hulika

Author Topic: Local wood for guitar body  (Read 130893 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Local wood for guitar body
« Reply #575 on: April 24, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
i really hope they're willing to sell.  when i looked at the planks i only saw about 3 of them that can be made into instruments or instrument parts. 

i'll be bugging my aunt tomorrow.  i hope that

1.  they sell
2.  they sell at a reasonable price
3.  that the planks i think that are suitable are really suitable.  its hard to tell just by looking at the ends.  i want a few back and side sets :-D 

i'll let you guys know once i get an answer.

baka pwede mo sabihin na Easter gift na lang niya sayo.  or you can even ask for a free sample muna before you buy just to see if they are indeed suitable.  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline ukeleleboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #576 on: April 24, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
di ako sure eh. kasi yung mga kalantas na nakita ko sa iba hindi kasing pula nito.  baka nga, pero ewan ko lang. it could be anything, but now that i made a guitar out of it, i don't care what it is  :lol:

here's how the wood looks like as a guitar:

i love the nail marks  8-)
i have planks of this stuff that can make 2 or 3 guitar bodies, i think

anyway madami pang kahoy sa bahay nina erpat at ermat pero kinuha ko na ang mga pula.
i left a lot of planks there still, and i'll come back for them one day :-D

nice built sir!
Ang batang masipag kapag lumaki pagod...

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #577 on: April 24, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
thanks man! :-)

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #578 on: May 07, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
TELEMITE -- termite infested tele

a friend brought a termite infested plank of pine from their ancestral house.said he wanted it made into a crazy looking guitar,termite damage and all
This spot is for lease. Please message me for details.

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #579 on: May 07, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »

a friend brought a termite infested plank of pine from their ancestral house.said he wanted it made into a crazy looking guitar,termite damage and all

That's a good one! Makes me feel itchy, though. Hahaha! :-D
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #580 on: May 07, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
that's what i'm talking about!  nice build.  i mean this in a very nice way, its so ugly that its beautiful :-D

i bet it's very light.  how did you harden the termite holes/checks?  did you pour watered down glue over it?

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #581 on: May 07, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
Why do I find it cool that you turned a tremolo bridge into a hardtail? :-D
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #582 on: May 07, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
thanks.I used some epoxy and wood glue on the rotted parts to maintain stiffness and retain the body shape.my friend only plays guitar occasionally so i decided to just mount the trem bridge that way instead of looking for a hardtail and string ferrules.the donor guitar is made in pampanga,i put a jap made humbucker and single coil on it.it weighs around 6 pounds,holds its tuning well and i think it sounds ok,you can take it to a gig and not be worried about losing it to thieves.right now its on display at his house.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #583 on: May 08, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »
Why do I find it cool that you turned a tremolo bridge into a hardtail? :-D

Because it is. :-D I like it as well.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #584 on: May 08, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »
thanks.I used some epoxy and wood glue on the rotted parts to maintain stiffness and retain the body shape.my friend only plays guitar occasionally so i decided to just mount the trem bridge that way instead of looking for a hardtail and string ferrules.the donor guitar is made in pampanga,i put a jap made humbucker and single coil on it.it weighs around 6 pounds,holds its tuning well and i think it sounds ok,you can take it to a gig and not be worried about losing it to thieves.right now its on display at his house.

i think putting a real trem there would only stress the wood.  but i am surprised that it weighs 6 pounds, kind of heavy despite being termite ravaged. 

but i think my favorite feature is that the grain orientation is not parallel to the neck.  a lot of luthiers are kind of OC when it comes to this hehehe

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #585 on: May 08, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »

Now this gave me the goosebumps! But it is a beautiful guitar.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #586 on: May 08, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
i think putting a real trem there would only stress the wood.  but i am surprised that it weighs 6 pounds, kind of heavy despite being termite ravaged. 

but i think my favorite feature is that the grain orientation is not parallel to the neck.  a lot of luthiers are kind of OC when it comes to this hehehe

The grain is not parallel to the neck cause this plank came from an old spiral staircase.actually it looked like a pizza slice when i got it.had to make the tele shape fit into that slice.a lot of the weight comes from the neck itself

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #587 on: May 09, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

this guitar has a lot of character!  wonder how it sounds acoustically?  :-D

Offline RJ UBEr jam

« Reply #588 on: May 28, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
From post on first Page. .  2008. . It finally find its way back home!!!

