hulika

Author Topic: How many of you have boutique pedals but don't own a tube amp?  (Read 32276 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How many of you have boutique pedals but doesn't own a tube amp?
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »
Sa madaling salita, ang 'katotoyan' ay hindi masama...
thats what i've been waiting someone to mention kanina pa. just didnt want to say it myself. :lol:

love,
the resident troll/guitar geek totoy

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »
tama si Nathan...
... LABELS SUCK ...

and if some guys would only take the time to read/edit their comments before posting so as to ensure not offending others needlessly, then there wouldn't be anyone with foot-in-mouth disease on this board... and we all would surely get along better.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »
Let me post your statement again...

You and Chromeknive are like the Dynamic Duo. I just dont know who Batman or Robin is among the two of you. Just like a motorcycle riding tandem.

Sana inabangan mo mga response ni titser_marco para di lang dynamic duo tingin mo sa amin, kundi Tito, Vic and Joey.  And the punchline is... YOU.  :D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »
tama si Nathan...
... LABELS SUCK ...

and if some guys would only take the time to read/edit their comments before posting so as to ensure not offending others needlessly, then there wouldn't be anyone with foot-in-mouth disease on this board... and we all would surely get along better.

LABELS SUCK? 

What if you get labeled a GUITAR GOD?  Label yun.  Masama yun? 

Anyway, it just goes to show that some people can really be oversensitive twats.  I wasn't even labeling anyone.  I just said It is so totoy for me... and I own my opinion.  So where does the 'labeling' occur my friend? 

I'm not here to please everyone, because if I do, I'd start not pleasing myself.  Heck, even Jesus was a prick to the Pharisees. 

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
What if you get labeled a GUITAR GOD?  Label yun.  Masama yun?
guitar god... pffft... so 80s. :lol:

i have a label that applies to everyone here though: emo.

and thats not necessarily a bad thing. ask paengkee. :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »
I do understand your point when you started this thread. The serious musician with the right purchase of gear is a definite must. Again as most would understand it's a case to case basis may it be because of funds, genre, application, and a whole lot of others.
Man, if there is one attitude I really hate, it's the people who blame the economic situation for their misgivings.  Some say, piracy is ok because we cannot afford original CDs.  Some say, it is ok to steal because they're poor.  Some say, ok lang bumili ng nakaw na cellphone dahil mahirap ang buhay. 

Look at our beloved percussionists.  Not all bring their own cars.  They have tons of stuff like congas, bongos, stands, and whatnot, but their economic situation does not devoid them from bringing their stuff to gigs, just to find out the PA lacks mics for the percs, thus they can be barely heard in the mix.  Imagine their discipline when it comes to playing? 

Here in the Philippines we only have limited dealers who would bring in the good stuff. Not all musicians here will be blessed to purchase gears abroad specially amplifiers. As you may see, there are serious musicians here that get his income by just gigging, most would apply to musicians who are in the variety genre. Their nightly gigging is not enough to fund their lust for a good tube amp. And you equate their purchase of boutique pedals as almost the same sum as the price of a tube amp. True when you add it up! But the circumstances when purchasing is different. The pedals may it be boutique or just the branded ones can be purchased individually. Ika nga kaya bilihin nang paisa-isa, kaya nang bulsa.
Dude, again, this contradicts your statement.  BOUTIQUE PEDALS AREN'T READILY AVAILABLE HERE!  So the mere fact that you have a couple of boutique pedals in your stash, means you went the extra mile to acquire them.  But NOT coupling them with a tube amp even for home use is ridiculous.  And what do you mean isa-isa?  I got my Bassman 135 for 10K, and I've seen boutique distortions go for as high as $250-300.  So how can you say I cannot acquire a tube amp but I can acquire pedals one by one?

Chromeknive says you have a criteria when you brand people as "totoy". So lets say you were at a gig and you see a guitarist with a bunch of boutique pedals and a coffin sized pedalboard but back at home he has a tube amp. Is this guitarist for you "totoy" already? Oh yeah, Chromeknive quickly said that these people are not "totoy" kasi may tube amp. Willl that be the same statement from you? So how would you know if the guitarist has a tube amp at home?

Una, I am not branding anyone.  I just said "FOR ME, it is so totoy to..."  Haaay. 
For me, pag wala kang matinong amp at gumastos ka sa boutique pedals, totoy ka. 

Anyway this thread is going nowhere. Your thread went off with a good start, very informative. Sayang lang, it had a pushy statement that has an ounce of let down.
And at the start of the thread we though you just wanted to know "no more, no less"

As far as I know, it is only you and a couple of oversensitive folks who feel there is some let-down happening here.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
ot na ata  :?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
ot na ata  :?

