hulika

Author Topic: Just a suggestion guys: How about an overdrive and distortion pedal tone party?  (Read 43661 times)

ginblue

sama ko dala ko Ricabb DS1 mod and SD1 GT mod
sama ko na EMMA RF1 kung pede sa inyo

pede?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
But if it's anything na lang, I can throw in a mobile recording setup courtesy of our in-house studio genius xjepoyx. Yung simple lang syempre, siguro a couple of SM57's and condenser mikes, an Alesis Multimix and a laptop.

Juggle the thought around. If you trust the recording arts enough, we can just record the pedals one by one without any shootout. Then give copies of the clips all around and post it even to some soundclick page. That way, even long after the event, armchair "personal" shootouts can still be conducted.

When you have recorded clips, you can then mix and match the shootouts any way you want.

Apart from the greater satisfaction in hearing the pedals live and as an excuse to EB if it were a live shootout, yours is actually a great idea.  If you guys can document and 'remember' the recording setup, we can keep recording other pedals at future dates and just do a reference library of pedal tones for comparison by anyone at any given time.  Pero siyempre dapat di lossy ung format at maganda monitors or earphones ng listener if they wanna do a good evaluation.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Oo naman. Those who go will still get to hear the pedals live. We will just have a sonic reference on record.

Juggle this one din. Judges and participants going around toting their own guitar, going around from "booth to booth" and plugging in. Then they have a clipboard for notes and ratings.

Yun lang, the amps might be different.

Pero eto least messy kasi we don't have to focus our attention to one point at any one time.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
LOL!!!  You been living under a rock bro?  I called that off a long time ago.  We all know that other dude has better things to do than make challenges...  And I have better things to do than stoop down to them.  :-D

Di ba may sem-break na parating?  Pero kung xmas break, even Dec 30, ok lang din, as long as walang plans ang families ng principals. ;-) 

Hahaha. Apparently matagal na kong di napapadpad sa mga threads nyong dalawa. :-D

Oo naman. Those who go will still get to hear the pedals live. We will just have a sonic reference on record.

Juggle this one din. Judges and participants going around toting their own guitar, going around from "booth to booth" and plugging in. Then they have a clipboard for notes and ratings.

Yun lang, the amps might be different.

Pero eto least messy kasi we don't have to focus our attention to one point at any one time.
Great idea sir. Ayus yun, parang great way to find a pedal which suits each participants' tastes. Now if we only had a place where we could find booths... Plus, kung may mga endorsers diyan na pwedeng magbenta ng gamit if merong may natripan na pedal. Looks like a business opportunity for our local modders and yung mga boutique pedal distributors.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus

Cool, albeit, different idea. That sounds to me like a "tone tiangge" or "tone fair". It'd be difficult to make objective comparisons in that situation.

But it's a nice idea, maybe PIMP can pursue it?  Malaki ung sala nila <blank>... pwede pa hanggang veranda at garage.  ;-)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:15:46 PM by deltaslim »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Poundcake,

Though I admire the effort and I believe it is educational because it exposes everyone to the not so common pedal, I think it will not be a good way to test pedals.  First and foremost, through the dozens of pedals that I currently own and most of them can be considered "MY PEDALS BEAT YOUR PEDALS CRAP", I believe that you cannot take pedals out of the Guitar and AMP context.  They react so differently with each other and with different AMPs that I cannot let go of any because of the different flavor they give.  Just by changing cables, the whole signal chain's timbre changes and reacts differently to your playing.  Whether I am fortunate or lucky, I realized this when you start to own two or more good sounding tube amps at the same time.  And by the way, I still do believe there are superior effects pedals and I will not be politically correct about it.  For example, nothing ever by behringer and boss today can ever touch any of my pedals in terms of sound quality.

After years of reading posts both here and in other forums and much thinking, I do subscribe to the current method of buy and try and then sell later if you do not like it if you are on a limited budget.  Why?  Because if you have limited resources, you are forced to make choices about your tone and timbre.  As I mentioned above, by the sheer amount of tonal choices and permutations possible, it really takes a lot of introspection to decide how I personally want to sound. 

The other thing worth mentioning is that everyone physically hears timbre differently.  This is a painful lesson learnt after tons of posts.  Though I have enough reasonably good sounding gear that can go after most of the desired timbres, I am still surprised how my personal friends would set up the same gear.  Most of the time, the settings are so unique that I wonder why I did not consider that specific setting before.   

