hulika

Author Topic: METRONOME/CLICK TRACK thread  (Read 36722 times)

Offline Harpoon

• Netizen Level
Re: Metronomes/Click tracks on live performances: yes or no?
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2010, 01:02:41 AM »
sometimes. I just use it as tempo reference for new songs that we play or you could leave it on and then check how much you sped up or slowed down.

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
i use a metronome for live gigs for consistency. and it helps me to count off a song

Offline shaun_kuyukot

« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »
Click tracks are awesome and are a big help. If you can have one why not. My band- Segatron plays samples in our live performances. I hook up our band's laptop to a mixer and listen to the track. We play over it. It helps with the consistency and the tempo.

I did discover two problems in playing with a track.
1. If your band mates are not connected (listening though earphones or the monitors are not playing it loud enough) to the track they still tend to play faster when the music dynamics gets high, and/or slow down when it goes down. Mas maganda kung lahat kayo naka connect or naririnig ung click track or metronome.

2. You need to hear the click track more than you hear the band. I wear isolation muffs over my in-ear earphones. The problem here is hassle. You can't hear outside sh*t when the band starts playing. This becomes a problem when you guys need to communicate.

3. You need equipment. To have equipment you need money. Un lang.  :-D

So far un lang naisip ko.
Insights anyone?
April now and forever.

Offline tipsyboy

« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »
I think it's to use metronomes as a point of reference for the actual tempo of a song, when a drummer has to count a song off. In live performances, it's real easy to get the tempos mixed up so it's nice to know what the actual tempo should be. I do think that music shouldn't be mechanical and fixed, and that it should breathe and adapt and be organic, but at the same time, differing too far from the original tempo of a song can be horrible.

Offline gax

• Veteran Member
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
I'm going to start using one... have a tendency to get all hyped and play a bit faster...  :oops:

Found a nice one for the itouch. Under "free drum lessons"
Flying Ipis is on Facebook...and on twitter gaki_girl
www.gamehopper.com.ph
www.flyingipis.tk

Offline blacktooth

« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
I have a click tracks on my iPOD but sad to say, I can't use it in gig / practice just because i only got a low volumed ear phones.

but for individual practice, it's a HUGE help.

Offline kssael

« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »
Matt Grenier and Adam Gray use metronomes/click tracks both in the studio and live; hence, they sound just like in the studio live, even if you strip the external audio from one of their live performances and overlay the video with the respective original studio track.

Other drummers don't use metronomes/click tracks but ear monitors (e.g. Mike Portnoy, Blake Richardson) where they can hear each other on stage; since they tend to improvise in some parts of their songs live.

I guess it's a matter of genre or live preference when to use metronomes/click tracks.
-kssael

Offline underprog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2010, 02:09:54 AM »
sa practice lang ako gumagamit ng metronome eh... pero nagbibilang ba kayo habang nag drums? trinatry ko kasi nawawala ako eh, bale memorized ko lang yung beat na kinocover ko. lalo na pag odd time.
we created god?

Offline killikillers

• Philmusicus Addictus
gusto ko matuto gumamit ng metronome

may alam po ba kayong mobile application na metronome? meron ako nakikita pero hindi ganon ka ganda eh

kung pwedeng gawing metronome ung cellphone hindi nalng siguro ako bibili ng metro. pa help po hanap ng app

Offline zachki

Greetings to Pinoy Drums...
pa help po sa mga masters na marunong mag metronome..
kasi po i want to practice with metronome to train maintain my consistency and timing...

problem is i don't even know what it looks like and how to use it properly

please teach us newbies how to properly train with metronome...

thanks po sa lahat ng magpopost...

thanks...

Offline vhinming

• Philmusicus Addictus
How to use a metronome

A metronome is a practice tool that produces a steady pulse (or beat) to help musicians play rhythms accurately. The pulses are measured in beats-per-minute (BPM). Most metronomes are capable of playing beats from 35 to 250 BPM. Common uses of the metronome are helping you to maintain an established tempo while practicing, and learning difficult passages.

The first step in metronome use is to understand time signatures. Time signatures are found at the beginning of a musical piece, after the clef and the key signature. Time signatures (also called meter signatures) consist of two numbers. The top number indicates the number of beats in a measure, while the bottom number corresponds to the value of the beat. Most often, you will see 2, 3, 4 or 6 beats per measure. Beats are commonly half notes (the bottom number of the meter signature is “2”) or quarter notes (“4”) (the bottom number of the meter signature is “4”).

Here are a few common examples:

4/4: 4 quarter beats per measure (common time)

3/4: 3 quarter beats per measure

2/2: 2 half notes per measure (cut time)

Less easily understood time signatures are those with dotted quarters as the beat (compound time):

6/8: 2 dotted quarters per measure.

9/8: 3 dotted quarters per measure.