OO nga eh.  Nag-umpisa nung pinost ni Stringman yung pedalboard ni Satriani and called it a 'totoy board'.  :D :D :D

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2008, 10:42:37 AM »
negative labels suck. but come to think of it, we are all totoys. that's why we PLAY....the guitar.

pag may bago akong gear totoy na totoy ako. di ko alam ioperate. pag aaralan ko muna.

ps. skunks "totoy" was in a form of a criticism kaya dumami reactions.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #234 on: August 25, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
dami pa naman akong natututunan...  :lol:

research na ko ng tube amps, around 15-30watts lang
mahina lang naman pumalo drummer namin  :-D

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #235 on: August 25, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
No more. No Less.

OKAMON.

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #236 on: August 25, 2008, 10:56:28 AM »
KAYA NGA NAGTATANONG AKO KUNG SINO MAY BOUTIQUE PEDALS AT WALANG TUBE AMP.  Joskopo. 

So are you saying we're generalizing that when a guy with boutique pedals goes to a gig without an amp, DOESN'T OWN A TUBE AMP?  Geez you must have been drinking too much beer when you were younger. 

And why would you do that?  For me, anyone with a coffin-sized pedalboard can at least, buy a tube amp or decent amp for home or personal use.  Moreso a coffin-sized pedal board WITH BOUTIQUE PEDALS. 

Siguro si stringman dapat pakitaan natin ng konting Venn Diagram and Set theory para maintindihan niya.

Home or personal use? Nyek. Siguro sa mansion mo pwede mo itodo yung volume ng tube amp mo. o siguro naka sound proof ka at may studio. Sige na, ikaw na mayaman. Pero saming mga walang malalaking bahay at nakatira sa dikit dikit na mga apartment, madalas ang practice e laging mahina ang volume at kadalasan pa nga naka headphone. Sayang naman ang bente mil na tube amp kung di mo man lang mailagpas ng dos yung volume di ba?

At ano naman kinalaman ng pagnanakaw at pagbili ng pirata dito? Gear priority ang pinaguusapan tapos sisingitan mo ng pagnanakaw at pirata? Di ko lang maiconnect e. Ganun ba kasama ang tingin mo sa mga walang tube amp na may bowteek?

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #237 on: August 25, 2008, 11:13:51 AM »
Wow, take an hiatus from the board for a year and its still the same!

It's a good thing we have Delta, Nathan (I own a tele too!) and blues2death to pacify and cool the heads.

But if I were to answer the topic question, I am afraid I can't. I don't have a boutique pedal (label in itself) or a tube amp. It is getting quite out of hand but at least it dies down before it gets too hot, well maybe a little bit.

To each his own I say. I know 99% of you guys who watch other axe slingers look down and behind the guitar player first before he plays a string. From now on, lets watch with our ears as well.

I admit I envy everyone out there who gigs. Having an audience listen to you play is a thrill in itself (of course, getting paid is a bonus). Ultimately, what I want to say is that if you get to play for others, kudos to you and never sign a recording contract without consulting a lawyer.  :lol:

Skunky, although you said this hypothetically, I just want to say that buying pirated music or movies deserves no excuse. Do unto others......
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #238 on: August 25, 2008, 06:14:56 PM »
Totoy for president!!   :-D

All bowteek pedals and no plans for a tube amp?  Sign up here! 

soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2008, 08:13:10 PM »
di ako totoy.... batang batibot lang. heheh. totoy is cool. heheh.
strum away!

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »
Totoy = boobies
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
May tinatawag na attenuator for tube amps. Moreso, may mga 5 watt tube amps. Ako nga nagpagawa ako kay Mang Raul ng 15 watt tube amp less than 10k ang total kasama na tubes.

Instead of a Metalzone at CS-3 at Phaser at Flanger at kung ano pa, edi mag tube amp ka muna na low wattage. Hindi na talaga excuse yung volume dahil sa low wattage tube amps.

Stringman:

If you claim to get our point then what are you still going on about? It's as if "Totoy" is a cuss word or something. Get over it if that's all that you're "fighting" for. Paikot-ikot nalang rin arguements mo e, no offense. "Batman"? Mas "Wolverine" ako e. Lone wolf sort of thing. The heck are you talking about? Is that supposed to support your arguements?

Mardk:

Skunk was making an analogy. If you read between the lines, it actually makes sense.

Wala sa yaman 'yan pare. Ako hindi naman ako mayaman. Ang sinasabi lang, may tamang priorities and may paraan kahit low budget. I agree with Skunk dahil ako nagkamali narin ako sa ganito e. I bought an MI Audio Crunch Box kahit yung gitara ko at amp ko questionable pa. I've learned my lesson and I think this post can really help out people plan out their gear hording.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:35:25 AM by chromeknive »

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2008, 08:33:37 AM »

"Totoy" or no "Totoy" it doesn't give you or skunk the right to brand a persons gear when in fact you don't even know what they have. You guys are just too judgemental!

How can we brand people if we don't know what they have? Where in this thread is anyone branded wherein hindi namin alam na walang tube amp yung tao? What does the freaking topic say? Isn't it a question asking, precisely, who doesn't have a tube amp?

