hulika

Author Topic: The Metallica Thread  (Read 4499 times)

Offline toybitz

The Metallica Thread
« on: August 28, 2007, 05:24:47 PM »
after almost three decades...

do you think they've slowed down or gotten old playing their instruments?

imo..nope.

Lars still rocks hard and fast when they play their old songs...so does the rest.

James' still deadly with his riffs and Kirk, his buddy still compliments his playing.

Trujillo is macho and younger.

\m/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:36:01 AM by toybitz »
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

nO RLY

Re: can still Metallica "play"?....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:27:41 PM »
imo as well, i think they've still got "it". even though they haven't made new material yet.. :|

Offline low_end

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:51:40 PM »
hell yeah...metallica still got the speed and endurance and the metal in them...long live metallica...and with the added rob,he brings the spirit of cliff so to speak...as quoted from their some kind of monster home video: he havent palyed that much since cliff...and their new album hopefully be   released soon..

Offline toybitz

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:48 AM »
imo as well, i think they've still got "it". even though they haven't made new material yet.. :|

chin up Bro...a new album is in the making with new producer Rick Rubin of the Red Hot chilli peppers fame...

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: can Metallica still "play"?....
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:46:16 AM »
I heard that Rick Rubin has been notorious for being an absentee producer though (heard rumors that it went down that way for the Linkin Park and the last Chili Peppers albums...chismis!).  I hope he'll be more hands-on with this project.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 02:56:57 AM »
whoa! then Rick is that deym good!

partida pa pala kasi he's work is excellent to my ears.

nO RLY

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
is Rick the producer in Metallica's last album? the one with "St. Anger". that album really sounded different to their usual "rock fast, rock hard" style. :-)

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:11:03 PM »
IMO

the well has run dry for Metallica

it's been years since we've heard a solid metallica song, i mean something like "creeping death", "One", etc.

the last album was Metallica trying to be hard rock band, the tone was different, the rhythm was different and the song writing was weak, I can't even remember how their last song went, it was so forgettable.

something died in metallica, I hope this next one will bring back the speed and the fury that was metallica....I mean megadeth went through the exact same thing and now they're back with The System has Failed and it was like a re-born megadeth, so I'm sure James and the boys can still pull something out of their hats.

but I won't be surprised if they don't.
Visit the Phantom Mime on soundclick!www.soundlick.com/PhantomMime

LOOKING FOR ROCK GUITARIST LP AREA click here for more info

nO RLY

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »
"One" was a masterpiece :-D

^^ maybe they just wanted to change their sound. maybe they wanted something beyond the usual sound of Metallica. but i think their "in your face" sound is still there.

Offline IncX

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »

i really like metallica... even when they changed sound with load ... i still think they were good. maybe not my kind of music, but nevertheless, a very good band.

i keep seeing things like we want more "master of puppets," "battery," "one," etc. you should realize that when you tour and play for like 5 years straight (ala the Black album tour) you get bored with the runs and style of a certain kind of music (in metallica's case, new wave of british heavy metal influenced stuff) ... sure they were great songs... but cmon, you must have realized metallica and its counterparts have used the formulas in those songs more than once... here are some:

1.) creeping death - its an E5 run used by slayer, exodus, etc. and as for the middle part, it uses the standard "metal formula 7th position runs" metallica also used on "Fade to Black" ... lets not even start with slayer abusing that formula to death.

2.) One - remember that chord shape? ... Welcome Home Sanitarium, and Fade to Black are all i could remember.

3.) Master of Puppets - slayer's Behind the Crooked Cross... and tons of Exodus songs.

4.) battery - fight fire with fire, blackened...

its understandable that metallica would get tired of that style... and besides, i dont find metallica fast at all... i find lars slow for a thrash metal drummer actually... however, the real strength of metallica are:

-great stage presence. probably the best compared to their batch mates
-great songs and lyrics that are easy to sing along to

Offline mariachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
very well said IncX.. i totally agree with you. even in the load album, some of the familiar riffs were there. (e.g. sandman = king nothing). but i dont care.. they still rock  :-)
That in all things, God may be glorified!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 08:06:06 PM »
is Rick the producer in Metallica's last album? the one with "St. Anger". that album really sounded different to their usual "rock fast, rock hard" style. :-)

nope Dude, it's still Bob Rock..same producer since the black album.  Bob even played bass on the entire St. Anger album.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
IMO

the well has run dry for Metallica

it's been years since we've heard a solid metallica song, i mean something like "creeping death", "One", etc.

the last album was Metallica trying to be hard rock band, the tone was different, the rhythm was different and the

nice input there Bro..

ako, I believe Metallica didn't want to produce another Master Of Puppets album, nor another Ride The Lightning or Black Album..

Justice for all is different from the first three albums and so was the Black.

What sounded the same was the first three and the Load and Reload which was really written at the same period but released on different dates.

just like Pearl Jam..a lot of fans have been waiting for another "Evenflow" kind of song but the band has been there and done that and has moved on.

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 12:10:39 AM »
sino bang nagsabing "Metallica can't play anymore"?

masmaganda tanong ay, can metallica still "play" good enough?

YES syempre!!!
Click Here

Offline low_end

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »

its understandable that metallica would get tired of that style... and besides, i dont find metallica fast at all... i find lars slow for a thrash metal drummer actually... however, the real strength of metallica are:

-great stage presence. probably the best compared to their batch mates
-great songs and lyrics that are easy to sing along to

i think lars is fast enough to be a trash metal drummer..not that technical drummer though....and james hetfield is really fast picker.even the late great dimebag darrell admits he could'nt do some of those hetfield fast chops....

athor than that...perhaps metallica really wants to try and try something new...an ingredients  to redefine even theirselves...if you notice hetfield always done same hand gesture and action,which pertains to the lyrics, over and over again...watch different videos of their song harvester of sorrow.hehehe...but actually one of my fave metallica song...

