hulika

Author Topic: QUALITY vs COST  (Read 28936 times)

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: QUALITY vs COST
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2009, 07:47:55 AM »

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
I will agree to the studio challenge if:
1. There is no audio and video for the main reason that it will not capture the important elements that define good sounding equipment.
2. No BAMF blind test rules but rather invite 10 known guitarist to test my equipment against yours.  Then you can video their review of the equipment.

I knew it. Your conditions are unacceptable because the parameters are under your control. No blind test? No audio or video? Then whatever the "known guitarists" will say will be baseless. And we are not talking about my gear. Just yours. Why? Because I don't claim my gear as "expensive" AND at the same time bashing others.

And most of all - IT HAS TO BE YOU THAT PLAYS. You claim it makes certain tones. You have to make it come out. Because when the "known guitarists" will play, they will sound like them NOT like you.

You are what we call in the gaming parlance - EPIC FAIL
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
I knew it. Your conditions are unacceptable because the parameters are under your control. No blind test? No audio or video? Then whatever the "known guitarists" will say will be baseless. And we are not talking about my gear. Just yours. Why? Because I don't claim my gear as "expensive" AND at the same time bashing others.

And most of all - IT HAS TO BE YOU THAT PLAYS. You claim it makes certain tones. You have to make it come out. Because when the "known guitarists" will play, they will sound like them NOT like you.

You are what we call in the gaming parlance - EPIC FAIL

Bro, game na yan. let's make it 7 hours. I know a studio in c5. My brother knows the owner. We can lock out a whole afternoon with two weeks prior notice.

Or in Ortigas on a Sunday. Besides, he's already there. He might as well play. And this is going to be a very professional gear testing.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »
whatever your suhrs and bakers sound, it will never sound better than my guitar, (not stock).

why? my ears says so. and i satisfy my ears. unless it has the tone that i like, which will satisfy me.

so, in my book, the best sounding guitars are the ones that i buy. because its the one that satisfied me, the ones that made my hands comfy, the ones that captured my tone and blah blah most of all its within my budget.

i can buy a more expensive gear like 3-4 times more expensive, yes i can, but if i get satisfied with a cheaper alternative, ill get that alternative.

some says suhrs and bakers are the best... maybe because:
1. they bought that guitar, IT SATISFIED THEIR EARS. just like my principle. its nice.
or
2. jinujustify lang ung tone > everything kasi nga mahal. ahahaha!!

anyway in my experience, pag ako nakarinig ng gitara that satisfies my tone, my ears, and its cheaper, i think "shet sana un nalang binili ko, nainvest ko pa sa iba sana ung money" and yes, i can buy the expensive ones. but im not up to the name and all for bragging rights. i want a cheap gear/guitar that will satisfy my ears. if it satisfies my ears, it fulfills me and makes me happy even though other people says that their guitars are  billion times more expensive. in the end, what i pick is what i want and what i want satisfies me, no matter how cheap.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »
Bro, game na yan. let's make it 7 hours. I know a studio in c5. My brother knows the owner. We can lock out a whole afternoon with two weeks prior notice.

Or in Ortigas on a Sunday. Besides, he's already there. He might as well play. And this is going to be a very professional gear testing.

that sucks.... I always have a hangover every sunday.... :|
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2009, 11:18:11 AM »
whatever your suhrs and bakers sound, it will never sound better than my guitar, (not stock).

why? my ears says so. and i satisfy my ears. unless it has the tone that i like, which will satisfy me.

so, in my book, the best sounding guitars are the ones that i buy. because its the one that satisfied me, the ones that made my hands comfy, the ones that captured my tone and blah blah most of all its within my budget.

i can buy a more expensive gear like 3-4 times more expensive, yes i can, but if i get satisfied with a cheaper alternative, ill get that alternative.

