hulika

Author Topic: Zendrive OD Pedal Thread w/ sounclips & pics.  (Read 17601 times)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Zendrive OD Pedal Thread w/ sounclips & pics.
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »
A thread for the Zendrive....post your personal reviews, video/audio clips, and pics of this popular OD pedal.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:59:59 AM by Phil »
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Zendrive Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:18:23 AM »

Here's my review.

I had to buy it because of curiousity. I'm a big fan of the Dumble tone ...specifically Larry Carlton and Robben Ford's tone and this pedal is said to do those tones easily. For a pedal that can do those tones that cost only $179( ...if you are patient enough to wait.) that is pretty cheap for a boutique pedal. My ZD took 10 to 12 weeks . It's worth the wait.

All knobs function as what they should do except for the VOICE knob. I think this knob that sets the pedal far apart from other pedals. The voice knob IMHO is like a mid boost/treble boost.....it definitely reacts to the gain knob .  The type of gain I get is probalby the smoothest OD I've ever heard....even dimed....its still smooth. Just for kicks, I tried copying the tone I got from the pedal with just my amp only. I can get close but the Zendrive I think has more mids than what my amp is voiced for.

Zendrive and HB pickups:
I played it with a HB...for my taste, if I play with HBs the Zendrive would definitely sound awesome when it's in the bridge position. It's more sensitive and defined. At different pickup position...I would rather lower the gain and get decent OD tones....not really spectacular...but I like it with the bridge pickup.

Setup for this clip :
Gibson ES335 (Gibson Classic 57 pickups) (bridge)- Zendrive(Volume 12oclock/Tone 12 oclock/Gain 12 oclock/Voice dimed- probably one of my favorite setting)- Brownote Dlite amp (flat EQ / clean channel) 1x12closed cab GS1265

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6541607

Zendrive and single coil :
I wasn't really expecting a tone that I would like until I played it. Yes, it sounded smooth as usual and if you use the bridge pickup it actually sounds really defined, smooth, and sensitive....well like the HBs but a bit thinner. (its a single coil so what do you expect.)  I like it. Played it with the neck and neck/middle pickup.....you can get that certain classic strat neck tone but it's a bit smooth. For my taste, I like the tones I get from a strat neck pickup in the edgier side.

Setup for this clip :
strat SCN pickups(bridge/neck/neck&middle)- Zendrive(Volume 12 oclock/Tone 12 oclcock/Gain 11 o clock/Voice 2 oclock - Brownote Dlite amp (flat EQ / clean channel bright switch on) 1x12 closed cab GS1265

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6541622

BTW...I also like the size ...it's smaller than a BOSS pedal.

Summary:
If you like super smooth OD tone ....you should check out this pedal.
All in all. If I can only bring a guitar and a pedal to a jam (coz I don't gig).... I would be comfortable and confident having my guitar and the Zendrive pedal only.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:30:42 AM by Phil »

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 04:06:24 AM »
Thanks for the clips,Phil!

Again,judging by the clips,my ZDC really sounds close(na) to the real thing.(minus the higher gain,of course) Malapit na malapit talaga. 8-)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:57:03 AM by kawayan_strat »

Offline lawrence

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
i love the tone brother. gusto ko response nia sa HB pickups. Ganda nung tone sa 335:) litaw na litaw. congrats sa bagong toy.:)

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
Thanks for the clips,Phil!

Again,judging by the clips,my ZDC really sounds close(na) to the real thing.(minus the higher gain,of course) Malapit na malapit talaga. 8-)

Yup! konting kontina lang, Mark! Can hardly wait to gt my ZDC back with the requested tweaks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:14:47 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
It's really one of the "must have" pedals out in the market. Zendrives can be really smooth and timid but can also be aggressive straight out rock n roll too! Lots of great tones you can get from a pedal but definitely NO Metal tones in it... :-) It stacks nicely with my Tim and Klon,  great boost for my CC2's FuzzFoot. I set mine at Gain 1-1:30 Tone 11:00 Voice 2:00 to get that medium gain OD taste. Very responsive to your pick attack.

I'll post pics later... :-)
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
Nabuhay nanaman gas ko for this  :-P Ang ganda ng tone, sir phil! I LIKEEE  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
It's really one of the "must have" pedals out in the market. Zendrives can be really smooth and timid but can also be aggressive straight out rock n roll too! Lots of great tones you can get from a pedal but definitely NO Metal tones in it... :-) It stacks nicely with my Tim and Klon,  great boost for my CC2's FuzzFoot. I set mine at Gain 1-1:30 Tone 11:00 Voice 2:00 to get that medium gain OD taste. Very responsive to your pick attack.

I'll post pics later... :-)

uy dumating na pala :-D

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »
Yup! konting kontina lang, Mark! Can hardly wait to gt my ZDC back with the requested tweaks!
Actually the latest version which i did on your ZDC is almost the same as Phil's clips. Sana makasama ako sa A/B para marinig ko in person si Zendrive.

BTW,your Pedals are ready na. :-D

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:25:55 PM »
uy dumating na pala :-D

yup, mga last month pa bro!

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »

Offline eugene3ph

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:41:02 AM »
great clips phil...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 03:32:50 AM »
yup, mga last month pa bro!
hey leech Ian told me your in the list for an Ethos....... judging by the clips, I think its worth the price..... review and clips naman when you get it.

great clips phil...
thanks eugene  :-D

does this sound like a zen or dtype amp?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=720342&songID=6544054

...it has some characteristics...lemme wait till I get home and listen using decent monitors.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:12:52 AM by Phil »

Offline eugene3ph

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 04:15:20 AM »
zendrive use here and i find the eternity (lovepedal) a combination with it...

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »

hey leech Ian told me your in the list for an Ethos....... judging by the clips, I think its worth the price..... review and clips naman when you get it.

Sure thing Phil! It's been 8 months already ang still havent recieved the "your ethos is ready for shipping" email yet. :-(

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:28 AM »
Sure thing Phil! It's been 8 months already ang still havent recieved the "your ethos is ready for shipping" email yet. :-(
8 months?  madapaker and tagal !!! did you get the classic or TLE ? 
....someone is selling one for $380 at gearpage complete with everything....in case your interested.

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »
....someone is selling one for $380 at gearpage complete with everything....in case your interested.

Mura yan Phil! I got the TLE, PM mo sakin yun contacts nung seller, di ako maka pasok ng emporium eh... :x

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:30 AM »
Syet! Ganda ng tunog! Obese na obese! MI LYKES!!!  :-D

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »

Vhunter, thats sound great. Medyo mataba lang ang dynamics nya sa clips ni Phil. Pero ayos din!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:15:06 AM by stratman1 »

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »

He's the same guy who sold me the Zendrive 2. Great guy, Mr. Albert Chung. Search the seller albuht813 on ebay.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 12:22:49 PM »
Darn, that Zendrive and Ethos sounds great!  Wala na akong pambili.  Naubos na sa trip to Manila...  :-(

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »

...a very obvious difference is when you hit the bass strings (E/A/D),  it  doesn't have that "chirp" characteristic ..... you can also get that chirp when you do pull offs especially when using the G and B string .

It's pretty thick sounding though which is nice and sweet sounding.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
i'm not really fond of its tone but it cuts through the mix really well.. :wink:

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
Nice tone Phil.  Nice phrasing too.  I can hear some Larry Carlton in you.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »
Wow, just got the email today. I emailed him at the beginning of April. No wonder there's a last minute Zendrive 'panic selling' on ebay.