So, its a great exposure if every one else brings his own guitar and amp set up along to test the pedals.  In the end, I realized after all the accolades and criticisms about gear on this forum, when you power down the computer and after the shootout, it all boils down to either massaging your ego that you were not fooled in your latest toy purchase or that you have stronger conviction that your pedal or equipment truly sounds great.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Alex, that's exactly the reason why we're planning to have controlled variables such as guitars used, amps used, etc. The overall purpose of this activity is not to determine the exact tone that a whole signal chain can generate but just to give the other people here a general idea of how certain OD and distortion pedals, boutique, modded and mass produced included, sound in comparison to their other counterparts. I've owned, tested and used a lot of pedals and I would just like to let the others try out and hear for themselves the ones that I currently own and consider to be "great sounding" so that they don't need to blindly spend their hard-earned money to buy pedals that they aren't so certain about. Not a lot of people here have already tried Fulltones, HBEs, Lovepedals, Xotics, etc. and the point is, we won't even try to alter their perception of what is good or not; they'll be the judge if those more expensive pedals are really worth the money.

Not everyone can use the buy-without-prior-testing-and-try method because it's pretty obvious that most of the people can't afford to do that locally. No one will be less knowledgeable about guitar gear after this activity, that's for sure. It's also a good opportunity to get to hang out with the other forumites here. Thanks for your comments!

Anyway Jobet, kung pwede sa PIMP, game tayo! I'm trying to look for other venues din but please confirm if PIMP can host this activity. You are the EB forum moderator, anyway hehehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline r_lozano

I have an added suggestion.
For safety precautions, mas maganda ata kung may magre-record ng mga gears and their respective owners. Bka kasi magkapalitan ng gamit or worse baka may mawalan. 

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
I'm all for it and i guess isang paalam lang sa landlordsd yan. However,do consider na walang ilaw sa main lobby area and it gets dark there. Yung mga scared of the dark might get ...well,scared hehehe. if we plan something we must be done by 6.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
On the si kan thot ,

If by happenstance we can manage to fit into the PIMP studio tracking room (appx 20 sqm) then ala na tayong problem. Even the recording ports will be there and recording will be a snap. Nasa studio na e :D We'll just evacuate the drums.

Scout for larger venues na din. How about...teka whats that place in Teacher's Village...

Then there's Anna's Bar in Pasong tamo. Okay din dun. We also have the former Adobo Republic at Katipunan, friend ko part-owner nun. Dami venue jan na pwede ipasara.

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Uy mukhang masaya to.  Kung hindi naman masyadong matagal para sa inyo, gawin niyo nalang sa January para maka sali ako.  I can bring beer and a Zen Drive.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Uy mukhang masaya to.  Kung hindi naman masyadong matagal para sa inyo, gawin niyo nalang sa January para maka sali ako.  I can bring beer and a Zen Drive.

Joey Puyat demoed his Zendrive last night. Suweet sounding pedal, I should say. Na-insecure ata ako ng kaunti mwahahaha. Makes me think twice about mosfet overdrive pedals...hmmm...

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Joey Puyat demoed his Zendrive last night. Suweet sounding pedal, I should say. Na-insecure ata ako ng kaunti mwahahaha. Makes me think twice about mosfet overdrive pedals...hmmm...
Bamf,
Para hindi ka ma insecure beer nalang dadalin ko.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Alex, that's exactly the reason why we're planning to have controlled variables such as guitars used, amps used, etc. The overall purpose of this activity is not to determine the exact tone that a whole signal chain can generate but just to give the other people here a general idea of how certain OD and distortion pedals, boutique, modded and mass produced included, sound in comparison to their other counterparts. I've owned, tested and used a lot of pedals and I would just like to let the others try out and hear for themselves the ones that I currently own and consider to be "great sounding" so that they don't need to blindly spend their hard-earned money to buy pedals that they aren't so certain about. Not a lot of people here have already tried Fulltones, HBEs, Lovepedals, Xotics, etc. and the point is, we won't even try to alter their perception of what is good or not; they'll be the judge if those more expensive pedals are really worth the money.

Not everyone can use the buy-without-prior-testing-and-try method because it's pretty obvious that most of the people can't afford to do that locally. No one will be less knowledgeable about guitar gear after this activity, that's for sure. It's also a good opportunity to get to hang out with the other forumites here. Thanks for your comments!

Anyway Jobet, kung pwede sa PIMP, game tayo! I'm trying to look for other venues din but please confirm if PIMP can host this activity. You are the EB forum moderator, anyway hehehe :)
Well said.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Bamf,
Para hindi ka ma insecure beer nalang dadalin ko.

Kaunting kaunti lang naman. Pramis :D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
For example, nothing ever by behringer and boss today can ever touch any of my pedals in terms of sound quality.