My Narra Custom Guitar. .  borrowed by my cousin . . way back 1984!!!
He gave it back to me. . when i visited them last summer. .  
not using it anymore. .  he's now a doctor in Cal.USA.
Built this when I was still in college. . .
got a chance to get hold of this nice wood. . .
an amature luthier back then and now. . .
this was the outcome. . .

Body: Narra(red)
Neck: Guijo
Date made: approx. . 1983

Make minor restoration (stored in their attic. ..the finish was damaged badly. . refinish it), replace knobs and added string post. .
Back then this was the best guitar in MY world :-D :-D :-D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:02:42 PM by RJ UBEr jam »

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #589 on: May 29, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
i assume it feels like a long-lost toy just found it's way back home! just curious, how heavy is the body?  :-)

Offline RJ UBEr jam

« Reply #590 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »
Very true. . . its weighs just like a regular LP. . about 7-8 lbs. .

by the way the wood color is natural(no artificial flavoring :lol:). . . sprayed it with about 3 coats of acrylic clearcoat
and it still sound very nice. . .

@j-sonic tele. . . nice twist. . .very creative & ingenious! :-D
ingat ka lang baka ka masalubsub :-D

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:01:24 PM by RJ UBEr jam »

Saturn/Return

« Reply #591 on: May 30, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »

Ganda neto!

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #592 on: June 29, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
I want to buy a 14" wide plank for a cab build.  3/4" thick, at least 5-1/2ft length. :-D Where would you guys suggest I get it?  Baka may ganyang size sa stash nyo, let me know.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #593 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
I want to buy a 14" wide plank for a cab build.  3/4" thick, at least 5-1/2ft length. :-D Where would you guys suggest I get it?  Baka may ganyang size sa stash nyo, let me know.

thing is 14in wide planks are a tad just a tad not really very hard to acquire but if your patient enough meron dumadating, but kung nag mamadali ka laminating would be your best bet 2 7in wide planks = 14in hehehehe got a 14in wide maples it used to be 6ft pero na cut ko na into 18in blanks will check my sources pag meron ill let you know do you have a particular wood in mind?

if you decide to laminate i can also help you out pine cabs are ok not to mention pine is cheap at around 54 per bft the last time i purchase a part of my current stash

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #594 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
hey Micko!  was supposed to contact you 2 days ago but was terribly busy.  do you already have lightweight ash blanks in your stash?  :-)

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #595 on: June 30, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
hey Micko!  was supposed to contact you 2 days ago but was terribly busy.  do you already have lightweight ash blanks in your stash?  :-)

hi maxi!

light ash i can get but 1pc light ash wala pang atleast 14in blank for a 1 pc 2pc body blank lang meron for now might just ask a relative to select a couple of light weight ash for me soon will let you know

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #596 on: June 30, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
hi maxi!

light ash i can get but 1pc light ash wala pang atleast 14in blank for a 1 pc 2pc body blank lang meron for now might just ask a relative to select a couple of light weight ash for me soon will let you know

thanks man!  :-)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »

this is the coolness!  :-)

it just oozes character

I bet it has a bit of a "biting" tone as well some twang!  :-D
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #598 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
thing is 14in wide planks are a tad just a tad not really very hard to acquire but if your patient enough meron dumadating, but kung nag mamadali ka laminating would be your best bet 2 7in wide planks = 14in hehehehe got a 14in wide maples it used to be 6ft pero na cut ko na into 18in blanks will check my sources pag meron ill let you know do you have a particular wood in mind?

if you decide to laminate i can also help you out pine cabs are ok not to mention pine is cheap at around 54 per bft the last time i purchase a part of my current stash

Sayang.  That 14"x6ft pine could've been perfect for what I need.  Anyway, just got back from taytay... picked up a 1x14x8' plank of mahogany.  We'll see how this project turns out.

soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #599 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
for dimensions like that i'd go for a laminate plank for the project.  wood that size if not properly seasoned will move.  unless you season it yourself.  that is if you're willing to wait for at least a year for it :-P