hulika

Author Topic: what guitar to buy??? pls help  (Read 4867 times)

Offline mitz444

• Philmusicus Noobitus
what guitar to buy??? pls help
« on: February 19, 2005, 08:10:53 AM »
kc i was thinking of buying a guitar, the choices:
a. RJ les paul custom
b. ibanez gax70
c. washburn x21? (basta ung x series na mura)

pls post your comments and opinions about these guitars..tnx

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 08:40:18 AM »
you have to tell us what style of music you play?
-are you in a cover band or do you do your own stuff?
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 09:21:18 AM »
what's the price range for those guitars?

for around P10-12Ks i'd look for a used korean or japanese made fender squier. or if you're lucky, you might find a mexi strat.

in my opinion it's never a good idea to buy new guitars.. always go for used..
especially with lower end guitars, the quality control is horrible (look at the chinese squiers) so you're better off saving a bit more money or waiting for a nice used one..

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
guitar
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 10:16:43 AM »
ibanez.... just save a little bit more, having quality instruments helps alot in learning fast.. :) dont waste your dough on cheapo guitars.. remember tone is everything.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:40:03 AM »
yup.. save up for the big one.. it's worth the wait! ;)

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 12:52:12 PM »
Which guitar you should buy is a personal preference. It depends on what music you (would) like to play. Even on what shape of guitar you prefer.  :D

No one can decide that for you, so I suggest you go to a guitarshop and try some guitars out! Take the one that is within your budget, the one you like the sound of, the one that feels good in your hands and makes you sound/play better than you actually are.  :D

Maybe you can browse the net for some guitar reviews, it would be of great help!
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 01:05:24 PM »
Quote from: Super BisDak
I suggest you go to a guitarshop and try some guitars out! Take the one that is within your budget, the one you like the sound of, the one that feels good in your hands and makes you sound/play better than you actually are.

this can be a little difficult.. you may sound good at the store and sound totally crap at home..  or vice versa.. and don't limit yourself with a budget. if you can't afford it now.. wait a while longer save some more.. and then buy it! don't settle for what you can afford! ;)

its like a buying a honda when you really wanted a porsche :P

but yeah everything is entirely up to you.. remember.. comfort is almost as good as tone.. if it will break your back or the neck sucks but it sounds good.. probabaly not worth it.

as an example.. i bought a fender jazzmaster because they are the "in" guitars these days. and when i got it it was terrible, not the sound, but how terribly uncomfortable it was to play!

Offline cat_eyes_gb

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
u cn never go wrong with an IBANEZ, most bang for the buck. very, very versatile  :)

Offline bunyok23

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 09:03:49 AM »
vox is right! take  it from  us who experience  this.

mas  mahal ,  mass  maganda  quality  ng guitara  which means all  the tones  andun sa  guitara. nasa sa  iyo na  lang how you get  that  tone  out  of  the guitar.

save up  dude. get  a  japan  or  us made  na  guitar. and  of  course before buying  it. LISTEN. try it at different  times.conditions.etc.. even different aamps.

then  of  course  check  for craftsmanship.

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
YEP
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 10:57:46 AM »
Its like investing on something that you know that will have an impact in the future.. if you are a beginner its better to get used to quality gear because it will inspire you to learn more and have that drive.. when you can actually hear your progress... gets?!

if you are a musician at heart you will have that desire to give the best for your craft... its expensive.. but its worth it! yeah reviews will greatly help...

Offline candyapplered

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 03:51:51 PM »
right, it's an investment. choose a guitar you feel you'd be happy with for years to come.

don't be afraid to testdrive the axe for at least an hour while in the music store, try to set it up according to your specs (bridge adjustments in particular) to check for fret buzzes.

bring someone who's very familiar with your playing style when you try a new guitar.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 04:56:10 PM »
if the salesperson.. yeah the one who thinks you're just wasting his time comes up to you and says: "Sir.. mahal yan.. perhaps dito tayo sa mga samick"

slap him with your wallet!

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
It happend to me
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 11:09:29 AM »
Yeah, I can relate to that.. sa yupangco megamall... wala pa talaga me money nun to buy a brand new guitar... i was just canvassing for one.. nung tinanong ko yung salesperson dun, sabi ba naman " Mahal yan " how degrading.. even if you can play well... it doesnt mean you can step on ppl... kaya i waited.. todo asikaso sila sakin when i bought my Godin SD sa yupangco main! hehehe... Loko talaga yun... di nga marunong magset ng guitar yung ibang personnel dun eh.. when i bought yung washburn ko.. sabi nila di sila marunong mag set... haha! buti pa sa perfect pitch! same co. din mas competent ang mga tao dun.. mas ok pa kausap...

wala sa appearance yung galing sa guitar.... hehe! tugtugan nalang ang judge!