Debunking absolute claims like this is why "real" shootouts are worthwhile and were 'invented' in the first place.  That's why this particular shootout is designed to negate prejudice from biased tone snobs who listen with something other than their ears. 

Move on people... back to the substance of this thread.

To firm things up, here's a suggestion:
Date: Nov 10, Sat, 2pm onwards
Venue: PIMP studio (tentative)

Meanwhile, let's start an attendance and sign-up sheet for the roles outlined above:

Pedal Volunteers (you can also sign up for other roles)
1. Joric - Zendrive, Route 66, stock OD3

Judge:

Player:

Referee/Technician:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:03:35 PM by deltaslim »

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
2. Mark- BB Preamp,DIY BSIAB2,stock SD2

Judge:

Player:

Referee/Technician
:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:24:57 PM by kawayan_strat »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
3. BAMF (DS1 Recto, DS1 Bakemono, HM100 Bakero, Boston OD100 "Plexibox")

Judge:

Player:

Referee/Technician:

ginblue

4. Ginblue (EMMA rf1, Ricabb's DS1 and SD GT Mod)

Judge:

Player:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ayusin ko lang, nawala ung "referee/technician"... tsaka may mga nominees ako:

Judge (preferably pro/semi-pro players or recording engineers):

Player:
1.  (nominee ko for clean amp/Strat player - bluenote)
2.  (nominee ko for dirty amp/HB player - psychic sushi)
3.  (2nd clean player)
4.  (2nd dirty player)

Referee/Technician

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
5. Ian - COT 50, Eternity, AC Booster, jackbauer DS-1, Power Screamer, Box of Rock (pili na lang kayo dito)

Player:
3.  (2nd clean player)
4.  (2nd dirty player)

Referee/Technician
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:07:05 PM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sali ako!  Puwede ba i-webcast?  :)

Joric -- kung as Poundcake said eh the purpose of the event is for people to just get to hear/try out different stuff, baka dapat wala na yung role of "judge" to say which ones are "better".  Ang hirap kasi kung may judging eh you can't avoid creating samaan ng loob.  Maging unofficial na lang and judging.  Suggestion lang naman.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sali ako!  Puwede ba i-webcast?  :)

Joric -- kung as Poundcake said eh the purpose of the event is for people to just get to hear/try out different stuff, baka dapat wala na yung role of "judge" to say which ones are "better".  Ang hirap kasi kung may judging eh you can't avoid creating samaan ng loob.  Maging unofficial na lang and judging.  Suggestion lang naman.

PRSMan - The purpose of the shootout is more than just letting people hear/try out different stuff, but of course it's not as absolute as determining which is "best" either cuz we all know 'best' is a relative term.  There's always the possibility that a pedal that 9 people didn't rate highly would actually be perfect for 1 guy, or a pedal that doesn't do 9 things well will do 1 thing very well.  But this approach is as close as we can reasonably get to getting objective evaluations by more than just one good ear.

Maybe a better term is "sonic evaluator" or "tone taster", not "judge" -- altho, really, that's just splitting hairs.

To be honest, I think anyone who'd have sama ng loob if their pedal didn't rate highly is being juvenile and, again, listening with their ego.  This kind of exercise is perfect for them.   As Ian said, it'll be a very useful exercise for DIY/modders and buyers of mass-produced pedals to find out how inexpensive pedals may still have a long way to go to achieve the quality of some bowteek pedals.  Or it can go the other way around -- bowteek pedal owners may realize they paid too much for something that sounds only 1% better (or not even!) than a DIY/mass produced pedal.  In both cases, the ears and opinion of other people are useful inputs when the pedal is really put through its paces. That includes situations/setups/settings that other people interested in buying it would like to know about, not just the particular application of the owner.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
5. Ian - COT 50, Eternity, AC Booster, jackbauer DS-1, Power Screamer, Box of Rock (pili na lang kayo dito)
6. Nathan - Keeley Rat2 and BD2, sobbat drivebreaker3, miaudio crunch box, 1990 Rat2

Player:
3.  (2nd clean player)
4.  (2nd dirty player)

Referee/Technician

and i'd like to nominate myself as a player too. :lol: no way i'm gonna be in the proximity of all these pedals without sampling them myself.

ginblue

6. Nathan - Keeley Rat2 and BD2, sobbat drivebreaker3, miaudio crunch box, 1990 Rat2

Player:
3.  (nominee ko for dirty amp/HB player - Ibanezman)
4.  (2nd dirty player)

Referee/Technician

and i'd like to nominate myself as a player too. cheesy no way i'm gonna be in the proximity of all these pedals without sampling them myself.