NOTE: even though this time signature reads 6 eighth notes per measure, this time signature usually refers to two beats per measure, where each beat is a dotted quarter, consisting of 3 eighth notes.

In western music (whether pop or jazz or classical or other) you either divide the beat into 2 parts (simple time signatures) or 3 (compound time signatures). The beat thus will either be a quarter, half or eighth note (for simple time signatures) or a dotted quarter or dotted half in compound time signatures. Simple time signatures are straightforward to read: 2/4 (two quarters per measure), 2/2 (two half notes per measure), etc.

Compound time signatures (6/8, 9/8, 6/4, etc.) actually tell you the division of the beat because we cannot express dotted values with a number. When the top number is greater than 3 and is divisible by 3 (6, 9, 12), you have to divide that number by 3 to get the actual number of beats per measure. E.g. 6/8: 2 beats per measure (6:3=2), and the beat is valued at a dotted quarter. 6/4: two dotted halves per measure.

If the music is very slow, then the composer may say something like "slow 8ths". In this case, you would indeed think of the 8th as the beat, but this you will see only at very slow tempi. In general, thinking of the 8th as the beat in compound time (especially at medium and fast tempi) will make the music sound choppy, and again, is simply an erroneous reading of the time signature.

Odd time signatures also exist in music:

5/4: 5 quarters per measure

7/8: 7 eighths per measure

Now that you understand the meter signature, determine the value of the beat and its appropriate tempo for the piece you are learning. For example, your desired tempo might be quarter note=120. (For more information, see the article on tempo markings.) This is quite brisk, and you may not notice it if you sway from it (rush=get faster unintentionally, drag=get slower unintentionally). Having the metronome give you the accurate pulses will help you stay on track.

At other times, most of a piece is easy to play except for a few measures. When faced with a challenging passage, practice the problem area at a slow tempo that allows you to play all the notes without mistakes (at quarter= 78, for example). Then, click the metronome up a few notches and try the passage at the faster tempo. If you can execute the passage 5 times in a row without any mistakes, you can click the metronome up a few notches again. Repeat this process until you reach the target tempo.

read MORE

Also Try PSP METRONOME

well digital metronome has many kinds of styles

these are some of them , just for you to figure it out  :wink:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:58:03 AM by vhinming »
Only One Life so Soon it will Pass,Only Whats Done For Christ Will Last.

Drum Items? :wink: Click Here!

Offline pedaldeaf3

• Philmusicus Addictus
kasi po i want to practice with metronome to train maintain my consistency and timing...

thanks...

PM mo ko... Help kita sa PC version ng metronome...
God is the mighty "RAK" of my salvation "EN" he want's me to "ROL" forward & follow him...

Offline tyrande101

• Veteran Member

thanks...

sir.. kung mag papraktis po kayo using metronome punta na lang po kayo dito..
http://www.metronomeonline.com/

tapos gawin niyo po yung exercise na ginagawa ko at ginagawa din ni John Petrucci sa guitar nya.

pili po kayo ng tamang bpm o tamang bilis sa metronome tapos ganito gawin niyo..

R = Right stroke
L = Left stroke
tik tok tik tok = ito ung metronome
1 2 3 4 #... = number of counts

4 beat po
tik                       tok                                   tik                       tok
1                          2                                     1                         2
R                          L                                     R                         L

8 beat po
tik                       tok                                   tik                       tok
1           2             3                4                    1           2            3            4
R           L             R                 L                   R           L             R            L 

16 beat po
1     2      3     4     5         6        7        8        1     2     3     4    5     6     7     8
R     L      R     L     R         L        R         L        R     L     R     L    R     L     R     L

32 beat po
tik                                tok                              tik                                tok
1  2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16  1  2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 11 12 13 14 15 16
R  L   R   L   R   L   R   L    R  L   R   L   R   L  R   L   R  L   R   L   R   L   R   L   R    L   R   L   R  L   R   L

ang metronome po jaan eh hindi nagbabago.. nagkataon lang na sa bandang 32 eh humaba kasi 16 stroke in tik-toks un.. kung papansinin niyo po, hindi nagbabago ang metronome pero nag didivide-divide ang number of counts sa metronome, jaan po bibilis ang kamay niyo.. mag start muna po kayo sa 4 beat hanggang 16 beat, kung kaya niyo pa, 32 beat..

This is Speed Test Exercise for you to know how fast your hands are
*Pumunta sa http://www.metronomeonline.com/
*Pumili ng tamang bilis, mas maganda kung mag start muna ng mabagal sa metronome
*pwedeng irecord ang tamang bilis para anytime anywhere handy dandy ang metronome.
*mag start muna sa 4 beat
*kapag na bored na, jump to 8 beat, kapag na bored na jump to 16 beat, kapag kaya pa, jump to 32 beat
*Do this everyday or threat this like a warm up before playing
*If the purpose is for practice, do this non-stop within 10-15mins
(tingnan ko lang kung hindi lumake biceps niyo jan) ahahaha!