some says suhrs and bakers are the best... maybe because:
1. they bought that guitar, IT SATISFIED THEIR EARS. just like my principle. its nice.
or
2. jinujustify lang ung tone > everything kasi nga mahal. ahahaha!!

anyway in my experience, pag ako nakarinig ng gitara that satisfies my tone, my ears, and its cheaper, i think "shet sana un nalang binili ko, nainvest ko pa sa iba sana ung money" and yes, i can buy the expensive ones. but im not up to the name and all for bragging rights. i want a cheap gear/guitar that will satisfy my ears. if it satisfies my ears, it fulfills me and makes me happy even though other people says that their guitars are  billion times more expensive. in the end, what i pick is what i want and what i want satisfies me, no matter how cheap.

That's great to hear. Could you kindly share the specs of your guitar and roughly how much you spent? Also, how is the reliability? How long have you had the axe? Any problems?

Thanks!

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »
that sucks.... I always have a hangover every sunday.... :|

Leech magpakita ka naman!  :-)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
I nominate BAMF to set up the blind test rules. So, are you really up to the challenge or will just hide behind your keyboard again?

Proposal already posted here :

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,141798.60.html

I once said before too that the "hiyaw" test cannot be captured by a microphone, except maybe if its a stereo-head dummy mike and you'll re-listen with stereo cans.

But the grading sheets will be a sort of a record. Just like the previous tone party. Blind test dapat para the name on the headstock will not affect perception.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
If the Baker can be picked out from 10 Les Paul and Heavy wood guitars in a blind test. then I shall praise its name and sing to its glory all the days of my life. Amen. Yes, even if it's picked out only by the owner,but better if it can be picked out by a set of 10 guitarists and recording engineers, or more as the best effin sounding heavy wood guitar in the country.

Then let's repeat for strats and for shredders. Wala akong entry for shredders, but I have entries for both heavy woods and strats.

Time is ripe. Let's put things to rest.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
@rolexm
its a prs se custom made in korea. yes its not even US prs but yeah im happy with it, so much. replaced pups into paf joe neck, and steves special bridge. stock tuners work for me, but i replaced it with sperzels. take note ako lang naginstall nun, binutasan ko gamit ng screwdriver. strings used, ghs boomers 10.

its mahogany back maple top with maple veneer, mahogany neck rosewood fretboard. 25 inch scale, 22 frets (i love waaarm sound pag neck pup ang gamit)

i know most have more expensive guitars, yeah. but i love this. loooong sustain, sings very well and has perfect intonation across the fretboard (based on my chromatic tuner)

problems with this? none. i just set it up on my own, my own set up.

this satisfies me. if ever someone will bash me for having a korean guitar, ok lang.. let me hear ur guitar. it may or may not satisfy me, but im sure the owner has got lotsa praises for his own axe, kaya nya nga binili un e. it may sound better than my guitar in his books, but my guitar sounds better for me.

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
@rolexm
its a prs se custom made in korea. yes its not even US prs but yeah im happy with it, so much. replaced pups into paf joe neck, and steves special bridge. stock tuners work for me, but i replaced it with sperzels. take note ako lang naginstall nun, binutasan ko gamit ng screwdriver. strings used, ghs boomers 10.

its mahogany back maple top with maple veneer, mahogany neck rosewood fretboard. 25 inch scale, 22 frets (i love waaarm sound pag neck pup ang gamit)

i know most have more expensive guitars, yeah. but i love this. loooong sustain, sings very well and has perfect intonation across the fretboard (based on my chromatic tuner)

this satisfies me. if ever someone will bash me for having a korean guitar, ok lang.. let me hear ur guitar. it may or may not satisfy me, but im sure the owner has got lotsa praises for his own axe, kaya nya nga binili un e. it may sound better than my guitar in his books, but my guitar sounds better for me.

Sweet.  :-) Cost range?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
There's nothing embarassing there dude. My Epiphone LP MIK ended my quest for LP's. I'm not saying there are no better-sounding LP's out there, it's just that MY quest has ended.

