hulika

Author Topic: The PRS Thread...  (Read 225691 times)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The PRS Thread...
« Reply #2975 on: February 09, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
^^^Oh, wow! What a looker and with vitals of 57/08s to boot! Must sound awesome!

Belated congrats!  :-D

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2976 on: February 12, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »
Thanks man, the rosewood neck is fun to play.

The pickups deliver as expected! This may get 11 gauge strings soon as I plan to tune it a whole step down, however the standard tuning plays like a butter with 10s like I don't want to mess with it.
N4 | R7bb | R8 |  R9  | SC58 | MC58 | MC594 | ME2

Online Jellybean

« Reply #2977 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
Need your advice PRS players. I'm planning to buy my first PRS, it will be a SE model (Custom 22)
My concern is the neck profile. I have 2 strats with C profile necks and I have played Epiphone LPs and ES type guitars before and I prefer the Fender necks better.
Would you say the wide thin PRS necks are closer to a C shape Fender neck or Gibson type guitars?

Online vantonilin

« Reply #2978 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
I have new found respect for PRS guitars after getting my first one (hopefully not my last) last week. :)

I think I have an HFS pickup on the bridge (and loving it!!!). Could you guys help me out, as to which after market pickup brand and model would have the same voicing as an HFS? A BKP or SD perhaps? I have another guitar that I'd like to sound like my PRS. hehehe
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:06:29 AM by vantonilin »

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2979 on: February 22, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
I have new found respect for PRS guitars after getting my first one (hopefully not my last) last week. :)

I think I have an HFS pickup on the bridge (and loving it!!!). Could you guys help me out, as to which after market pickup brand and model would have the same voicing as an HFS? A BKP or SD perhaps? I have another guitar that I'd like to sound like my PRS. hehehe

HFS bridge pups are on the high gain category, thanks to its ceramic magnets, with DC Resistance of 15 kΩ. Had it on a CU24 and was able to buy a used one for one of my McCarty's. More like a Tremonti or \m/ pickups, best served with heaps of gain and distortion.

Compared to other brands, I would say BKP Nailbomb and Painkiller with ceramic pups on bridge would be comparable. However you may need to consider to which guitar you're dropping 'em off. But to get a similar tone, you may consider looking for a used HFS over the'bay or reverb.

As for Duncans, I had used a few, JB, Distortion and Black Winter, the latter's a better match imho.

Btw, what PRS you got there, HFS are not available on later core models anymore. Lucky you got one with those.
N4 | R7bb | R8 |  R9  | SC58 | MC58 | MC594 | ME2

Online vantonilin

« Reply #2980 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
Compared to other brands, I would say BKP Nailbomb and Painkiller with ceramic pups on bridge would be comparable. However you may need to consider to which guitar you're dropping 'em off. But to get a similar tone, you may consider looking for a used HFS over the'bay or reverb.

Btw, what PRS you got there, HFS are not available on later core models anymore. Lucky you got one with those.

I'm looking at Ceramic Nailbombs at the moment. Unfortunately, I don't see any on the used market.

May be foolish but I plan on installing on a Tokai LP. I never appreciated how pickups contribute to the overall sound of a guitar, but after comparing an HFS and a Burstbucker 3 on the bridge I just had to do something with my LP. hahaha The difference may be coming from the overall build of PRS itself but I've gotta try to get the LP as close as possible. Loved how the HFS had a tighter bottom and overall higher output.

I got a used 2003 CE24. Overall I'm impressed with the build and now thinking of selling one guitar to get a Custom 24. :)