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 11:29:33 AM »
yeah dala ko dati yung guitar ko sa perfect pitch sa megamall for a set-up and since busy sila nag tsismisan nung ibang salesperson dun i just started browsing around and i was staring at this epiphone les paul (there was no price).. so i asked him how much and he said the same thing "mahal yan"

so i asked "what if i trade in my old guitar?"

the guy says: "we only accept top of the line guitars for trade"

at that point i took out my trusty PRS that always shuts them up good..

and he just goes "WOW"  :shock:  what a cunt.. sarap hampasin ng guitar!  :twisted:

they should be ASSISTING the customer not DEGRADING them. feeling nila sobrang galing nila cuz they work there.

Offline maniacally_cool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 01:51:05 PM »
i must agree with the replies here.
although, dun sa mga binigay mong options, i would choose the ibanez.
but sabi nga, kaw lng ang mkaalam ng guitar dats is just ryt for u.
hindi porke may guitar hero ka n ganito ang guitar, pipilitin mong magustuhan ung ganung guitar dahil hero m sya. investment bro ang pagbili ng guitar if ur really a passionate guitar player, kahit hobby lng or hanapbuhay.

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
in fairness
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 11:27:55 PM »
well, i have to say that iba yung naexperience ko sa perfect pitch.. inasikaso agad ako... but siguro kc i mentioned what guitar i have kaya nilka ako inasikaso hehehehe... they themselves cant even own what they are selling :) nakakagamit lang sila ng libre!

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 03:15:53 PM »
Yup sampalin nyo ng wallet!

When I have time, I visit their strores, normally Im very nice wen trying out their equipments.

Pero pag ina-angasan ako, ino-okray ko ung Guitar. Ung guitar at nde ung salesperson.  Kasi in a way, sya napapahiya dahil binebenta nya un.
I'd be like: "ayan oh, wala sa intonation, for 50k di naka-intonate ikaw ba bibili ka ng ganun?? Eh kung diko alam trus rod problema nyan e di mabigat un! Ung action ang taas....Adjust nyo muna yan!"

I really dont believe that there can be any a good guitar that is in superb setup ryt of the store. Normally they need adjustments. When I see those flaws..haha! :twisted:
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »
Its like being in a fine dine-in restaurant...If you dont like the service, you let the manager know about it.

Customer ka e.
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 08:58:56 PM »
tell me about it...the level of service anywhere back home is crap.Pumunta ako SM baguio and went to some photo place and these lady behind me na may manual rewinding na camera pinapadevelop nya,inabot nya na hindi pa nakarewind sabi ba naman ng babae doon "baka masira pa mga nails namin dyan" im like what the hell man :roll:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2005, 10:46:35 PM »
Quote from: jack in a vox

so i asked "what if i trade in my old guitar?"

the guy says: "we only accept top of the line guitars for trade"

at that point i took out my trusty PRS that always shuts them up good..

and he just goes "WOW"  :shock:  what a cunt.. sarap hampasin ng guitar!  :twisted:

LOL - that's quite a funny story. Hope you told that to Jun Fernandez (i.e. "MCF") of Yupangco so the salesman gets a sound whuppin' :)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 02:43:03 PM »
hahaha not worth it.. just the look on his face was enough..

besides this happened years ago.. when i was on holiday in manila in 99

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
haha
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 06:47:38 PM »
well, some guys at music stores tend to be arrogant.. until they realize that their costumers know better! hehe... sometimes they just bragg abt this and that.. until one of of speaks.. now thats a gud way to shut their trap! haha

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2005, 07:34:50 PM »
kinda like going to a mechanic.. and pretend you know nothing about cars.. and he'll start ripping you off..

another thing.. i went there again more recently to look at a marshall cab. I was asking him if they had a 1960A or AV cab.. and he pointed me towards a H&K cab that had "celestions" i asked him what kind.. and he said the "regular" kind. And because i did my homework.. the ones on the H&K were celestion rock pro "reds" which are nowhere near the celestion greenbacks or vintage 30s.

so yes, sometimes, dont expect them to give you good advice.. it pays to be infromed.  :wink:

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
yep!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 08:47:57 AM »
a little research before you buy or checkout new gear wouldnt hurt! and its always good to know your gear!

Offline Kulas

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »
if you're looking for versatility of tone, say like for a showband/cover band, go for a single-coil equipped guitar. if you're looking to "rawk!" or mabangis na tugtugan, at the same time kahit papano versatile din, go for a humbucker equipped guitar. or if you want the best of both worlds, get a guitar with both single coils and humbuckers.

pero sa choices na binigay mo, i'd go for the ibanez gax70. that one guitar is hella good! cheap pa for the quality.