Hope this post helps.. todo effort ako ^_^ hahahaha!
a

Offline cheezemonster08

• Veteran Member
may alam ba kayo na metronome app for ipod classic?6th gen sya wala kasi akong mahanap na matino sa net
baka mayroon kayo alam :)
salamat!

Offline zwischenzug

Query about metronome
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
Tanong ko lang po, ano po ba yung bang-for-buck na metronome na available locally yung may memory function po sana para maconfigure ko yung iba't-ibang tempo for different songs at dinig kahit sa live gig kapag naka-headphone?  Disabled pala yung search function kaya di ko alam kung may existing thread na for this.

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Query about metronome
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
Welcome to Pinoydrums forum sir zwischenzug!

Mahirap po ata makahanap nyang "Bang-for-buck" na may memory function pa. I believe yung klase ng hinahanap mong metronome eh magastos talaga. Boss DB-80 Dr.Beat Metronome ang kadalasang nakikita kong gamit ng mga working musicians. Mahirap makahanap nun dito locally, pero pwede ka naman mag pa-special order through sir wireme or sir vincher. Pm mo lang sila.
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline dreddurius

• Veteran Member
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
Agree @musiciannurse28.

I can't recommend a brand but what I can do is give a few factors to consider bago ka bumili:

1.) Gagamitin din mo sya for gigs, i-consider mo na rin yung portability. Nakakainis talaga yung andami mo na ngang bitbit tapos maghahanap ka pa ng mesa para ilagay ang metronome mo.

2.) Since habol mo din yung maririnig mo sya during a live gig, what you're after for is yung headphones that can isolate yung ambient noise, tho may trade-off ito. Is keeping time more important than hearing the bigger picture? Or is it the other way around?

Alternatives:

1.) Kung may iPod touch / iPhone ka you can download Steinway's metronome app. Gibson also has apps. You can do a google search. Wala syang memory function pero meron syang tap function (tap the pad according sa basic tempo then click on Start para magsimula na ang tempo, it will autmatically round off s anearest bpm nya).

2.) Kung may Symbian phone ka, you can also google for apps. Again, walang memory function (yata).

Good luck.
Hi.

Offline food.vulture

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2011, 01:09:47 AM »
i record on mp3 a tempo of the song..
>>let's say, song # 1 (tempo 120bpm).. i record around 400 bars of 120 bpm, i use fruity loops..
>>then upload on my iPod..
>>then do again for song # 2 (tempo 200 bpm - metal yeah! 8-))
>>and so forth..
>>put in a playlist on my iPod, works like memory..

Offline zwischenzug

Re: METRONOME/CLICK TRACK thread
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
Thanks po sa lahat ng replies. Actually po, gamitin ko siya for practice and sa live gig (church setting, etc.), gusto ko lang kasi na maimprove ko sarili in keeping time. Madalas kasi nawawala ako sa time lalo na kung kasarapan ng tugtog at upbeat yung tempo.  Naisip ko na rin yung magrecord ng mp3 for different tempo, ayun fruity loops pala pede gamitin, thanks for the suggestion.

Offline shinobi_hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
metronomes are the drummers best friends.
its been mine since i started again last year.
but a better question is where do you top-off on the metronome.
and doing what rudiment.
i top off at 87bpm doin diddlediddles.
haha
"Put the south in your mouth."

Offline malcomx

• Netizen Level
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »
mga sir , baka meron java apps ng metronome or drum machine ... tnx.. =)
 baka pede makishare .. here is my email add ... emailmalcom@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:35:25 AM by malcomx »

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2011, 02:52:40 AM »
Alternatives:

1.) Kung may iPod touch / iPhone ka you can download Steinway's metronome app. Gibson also has apps. You can do a google search. Wala syang memory function pero meron syang tap function (tap the pad according sa basic tempo then click on Start para magsimula na ang tempo, it will autmatically round off sa nearest bpm nya).

Good luck.

nice! been looking for an iphone/itouch metronome app na ok gamitin. thanks for this man! :wink:

Offline malcomx

• Netizen Level
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2011, 05:16:22 AM »
nice! been looking for an iphone/itouch metronome app na ok gamitin. thanks for this man! :wink:

sayang.. java based lang ung cp ko... pero thanks .. future reference ko nlng.. :-D

Offline aDz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: mga seniors, tips naman sa metro
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »
Ang OA ng reaction ko haha!

Anyways, sa lahat ng wala pang metronome pero may mp3 player, click niyo ito > http://www.reztronics.com/prod01.htm. Meron yan mp3s mula 65 bpm hanggang 250 bpm.

Salamat sir Gep Cheers!  :-D

Offline thinwolfy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »

Sa recordings gumagamit ako ng clicks pero sa live gigs hindi... 
"Through destruction we create" - Sickpig