 as the Rock And Roll album. Paul has since claimed he was the first to notice the similarities between the two songs, and suggested slowing the tempo down to make it less noticeable.

Lennon felt attacked by McCartney, who later admitted that lines in the song "Too Many People" on the album Ram were intended as digs at Lennon, wrote "How Do You Sleep?" a song from John Lennon's 1971 album Imagine, as an answer to McCartney. It features a slide guitar part played by George Harrison. The song's lyrics arguably refer to the Paul is dead hoax ("Those freaks was right when they said you was dead")

Jimi Hendrix first UK gig took place in a pub in Newcastle and lasted about three minutes. He played so loud that he blew every fuse in the building and the show came to an end.

The English rock band Duran Duran had three members whose last name is Taylor, but none of them are related.

Steely Dan founders Donald Fagen and Walter Becker first got together in a band known as The Bad Rock Group and later as The Leather Canary. Future comedy star Chevy Chase was their drummer.

The song "Summertime Blues" was a US Top 40 hit in three different decades - in the fifties by Eddie Cochran (#8), the sixties by Blue Cheer (#14) and the seventies by The Who (#27)

Inspired by the Summer of Love, Fender issued optional pink paisley and blue floral finishes for the Telecasters. The finish was actually a piece of wallpaper which was adhered to the guitar's top and back and covered with clear varnish. This finish also appeared on a few Telecaster basses.

Jimi Hendrix used to play for Little Richard from whom he eventually got his taste of clothings/fashion sense.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:14:59 AM by odessa »

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2009, 06:59:46 PM »
Reknown and well respected Jazz & Christian Guitarist Paul Jackson Jr. (Don Moen/Ron Kenoly...etc,) is a regular mainstay in the American Idol. :-D
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »
in the 70s, carlos santana used/advertised Gibson guitars, in 1980s, he started using PRS guitars, which became his main guitar until now. :-)

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2009, 08:37:21 PM »
I'd loved to see all the rock legends perform live in the latest American Idol....woohoo Brian May! :-D
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »
in the 70s, carlos santana used/advertised Gibson guitars, in 1980s, he started using PRS guitars, which became his main guitar until now. :-)

Carlos also used Yamaha SGs for a while... John Mc Laughlin even used that Yamaha in one of their jam sessions.

I even have an old poster of Carlos sporting a Strat, wearing a sleeveless
Jimy Hendrix shirt :mrgreen:

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
I'd loved to see all the rock legends perform live in the latest American Idol....woohoo Brian May! :-D

IMO, American Idol = overrated. Non winners get better careers than winners. I quit the show after Fantasia (WTF?) won. The only winner with a decent career is Kelly Clarkson, probably Carrie but almost none of the others.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
IMO, American Idol = overrated. Non winners get better careers than winners. I quit the show after Fantasia (WTF?) won. The only winner with a decent career is Kelly Clarkson, probably Carrie but almost none of the others.

agree  :-D

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #308 on: May 22, 2009, 10:15:08 AM »
In 1974, Joe Satriani studied music with jazz guitarist Billy Bauer.. 8-)

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #309 on: May 22, 2009, 10:21:41 AM »
In 1974, Joe Satriani studied music with jazz guitarist Billy Bauer.. 8-)

ang tanda na pala ni Sat  :lol:
hmm anong song(s) n'ya may influence ng jazz? wala ata akong maisip

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #310 on: May 22, 2009, 10:28:18 AM »

Try listening to his 1995 self titled album.

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »
Steve Vai trivia;

He is married to Pia Maiocco, former bass player for Vixen.

He owns two studio's "The Mothership" and "The Harmony Hut".

He played on David Lee Roth's Eat'em And Smile (1985) and Skyscraper (1988).

In 1984, he replaced Yngwie Malmsteen as lead guitarist in Alcatrazz(the band).

He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts.

He is 6 feet, 2 inches tall (1.88 m).

Won a Grammy award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the
46th Annual GRAMMY awards.

Performed in the movie Crossroads, as Jack Butler playing the guitar.

...infos taken from tv.com

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
Try listening to his 1995 self titled album.

i will  :lol:

matangkad pala si sat  :-o

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #313 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »

matangkad pala si sat  :-o

You mean Steve Vai cause Satch is under 5'7 something....http://www.celebheights.com/s/Joe-Satriani-3389.html

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #314 on: May 22, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »

ah right, my fault  :lol:
just got excited, just had a cpu upgrade  :-D

magkasingtangkad lang kami ni satriani  :-)

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #315 on: May 22, 2009, 11:31:37 AM »

magkasingtangkad lang kami ni satriani  :-)

same here.. :wink: :mrgreen:

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #316 on: May 22, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »

Yeah I think it is overrated, but heck, I'm not really following the show, I just see who the guests are and got a chance to laugh at all those who got eliminated from the start hehehe... like in the finals, never I imagined that I get to see again Brian May, Paul Jackson Jr, heck even Cindy Lauper singing Time after Time again haha...nice!

Make God Famous

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #317 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
same here.. :wink: :mrgreen:

say what is Satch's height by the way? he's kindah short di ba?

Make God Famous

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #318 on: May 22, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #319 on: May 22, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »
mike einziger

he used to have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
he is a fan of Steve Vai, Danny Elfman, and Frank Zappa.
he has dated models Cameron Richardson and Lily Aldridge.

im not sure about this one, yung japanese instrument na ginamit niya sa aqueous transmission (morning view) hiram lang kay steve vai..
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »

Always With Me, Always With You.

Yung phrasing niya may halong bebop phrasing.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »

wah! i really need to study modes/scales  :cry:
thanks for the info  :lol:

mike einziger

he used to have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
he is a fan of Steve Vai, Danny Elfman, and Frank Zappa.
he has dated models Cameron Richardson and Lily Aldridge.

im not sure about this one, yung japanese instrument na ginamit niya sa aqueous transmission (morning view) hiram lang kay steve vai..

sa look alive dvd pinakita yung tungkol sa carpal tunnel syndrome ni einziger

pinahirm nga basta sinabi ni vai"make something cool with it" o parang ganyan, sa guiatr mag ko nabasa :lol:

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #322 on: May 22, 2009, 06:24:51 PM »

yep, a nice ballad under 3/4 time signature which is not very common among rock guitar players during the time of its release (correct me if i'm wrong with this). A stellar guitar work utilizing clean tone rhythm to back up the the distorted melody and guitar solo, with most of the chords featuring upper extensions such as 11th(4th) and 13th(6th)...the rest is for others to check on he he...i really love this piece from Joe Sat..its the very first instrumental i had ever dig deep into.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:26:12 PM by screamingguitars »

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
founding member/former guitarist of 3EB, kevin cadogan was a student of joe satriani! :-D

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »

sa look alive dvd pinakita yung tungkol sa carpal tunnel syndrome ni einziger

pinakita pati yung nasa ospital pa siya after ng operation.. hehe.. dagdag.. crush niya si bjork..  :-D
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?