hulika

Author Topic: How many of you have boutique pedals but don't own a tube amp?  (Read 31537 times)

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How many of you have boutique pedals but doesn't own a tube amp?
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
i dont own a tube amp.. but i do own some boutique peds.. nanonotice ko rin naman yung difference, kahit sa ss amp lang.. then i dont bring amps to gigs din naman ehh.. so hanap ko nalang ngayon magandang practice amp..

Offline khuxielog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »
present..  :-D

soon i will get myself a tube amp..soon..
references: drick, barbie h., turi, deltaslim, royc, tackielarla, nuno, diver, ninjeremy, fonzy, etc.

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 01:28:40 AM »
hail the mighty delta blues!!! 210? 115?

i got the 115 tweed version 8-)
black moon creeping...

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
guilty... ipon ipon nalang muna din ako. valvestate lang yung akin kse. di naman tube yun. hehe

Offline walter123

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
mas madali dalhin ang botique pedal kesa tube amp sa tugtugan.  :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2008, 02:09:15 AM »
you have to admit, it does have something to do with the price... most if not All bowteeks are pricey because of the same reason you say so yourself: "its more about low production runs and small shop. "

True but they also generally sound better to my ear than non boutique pedals lets not forget that specially thru a good sounding tube amp.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
True but they also generally sound better to my ear than non boutique pedals lets not forget that specially thru a good sounding tube amp.

Indeed, that is the expectation. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
I just would like to add a statement from Brian Mena of Menatone:

KV: What are some of the primary factors in determining the purchase of a pedal?

BM: Price is obviously one of the main factors. Space on the pedal board can be a factor as well. How much they want to retain their original tone is also a huge factor. Let me expound a little more on the price factor. Obviously someone starting out who doesn't have a lot of money to spend is not going to drop a lot of money on a pedal. I mean if they have a $200 guitar and a $99 amp then it would be insane for them to buy a $250 boutique pedal. However, if the person has a $4,000 amp and a $3,000 guitar then it does make sense for them to invest the money in a higher end pedal. You get what you pay for and why limit your tone with a weak link in the chain when or if you can afford it. In my opinion, pedals should enhance your tone and not be a band-aid to try and fix poor quality tone.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2008, 02:37:19 PM »
nice... dami kong natutunan sa thread na ito... :-D akala ko talaga nung una if you have a crap amp, you can get nice tones if you have nice pedals... mali pala ako... nasa gitara at amp din pala just like Angus (Gibson SG and Marshall tube amp)

mga sir pwede nyo po ba ako bigyan ng karagdagang info about sa boutique pedals? alam ko po kasi mga pedals yun ay gawa ng hindi kilalang tao/ company pero sobrang ayos yung mga yun kung ginamit than the commercial standards (Boss, Digitech, Marshall, DOD, etc). is it true?  :?

isa pa, yung carl martin, artec and dr. boogey (the one made by a forumite) ba ay considered as boutique pedals?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:44:07 PM by cacophony »

Offline toybitz

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »
wala akong boutique pedal..

yun amp ko may tube kasi hybrid.  :-D
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2008, 12:57:15 AM »
im about to sell my crunch box to buy a sovtek mig50h head hehe

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2008, 01:13:27 AM »

Ayan na ang start ng GAS... for the big boys.

Pedal gas without a good amp is so totoy to me.  I mean, having a coffin-size pedal board with a rage amp is like, HUH?  Believe me, maraming guilty diyan. 

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »

Wow swerte!  San mo naman nahagilap yan Sovtek head?  Saya nyan ah!

Offline bembang_jones

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 01:50:50 AM »
good thing may tube amp sa church..at least even if i don't have good boutique pedal (yet) :lol: namamaximize ko yung ganda ng tunog niya..hahaha volume control masyado lang malakas hahaha

Offline adok

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
Pedal gas without a good amp is so totoy to me.  I mean, having a coffin-size pedal board with a rage amp is like, HUH?  Believe me, maraming guilty diyan. 

haha, sorry, i lol'd talaga :p

i have a tube amp (peavey valveking 112) and it serves my purposes naman, but i dont own any boutique pedals

Offline alvin_ching5786

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »
guys sori for this noob question but i just wanna ask...is it pointless to buy a tube amp if you're gonna use dist/od pedals anyway? rather than the od channel of the amp

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
guys sori for this noob question but i just wanna ask...is it pointless to buy a tube amp if you're gonna use dist/od pedals anyway? rather than the od channel of the amp

First off, not all tube amps have distortion, although I'd say 90% of all tube amps distort AT HIGH VOLUME.  Diming an amp gives you power tube distortion, which you may or may not like.  Bluesers swear by cranking amps, while metalheads seem to favor preamp-based distortion, if not pedals. 

A tube amp is a must for the richness of its tone, regardless if you'll use it as a clean amp or use its distortion channel (if it does have one).

PS Not all tube amps sound great.  Some SS amps sound great too.

Offline guitbox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »

not really...for example, satch uses dirt peds on his peaveys. 
it's still really a matter of preference---hence, it would be safe to say that tubes are not the end all be all neither are SSs.  your ears should be your judge. 

going back to the topic:
i have what they call a boutique pedal but am using SSs. 
My passion comes from my Jesus...

william251082

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2008, 05:56:54 AM »
Ako may bbpreamp pero walang magandang amp :cry: siguro 5 years from now my ipon na ko uli!

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 08:11:45 PM »
Ayan na ang start ng GAS... for the big boys.

But, what if you play the kind of music that requires a lot of modulation/fx pedals? (ala incubus). And you're on a limited budget? Would you go for a tube amp first or the would you buy the pedals, knowing that decent amps are usually provided at the place where you gig?

A lot of guitarists I know go for the pedals first. Not because its their personal choice, but because it's all they could get with the money they've got. Sure they could sell the pedals to get a decent tube amp, but what if most of them don't have cars to transport their amps to gigs right?

just my bentesinko sentabos.

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
kung saan ang isang tao maligaya doon sya dapat... ehehehe---

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
i'm using a 100w ss amp, nakukulangan ako sa sustain pero ok na rin yung tunog...(na try ko na rin sa tube amp yung setup ko)
takot kasi ako magtransport ng tube at medyo mahal nga, sa mga pedals naman, ok naman para sa amp ko  :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2008, 01:14:33 AM »

Would you go for a tube amp first or the would you buy the pedals, knowing that decent amps are usually provided at the place where you gig?

Define 'decent'.

Offline shkc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 04:07:19 AM »
Kung ang tanong eh, "How many of you have boutique pedals and tube amps but don't have any guitar skill?", unang una na akong magtataas ng kamay.

+100
Sama din ako dito  :-D

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »
i don't have botique pedals and tube amps but i believe i have a decent SS amp which is a vintage ROLAND CUBE 40...