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 10:13:20 AM »
ako, I believe Metallica didn't want to produce another Master Of Puppets album, nor another Ride The Lightning or Black Album..

I hear ya'

pero when I said they haven't made a song like "creeping death" or "One" I meant that they haven't made a really relevant song since.

I understand that there comes a time when a band/artist want to reinvent their sound into something new, that comes naturally, but what I'm saying is they haven't really made anything to push their "new" sound.  The sound that they have now is somewhere between old metallica and whatever sound they're going for. And for that their songwriting suffers.

All the old metallica songs or hits as some would like to call them, if you listen to them now are still very much relevant to rock listeners.  The riffs were very original, the beats, the overall theme are still very much relevant, it doesn't matter if you're a new or old fan or if you've never heard of metallica before, if you hear "master of puppets" you'll say automatically "Wow this song really rocks!".  With their new songs it's more like "yeah, it's ok". Most of the guys that listen to metallica now, are old fans who listen to metallica just because they're metallica. 

I'm not waiting for another "creeping death".

I want a song that has the intensity and fire and heaviness that will make me say "Yeah, now that's f*cking metallica!"

I hope they do it with this new album.
Visit the Phantom Mime on soundclick!www.soundlick.com/PhantomMime

LOOKING FOR ROCK GUITARIST LP AREA click here for more info

Offline low_end

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
tama...+ 100

Offline toybitz

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 12:20:44 AM »

I hear ya'

pero when I said they haven't made a song like "creeping death" or "One" I meant that they haven't made a really relevant song since.

Hi Sponkel,

I think song appreciation is very subjective.

I was a fan of the black album and worked my way backwards.

I also like Load and Reload..."Fuel" never cease to fuel my energy to go ugh everytime I hear it.   Its intense enough for me.  As for St. Anger...I like Frantic and would've love the album more if it weren't for the way the band sounded in the recording.

As far as history goes, don't we all just appreciate the old stuff almost all the time than recent ones?

anyways, this off topic. 

Blessings!

Offline IncX

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »

All the old metallica songs or hits as some would like to call them, if you listen to them now are still very much relevant to rock listeners.  The riffs were very original, the beats, the overall theme are still very much relevant, it doesn't matter if you're a new or old fan or if you've never heard of metallica before, if you hear "master of puppets" you'll say automatically "Wow this song really rocks!".  With their new songs it's more like "yeah, it's ok". Most of the guys that listen to metallica now, are old fans who listen to metallica just because they're metallica. 

original?

Diamond Head (the band they were trying to clone judging on riffs), Venom, Exodus, Celtic Frost and a whole bunch of the stuff from Kill Em All to Justice For All ... they were all NWOBHM influenced.

come to think of it... metallica became really original with black album to the current one... its the part where they outgrew the NWOBHM influences they grew up with and started to mix a lof of none metal influences... result? a lot more original than the all NWOBHM stuff they use to play.

not that im knocking off kill 'em all - justice... admittedly, those are my fave metallica albums.

i guess im just trying to say... DON'T MISTAKE GOOD MUSIC AS ALL ORIGINAL MUSIC (believe it or not, a lot of those original music suck and are unlistenable ... i mean, an all banjo grindcore band?! thats original but id never listen to that).

and metallica still kicks a** ... listen to exodus if you miss those thrash metal stuff... i think that band still hasnt outgrown the NWOBHM genre... i might be wrong, since im not really a fan of this band (i just heard 2 tapes of it while working 8 hours in a fastfood).

-*-

as for dime saying he cant do those hetfield stuff... cmon guys... do you believe that?!

DIME CAN DO THOSE THINGS (and more).

he just said that as a gesture of respect to someone who influenced him.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:01:18 AM by IncX »

Offline toybitz

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 12:30:26 AM »

-*-

as for dime saying he cant do those hetfield stuff... cmon guys... do you believe that?!

DIME CAN DO THOSE THINGS (and more).

he just said that as a gesture of respect to someone who influenced him.

well...you just gotta take it in context of what Dime said.

Offline low_end

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 01:07:20 AM »
well...you just gotta take it in context of what Dime said.

yep...its just  based from an interview in guitar world..some of james picking style is cannot be done by the late dime.....or is dime just being humble....hu knows...im not a mister know it all kind of guy :-D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:07:47 PM by low_end »

Offline Paolo-I-b

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
METALLICA = GOD
I can't say what I want to.. even if Im not serious.. just kidding..

Offline IncX

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
yep...its just  based from an interview in guitar world..some of james picking style is cannot be done by the late dime.....or is dime just being humble....hu knows...im not a mister know it all kind of guy :-D

i know a lot of ppl who can... and i think dime is better than those guys.

i mean... havent you experienced that? ... you become better than your teacher and you dont say things like "im better than my teacher!" ... you say things like "my teacher taught me well, but i can never be equal to the skill of my teacher. in my book he will always be better"

thats not false humility... that's respect.

and back to dime... out of 10 gear endorsements dimebag did... i believed only 1. how about you? do you believe in all his quotes saying "this is the best tuner, this is the best string, this is the secret of my tone - things?"

Offline cowboi_way

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »
i think they can.

yung first album talaga type ko :evil:
fender standard strat (standard lang)squire by fender strat cali (crap)fender fm 25dsp (crappy)marshall ms-2r (great sounding amp, cool od)yamaha fx370c (ok na rin)kahon - maestro ( nakita sa mag used by escueta)line 6 - floor pod ( yeah  ! )
fender-dc60

Offline toybitz

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 01:01:47 AM »
noice!

can we try to stay on the topic?  :-D