hulika

Author Topic: CPU coolers  (Read 17192 times)

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
CPU coolers
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:05:44 PM »
guys bigay naman kayo ng comment sa mga nagamit or ginagamit ninyong cpu coolers pati specs... kung pwede rin yung processor ng cpu nyo at yung constant controlled temperature ng cooler. paki specify din kung may room ac kayo o wala. i'm looking for an air type lang. candidates ko ay cm at tt. thanks.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: CPU coolers
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:25:56 AM »
Don't forget to add Zalman, Scythe and Arctic Cooling (the Freezer Pros are quite good!) to your list of candidates.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:58:14 AM »
Thank sir Kitc, I only see CM and TT where I buy my computer parts. Do we have those locally available?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »
Thank sir Kitc, I only see CM and TT where I buy my computer parts. Do we have those locally available?

Yes we do. Go to tipidpc.com and do a search (at the right side) for IFS (items for sale); scroll down through the drop down and select cooling devices. There's a premium member named waycool who deals in HSFs and other cooling devices.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »
Most of CPU Cooler designs are CM's concepts. Like for example... Ninja Scythe was copied from CM's Hyper6+, TT's Beetle was copied from CM's Jet4

So for me... I still go for CM's CPU Coolers.

heres my current cpu cooler... CM Eclipes current temps: Idle 25 degrees, Busy 30-38 Degrees Celcius

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:24:57 PM »
TT's Beetle was copied from CM's Jet4

I wouldn't call it a copy since the Jet4 uses a 'jet engine housing' for a centrifugal fan which blows down into an all copper skived (I think) heatsink. The Beetle uses a heatpiped design with the cooling fins inside a ducted housing with an axial fan in front. I agree, though, that CM designs are innovative. If there's one kind of cooler I would like to have though, it would be Asetek's unusual Vapochill Micro.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:34:52 PM »
Yes we do. Go to tipidpc.com and do a search (at the right side) for IFS (items for sale); scroll down through the drop down and select cooling devices. There's a premium member named waycool who deals in HSFs and other cooling devices.

Thanks sir Kitc, I'll check it.

Most of CPU Cooler designs are CM's concepts. Like for example... Ninja Scythe was copied from CM's Hyper6+, TT's Beetle was copied from CM's Jet4

So for me... I still go for CM's CPU Coolers.

heres my current cpu cooler... CM Eclipes current temps: Idle 25 degrees, Busy 30-38 Degrees Celcius

Thanks sir jepoy, thats pretty good to hear isa nga yan sa candidate ko. magkano kuha ninyo dyan sir?

ito nga pla yung ibang candidates pa

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »
I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. Good stuff. I've been running my Athlon 64 at 270MHz FSB ever since I got the Freezer 64 Pro last January. I can push it a bit more, but I don't see the point anymore.

I guess I should've bought the LGA775 version as well when waycool still had them in stock.

Another one for me to look forward to is the Thermalright Ultima90.

I thought about building a water-cooled rig as I already have a Black Ice Pro radiator and the owner of HWLabs was offering me a waterblock for cheap. But then I figured I might lose patience with the hassle it brings.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »
thanks sir al, good to hear your comment. i have a 775 and constant temp is 50c but sometimes lumalagpas sya ng 60c so i'm currently looking for an air cooler. i have been reading about zalman, ninja and others but design wise mas gus2 ko yung cm at tt

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »
nakow mahal pa to nung nakuha ko eh. 2.5k. Malamang bumaba na price neto ngayon.

Try to look for gmkfree at tipidpc.com

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:15:40 AM »
thanks sir al, good to hear your comment. i have a 775 and constant temp is 50c but sometimes lumalagpas sya ng 60c so i'm currently looking for an air cooler.

And I thought I was running hot at 49 deg C at full load (no aircon). I thought C2Ds run cool... what kind of 775 is that? Btw, I was testing a usb wifi 'dongle' and I found out it ups my temps by at least 2 degrees. It confirms what I know that usb is heavy on the cpu.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »
nakow mahal pa to nung nakuha ko eh. 2.5k. Malamang bumaba na price neto ngayon.

Try to look for gmkfree at tipidpc.com

thanks sir i sent him a mail. dun sa shop na binibilihan ko meron pero 2700 price nla.