I actually branded myself, even.

Haha, wow, dinamay mo pa yung isang thread. So you've never heard of guitars with built-in circuits or preamps that go straight to the mixer? Or mixers that have instrument inputs?

Well, whatever dude. I'm not imposing anything on you and there really is no point in arguing with you since I really believe you don't get it or me.

If I'm a young, ignorant dog, you're an old dog who's too set in his ways. Kasabihan lang 'yan ah, wag ka ma-offend.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:36:39 AM by chromeknive »

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »
totoy..... mola? hehehehe

baaccck to topic.

anyway I don't own a real boutique pedal, all i have are just a bunch of assorted "mainstream brand" pedals.... then I get to borrow and play with CGI's pedals once in a while.

I do have my own tube amp, its really TRUE they give out a warm sound, and rounded fat punch that i like.... to my ears the highs get rounded off smoother than solid state amps. I have a marshall JCM and a hartke piggy back halfstack.

but i don't haul it to gigs, it would horribly impractical because I commute. siguro if they provided cabs id bring along the head.

OT: sa mahal ng gasolina ngayon, it would cost me five times more to drive myself to a gig than take a jeepney.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:53:37 AM by digitalcyco »
This is a forum siggy.

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
totoy..... mola? hehehehe

baaccck to topic.

anyway I don't own a real boutique pedal, all i have are just a bunch of assorted "mainstream brand" pedals.... then I get to borrow and play with CGI's pedals once in a while.

I do have my own tube amp, its really TRUE they give out a warm sound, and rounded fat punch that i like.... to my ears the highs get rounded off smoother than solid state amps. I have a marshall JCM and a hartke piggy back halfstack.

but i don't haul it to gigs, it would horribly impractical because I commute. siguro if they provided cabs id bring along the head.

OT: sa mahal ng gasolina ngayon, it would cost me five times more to drive myself to a gig than take a jeepney.

And that's totally fine! The point is you recognize that a tube amp is really the way to go, right?

I really don't know what the "fight" is all about. All of a sudden may grumblings nanaman ng "matapobre" at "elitista", "mahirap" at "mayaman".

Btw, must save up for that compressor I want Christer to build. Sigh.

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2008, 09:48:23 AM »
And that's totally fine! The point is you recognize that a tube amp is really the way to go, right?

I really don't know what the "fight" is all about. All of a sudden may grumblings nanaman ng "matapobre" at "elitista", "mahirap" at "mayaman".

Btw, must save up for that compressor I want Christer to build. Sigh.

you have a good point.

as much as i would want to own really high end gear, i think im more of a practical guitarist. i just purchase what i need, and within reasonable price range.

:lol:

OT: I haven't seen Christer in more than a month now, I heard he had been very busy.

This is a forum siggy.

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »
last OT:

i hate the "mayaman" debate hehehe

and also the "more-expensive-gear-means-better-tone" discussions, but its a great read most of the time.

I think any well setup guitar, a decent amp, and a decent player is all thats needed.

We all don't need to purchase a Ferrari to commute to work.
This is a forum siggy.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »
last OT:

i hate the "mayaman" debate hehehe

and also the "more-expensive-gear-means-better-tone" discussions, but its a great read most of the time.

I think any well setup guitar, a decent amp, and a decent player is all thats needed.

We all don't need to purchase a Ferrari to commute to work.

ot share din:

i hate "they-know-everything-close-minded-gearheads"

tipong sila lang dapat nakakaalam at ayaw mag feed ng opinion ng iba  :lol:

baka matyambahan sila ng mas magandang tone ng
mas batang gumagamit ng 505 na nakasaksak sa roto amp

hehe oa na, tyamba nga lang

naka experience na ba kayo na ang available amp sa battle of the bands yung generic brand from raon? o yung tipong ginagamit din ng show band pag fiesta?

tipong hindi mo expect na ganyan ang setup at wala kang magawa?

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »

tipong hindi mo expect na ganyan ang setup at wala kang magawa?

yeah ive played a professional (paid) gig where the organizer provided a KARAOKE for a guitar amp, and there was this one gig in San Carlos city they provided me with vocal/keyboard amp that didn't even have its own housing, naka hubad yung circuit board tapos kinabit sya through a car stereo speaker system.

This is a forum siggy.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2008, 10:27:59 AM »
yeah ive played a professional (paid) gig where the organizer provided a KARAOKE for a guitar amp, and there was this one gig in San Carlos city they provided me with vocal/keyboard amp that didn't even have its own housing, naka hubad yung circuit board tapos kinabit sya through a car stereo speaker system.

ot: hirap nyan bro parang halos ingat na ingat kang mag pick sa strings kasi baka hindi makayanan ng "amp/speakers"

wala akong masyadong alam about technicalities about sound/gear blah blah...

basta instinct lang at kung anong available sa gear  :lol:

pero marami akong natutunan dito paunti unti  :lol: