hulika

Author Topic: I officially declare Zoom as the king of cheese  (Read 20546 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I officially declare Zoom as the king of cheese
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »
<oasgomez mode>

Before anything else, I just want to introduce two different situations:

1.  an average-income guitarist owns decent MIJ knockoff guitar and a Fender SS Princeton 65 amp (or any other amp of the same caliber)

2. a pro (or gearhead) who owns a great-sounding guitar (any brand and model) and a high end amp (can be anything from vintage to modern boutique)

For Guitarist #1, a Zoom G2 or G7 or a G9 is a HUGE UPGRADE.  So when guitarist#1 says his Zoom does great, I would not be surprised.

On the contrary, if Guitarist #2 says he tried putting a Zoom between his guitar and amp, I would not be surprised if he says how much tone-sucking it does to his chain.

So in other words, I cannot discount any praises for Zoom.  It's just that, when you're in a SERIOUS recording scenario, and have better tools for the job, you would tend to not like the Zoom's.

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »
I used to think my GFX-5 was da bomb. When I sold it to go analog and looking back, I now realize that yes, it does sound fizzy. I thought na back then that that setting was the closest I can get to an analog sound but right now as I was looking at 1 or our videos in a company Christmas party, 1011001 nga naririnig ko. :lol:

But no regrets here. That GFX-5 saw me through thick and thin. :-)
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 03:49:56 AM »
sorry for the noob question.. pero sir whats 10111111010101010101001 10111111010101010101001 1111111010101010101001 101111110101010101111101 quality in your signal.?
Binary to text = ¿UR¿URşª¥~ª
baka ibig nyang sabihin ay 01110011-01101000-01101001-01110100

Offline yahoo!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 03:53:13 AM »
interms ok distortions weak tlga un zoom :-D

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 06:33:55 AM »
tingin ko preferences lang yan,.
kanya kanya naman tayong tenga,. :-)

iba iba trip naten.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 07:13:30 AM »
tingin ko preferences lang yan,.
kanya kanya naman tayong tenga,. :-)

iba iba trip naten.

I think here's the argument that firemodel always says here.  He doesn't believe in kanya-kanya.  What he believes is that people pursue tone but because of limitations in budget AND experience, some folks tend to appreciate the cheaper things thinking they are just as good as the more expensive ones. Zoom is cheap, but if you invest on better pedals and a killer amp, there's exactly no reason why you should use a Zoom in your signal chain especially for dirt sounds.  The modulations have improved though.

I personally think "kanya-kanya" is true, however, we cannot discount that our own personal tastes are strongly related to each other.  Do you like the Rectifier emulations in your G2?  I presume when you own a real recto, you'll never go back to your G2.  So where does the "kanya-kanya" argument come in?  The inexperienced G2 user thought that it was excellent enough to deliver the goods, not until he switched to a real rectifier amp. 

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
"Do you like the Rectifier emulations in your G2?  I presume when you own a real recto, you'll never go back to your G2."

if the person doesn't know what they're missing, they really couldn't care any less about what a real recto sounds until they've tried one. i am not familiar with zoom products but it seems that pedals seem to be the main thing in the Phils because it is cost effective and easy to get a hold of and build a rig around. would i prefer those zooms and boss to an amp? nah - but that is me and i can make that choice. for others, it is a matter of what you can get and that seems to be alright with them as long as they can make music and have fun.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 07:51:16 AM »
I HATE Zoom products ever since I owned my 1010 then a 707. They just sounded like crap.

But two years ago I got to try a G2 and I was surprised about the sound. So the very next day I came back and bought it and it hasnt left my board ever since.

IMHO, like any other pedal out there in the market.... you just have to do a little tweaking.

Even the best sounding analog pedals sound like **** it wont sound that great unless you actually get to fiddle with it for a reasonable amount of time. Of course a digital pedal takes quite a while to get the sound you want, but I am sure you can dial up a great sound from the newly released G series from Zoom.

Kanya kanyang trip sa tone eh... your ultimate guitar tone might not even be any close to what guitar tone I have in my head.

Tone is like chicks. Yung type ko, baka d mo type.

Hehehehe
This is a forum siggy.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 08:05:32 AM »
<oasgomez mode>

Before anything else, I just want to introduce two different situations:

1.  an average-income guitarist owns decent MIJ knockoff guitar and a Fender SS Princeton 65 amp (or any other amp of the same caliber)

2. a pro (or gearhead) who owns a great-sounding guitar (any brand and model) and a high end amp (can be anything from vintage to modern boutique)

For Guitarist #1, a Zoom G2 or G7 or a G9 is a HUGE UPGRADE.  So when guitarist#1 says his Zoom does great, I would not be surprised.

On the contrary, if Guitarist #2 says he tried putting a Zoom between his guitar and amp, I would not be surprised if he says how much tone-sucking it does to his chain.

So in other words, I cannot discount any praises for Zoom.  It's just that, when you're in a SERIOUS recording scenario, and have better tools for the job, you would tend to not like the Zoom's.
otoh, you can also argue that one reason why Guitarist#2 cant get a good sound out of his zoom is because he isnt trying hard enough. because he doesnt have to. he can always just buy whatever it is the zoom is trying to emulate. why waste time tweaking? time = money. tweaking takes time. buying the amp takes money too. so in the end, since either way you'll be losing money, why not just buy the frikkin amp, wah, OD, chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, filter, bradshaw switching system and pay someone to set it all up for you? you'll at least save your sanity.

i dont like zoom btw. a company that comes up with the ultra fuzz and power drive then is stupid enough to cancel the line less than 2 years later doesnt deserve my money (or whatever little money i have). :lol:

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »
tweaking! that's the word!

oo i think sa umpisa,mejo tunog digital yung default setting ng zoom g1x(in my case)

wala bang emosyon?? oo parang ganun dating sakin,.i mean para ka lang nagppatunong ng toy gun na may sound effect,

pero i think if you just take time,you can nail that "tone" even kahit hindi ganun ka close sa nadidinig,atleast zoom can give you atleast a decent sound.

Offline sweeplikevai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »
as i have said in my previous post, that my g2 works fine with me, so far so good.. because, 1)its cheap in the market compared to an analog pedals 2) easy to bring and ready to go, id dont have to bring my super "maleta" bulky effect pedals in a gig like not more than 3 songs, imho its impractical to bring all of your effects pedals and 4x12 cabs in a gig with just 2 songs.. dba? magugulat and masisindak yung ibang bandang kasama natin sa tugtugan...   
everybody's talkin 'bout new sound,, funny but its still rock en roll to me..

Offline juan sinko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
Years back, I used to own entry level Zooms 1010, 2020, and other supposed improved models. Since I was a struggling musician then, I really didnt have enough options. But when I got enough dough to buy numerous Boss pedals and other boutique effects, I promised myself not to buy a Zoom again. Until the new G7 and G9 arrived...

They are okay. I still mix them up with other stomp boxes but basically they perform what I need to have in live settings. Bars in the Philippines have so little space to accommodate a bedspace filled of effect pedals so I really do not need to go rockstar and bring them all...  :-)

sir bel ask ko lang if kelan magkakaroon ang jb ng zoom gij na pedal yun g1 na signature ni john 5? how much if magkakaroon? thanks
JUAN SINKO UPPERS CLUB<br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako <br />Upping is not a crime

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 09:27:56 AM »
Buti nga yung Zoom n'yo binary pa. Yung Zoom 505 ko nuon, --. .-. .- -... . / ... .- / .--. .- -. --. . - / .- -. --. / - ..- -. --- --.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
Buti nga yung Zoom n'yo binary pa. Yung Zoom 505 ko nuon, --. .-. .- -... . / ... .- / .--. .- -. --. . - / .- -. --. / - ..- -. --- --.

MORSE CODE?  :-D

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 09:38:31 AM »
MORSE CODE?  :-D
OT:
haha,.e2 decode niyo = +_____+_))_++++))**%%$!@#$%^& lol   :lol: :lol:

Offline dalandan

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »
kailangan nga ng tweaking ang zoom. i used a g2 for a while to get acquainted with the different types of effects and to try the amp simulations. great modulations and decent drives (needs lots of EQing though) for the price.

comparing my direct to anmp sound to the zoom I noticed that the zoom sucked some of the tone. and i'm not that picky when it comes to the "tone sucking" problem. but if i noticed that with the zoom, well it might mean something.

just my two cents. :)

Offline wah_freak

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
I've heard a fat, very nice tone coming from First Circle's (a variety band) former guitarist, Dennis (forgot his surname, and I'm not sure if he's a fellow forumite), he was using a Washburn strat guitar into a low-end Marshall amp and much to my surprise he was just using a Zoom 1010 then. Napakamot ako ng ulo pa'no nya natimpla ng ganun ang 1010 eh I used to have one and to my ears then napaka fake sounding ng mga effects. :?

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »

matindi to sir Bart! dididatdatdididatdatdatdat...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
They're digital multi-fx so shouldn't you expect to hear "digital" in the first place? Proud G7 owner here and the sound is pretty decent to me.  :wink:

Offline Bel Sayson

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
Hi sir, I've heard about the G7s and G9s but I haven't had the time to test them. Are they really that big an improvement compared to the previous GFX series? In what ways/fields have they improved?

Patch changes are less noticeable compared to my previous AX.... and Di.... Likewise, tails of sustained notes on a number of my delay and flange settings remain unaffected when I change patches, having a bit natural release from the current patch to the next. This is important to me as the current band I'm playing with requires me to use a number of modulation adding layers to each song. I usually use 4-5 tones per song, so a seamless transition is necessary for me.

I still use other pedals to compliment these, i.e. volume pedal, boost, etc. that I need depending on the stage set-up, room acoustic, & stuff, as multi-effects still tend to sound different in various amps, guitars, and other situations. Hope this helps. :-)

Bottom line for me is that I, not the effects, have to make it work. I could have had a Mesa Boogie Mark IV in front of me with my PRS hollowedbody or '59 Strat yet don't know how to compliment a single song. I went through the motion of spending quality time with the instruments and be a musician more than a technician.  :-)

I recently had a jamming session with Jun Lopito. He sounded almost the same wherever he plugged in and in whatever guitar was available....  :-)

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »
Yes, Zoom effects can sound good live with tweaking and with the amps roaring on 11. Pag live nga, hindi nga pansin ang shortcomings ng Zoom pedals. That's established.

Recording is a different ballgame, however at halatang-halata ang loss of tone and response.

At kung hindi mo man halata ang signal degradation, or convinced kang nao-overcome mo, then good for you, mate.  :-)   I, personally, have not gotten around to really tweaking my G2.

"Bakit si guitarist X naka Zoom XXX at amp na XX sa gig na XX ang ganda ng tunog?"

Too many of these already. :lol:

Offline .bong.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
Napansin ko na pag HINDI ko gamit ang Zoom ko, mas malinaw ang tunog  :|

Ganun talaga siguro ang mga multifx, inuubos ang "highs" ng tunog mo... :?
.bong.

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »
That's why I use korg.   :-P

Offline Alchemist0725

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »
They're digital multi-fx so shouldn't you expect to hear "digital" in the first place?

+1

for me, Zoom G Series is a big improvement for their old versions. Yeah, it is still a piece of crap, tone sucker gadget, & thin sounding copy cat overdrives & cabs emulator...  :evil: but im still a proud owner of G2! :-P because i cant afford the real thing. analog is analog, digital is digital. im no tech anyway, just a bedroom guitarist.
Who you?