And I thought I was running hot at 49 deg C at full load (no aircon). I thought C2Ds run cool... what kind of 775 is that? Btw, I was testing a usb wifi 'dongle' and I found out it ups my temps by at least 2 degrees. It confirms what I know that usb is heavy on the cpu.

c2d 4300 1.8 sir Kitc, i'll try to lessen my usb connections cause i have a lot of peripherals.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:26:11 AM »
c2d 4300 1.8 sir Kitc, i'll try to lessen my usb connections cause i have a lot of peripherals.

that is hot for a c2d.  my pentium d 805 runs with those temps without aircon.  parang may hairdryer sa loob pag full blast yun hsf when i connect a dv through firewire.  wonder what's happenin though.  sorry jun_gats for the hijack.  na curious din lang ako.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 09:58:33 AM »

Temp increase due to usb usage is not cumulative per device, it is according to how much the device 'polls' the cpu. You may have several usb devices but if they don't communicate with the cpu that often, then you shouldn't experience that high a temp increase. I was working with a Belkin USB Wifi transceiver NIC and I noticed significant 'polling'. My guess is that I'm using SP1 which doesn't work well with USB wifi (I'm still trying to get the Belkin to work; might have to go SP2 though).

Your temps are very high for a C2D. According to some docs I've read, 60 deg. is 'high', 50 deg. is 'warm', and 40 deg. is considered 'safe'. If you are using the stock HSF that comes with your C2D, You should be getting temps in the 50 range. Try to look at the airflow within your case. If you don't have a case intake fan, consider adding one, preferably the 120 mm fans which run quieter. I've seen new cases with 250 mm fans on the side!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
AFAIK... mas mainit nga daw talaga ang C2D compared with AMD X2.   My current temps runs without A/C din...Pero 50degrees is really to much i think.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »
that is hot for a c2d.  my pentium d 805 runs with those temps without aircon.  parang may hairdryer sa loob pag full blast yun hsf when i connect a dv through firewire.  wonder what's happenin though.  sorry jun_gats for the hijack.  na curious din lang ako.

I know this is an issue... hopefully I can get a fix

Temp increase due to usb usage is not cumulative per device, it is according to how much the device 'polls' the cpu. You may have several usb devices but if they don't communicate with the cpu that often, then you shouldn't experience that high a temp increase. I was working with a Belkin USB Wifi transceiver NIC and I noticed significant 'polling'. My guess is that I'm using SP1 which doesn't work well with USB wifi (I'm still trying to get the Belkin to work; might have to go SP2 though).

Your temps are very high for a C2D. According to some docs I've read, 60 deg. is 'high', 50 deg. is 'warm', and 40 deg. is considered 'safe'. If you are using the stock HSF that comes with your C2D, You should be getting temps in the 50 range. Try to look at the airflow within your case. If you don't have a case intake fan, consider adding one, preferably the 120 mm fans which run quieter. I've seen new cases with 250 mm fans on the side!

I see. Normally it’s really recommended to upgrade to sp2 for driver issues. Aside from that a lot of updates are added to sp2.  Major issues known windows XP are fixed.

The Mobo is fine the temperature is constant to 34 c it's just the processor... if Idle normally it's on the 50 c but when it get's busy it goes above 60 c. I have 5 80cc fans. 1 infront, 1 on top, 2 on the side infront of the hsf and 1 at the back beside the psu and hsf. The psu also has a big fan I don’t know the exact size but bigger than 120cc.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
that is hot for a c2d.  my pentium d 805 runs with those temps without aircon.  parang may hairdryer sa loob pag full blast yun hsf when i connect a dv through firewire.  wonder what's happenin though.  sorry jun_gats for the hijack.  na curious din lang ako.

I know this is an issue... hopefully I can get a fix

I see. Normally it’s really recommended to upgrade to sp2 for driver issues. Aside from that a lot of updates are added to sp2.  Major issues known windows XP are fixed.

The Mobo is fine the temperature is constant to 34 c it's just the processor... if Idle normally it's on the 50 c but when it get's busy it goes above 60 c. I have 5 80cc fans. 1 infront, 1 on top, 2 on the side infront of the hsf and 1 at the back beside the psu and hsf. The psu also has a big fan I don’t know the exact size but bigger than 120cc.

AFAIK... mas mainit nga daw talaga ang C2D compared with AMD X2.   My current temps runs without A/C din...Pero 50degrees is really to much i think.

Oo nga sir e, thats why I need to get a solution. malaki kasi apekto sa performance

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
Gamit kong cooler thermalright SI-128, naka delta 120mm .45A fan. Cpu ko c2D 6400 @ 3GHz, temps are 36 idle 48 to 50 load.. Balak ko din palitan ito ng Ultra 120 extreme or ifx14..

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
oo nga e, parang masyadong mainit ang processor kapag 40 - 50. masamababa lang sana ng konti para masmaganda ang performance.

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 01:43:01 PM »
oo nga e, parang masyadong mainit ang processor kapag 40 - 50. masamababa lang sana ng konti para masmaganda ang performance.

Depende na rin sa processor mo, sa pentium d normal lang yan kasi 92nm pa yan, malalaki ang transistors, ang core 2 mas malamig yan kasi mas maliit ang transistor. yung sa akin naman kaya nag 50 sa load (orthos, 3dmark, sobrang gandang 3d games- oblivion etc.,) naka -OC kasi. pag stock nasa mga 43 lang load nito. Pati, kung stock heatsink mo sa core2 talagang mejo magiinit yan, pero 60 talagang mainit na yan. nung naka stock HSF and stock clock speed kasi ito nasa 49-52 lang load nito..

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 01:57:28 PM »
oo nga e, pero the colder the better sana sir. kaya papalitan ko nlng ng cooler pra walang problema.  :-D thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 08:25:14 PM »
I have 5 80cc fans. 1 infront, 1 on top, 2 on the side infront of the hsf and 1 at the back beside the psu and hsf. The psu also has a big fan I don’t know the exact size but bigger than 120cc.

Hehe, haven't seen fan size expressed in cubic centimeters before.

I suggest carefully checking how your fans are circulating air inside your case. To borrow some terminology from automotive engineering as well as HVAC (I'm a BSME btw), the air direction should be crossflow, preferably with hot air exiting the top. Since your PSU has an exhaust fan, you can consider it as part of your overall fan count.

Wrong fan setup can and does cause turbulence inside a case. While turbulence cannot be completely avoided, it is the formation of vortices that cause hot air to recirculate inside the case; this can be the reason for your high temps.You don't need to fill up your case with fans. Proper placement and choice of fans can prevent the formation of vortices; good cable management is also a must. In my case, for ex. I have a 120 mm intake and 80 mm exhaust, a Tt Big Typhoon -previously Tt Beetle- on the cpu and a HEC PSU with dual fans (80 mm exhaust, 120 mm intake). Temps are 43 deg at idle, 49 max at load; and this is with a 3200+ A64. I'm thinking of adding another 80 mm exhaust but at least, temps are still manageable. Peaks temps during the recent summer was 53 deg max with 47-48 idle, no aircon whatsoever.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 08:41:49 PM »
Hehe, haven't seen fan size expressed in cubic centimeters before.

I suggest carefully checking how your fans are circulating air inside your case. To borrow some terminology from automotive engineering as well as HVAC (I'm a BSME btw), the air direction should be crossflow, preferably with hot air exiting the top. Since your PSU has an exhaust fan, you can consider it as part of your overall fan count.

Wrong fan setup can and does cause turbulence inside a case. While turbulence cannot be completely avoided, it is the formation of vortices that cause hot air to recirculate inside the case; this can be the reason for your high temps.You don't need to fill up your case with fans. Proper placement and choice of fans can prevent the formation of vortices; good cable management is also a must. In my case, for ex. I have a 120 mm intake and 80 mm exhaust, a Tt Big Typhoon -previously Tt Beetle- on the cpu and a HEC PSU with dual fans (80 mm exhaust, 120 mm intake). Temps are 43 deg at idle, 49 max at load; and this is with a 3200+ A64. I'm thinking of adding another 80 mm exhaust but at least, temps are still manageable. Peaks temps during the recent summer was 53 deg max with 47-48 idle, no aircon whatsoever.

hahaha... sorry sir Kitc its mm words auto replace feature my bad...  i see. yah my colleague mentioned that this morning. Check the positioning of the fan for intake and out take. Good to hear. I work with data centers and telecommunications setup for controlled environment this is a different setup though because with the equipments you can really control what you need to control. Thanks. Btw saan ba yung Pc hub?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »
Btw saan ba yung Pc hub?

In the heart of PC evil, Gilmore facing St. Paul (I was there earlier today getting a CM chipset fan - the original one on my mobo failed on me  :| ). It's the 2nd to the last shop along Aurora Blvd, going in the direction of Cubao. Another good choice is RSUN Computers along Shaw Blvd., that's where I got my Beetle a couple of years ago.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
In the heart of PC evil, Gilmore facing St. Paul (I was there earlier today getting a CM chipset fan - the original one on my mobo failed on me  :| ). It's the 2nd to the last shop along Aurora Blvd, going in the direction of Cubao. Another good choice is RSUN Computers along Shaw Blvd., that's where I got my Beetle a couple of years ago.

Once again thanks sir Kitc, i have learned a lot from you. I was thinking of going kanina pero I changed my mind. Naku baka maparami ang gas ko kasi dun pla ako dadalhin ng tadhana  :-D