@rolexm

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
There's nothing embarassing there dude. My Epiphone LP MIK ended my quest for LP's. I'm not saying there are no better-sounding LP's out there, it's just that MY quest has ended.

Akin nga RJ custom shop lang eh. However, no stock parts. Rolling bridge, bone nut, trim locking tuners, EMG 81-85. Black guitar with pearl bindings.. all GOLD hardware. Hahaha.

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
bring it on!!  nood kami :-D pahinging popcorn pao!

cge kuha lang.

Is the studio the same place where the house of minis is located?

itchybrain

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »
I will agree to the studio challenge if:
1. There is no audio and video for the main reason that it will not capture the important elements that define good sounding equipment.
2. No BAMF blind test rules but rather invite 10 known guitarist to test my equipment against yours.  Then you can video their review of the equipment.

Nope. I CAN. I'm into video production.  Sagot ko video coverage. \m/

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »
yun oh!  :lol:

parang laban ni Pacman, dami mag aabang  :lol:

Offline IncX

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »
yun oh!  :lol:

parang laban ni Pacman, dami mag aabang  :lol:

pero as usual, di na naman matutuloy 'to dahil sobrang daming "superstitious" conditions yung isa.

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
I would include a fourth -- people who cannot hear and unfortunately they like to admit that they play thru crappy amps.

I would include a fourth -- people who cannot hear and unfortunately they like to admit that they play thru crappy amps.

hey FATSO, what I'm tone deaf now? Talk is cheap! I challenge you to a guitar duel w/ my 13 yr old daughter. she'll be using a "cheesy" Pink Hello Kitty Strat & a "crappy" Marshall Lead 12. Mind ya... she can play Canon Rock... Blindfolded.

Now if you can beat her, then you've earn the right to challenge my 15 yr old son... w/c btw plays john pettrucci solos... while his right hand is texting his GF!

Let say you can "cream" both of my kids... then, & only then you are worthy to face me into a "Crossroads" Duel.  Go bring your US$5k Baker & your Php200k Suhr, your Matchlees & Soldano Amps, & your hi-end boutique pedals for all i care... I'll just be borrowing the blind guitarist's Raon Strat & his crappy Karaoke Amp.

No closed door sessions. Open to the public. Now if you "chickened out" & need ten "known guitarist" to fight your battle... Bring it on!!! I'll just tag along 2 guys... the blind guitarist fm MRT & Minyong.  

LETS GET IT ON FATSO!!!

You can even sell Instant Noodles for this event if you wanna make extra bucks... Bring in the sponsors! :-D :-D :-D

Oh i forgot... you're loaded. Right?

Loaded w/ problems!

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
^ Ad hominem at its finest.
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline nanabols

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
They should also test for durability.

See which guitar breaks over the other guy's head first.  :evil:

Three swings each. They're welcome to use their amps too. :-D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:50:38 PM by nanabols »

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »
haha ang lupit mo jimi!  :lol:

pero as usual, di na naman matutuloy 'to dahil sobrang daming "superstitious" conditions yung isa.

sa totoo lang ang gulo ng situation...
unbias ako, dapat magkaalaman na... para matigil na, pero dapat talaga may "professionalism" walang pikunan

:mrgreen:

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
now im watching!  :lol:

let's bring the cool to everyone shall we?  :-D
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »
think positib! walang aayaw! think positib! walang aayaw

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2009, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »
Sir BAMF, tumpak na tumpak ka. exactly. un na un ang ibig ko sabihin.

number 2, as the tone that i love is generated by my brain, and as the tone that comes from my guitar through my amp that is being heard by my ears that travels to my brain and my brain tells me "thats your tone, thats what you love, thats you" ill never buy another guitar.

i may buy an even more expensive one, but thats just for "collection" purposes.
NAHH. hindi praktikal. save ko nalang ang pera. better invest sa iba.

cost range? sa jb my price ung se custom 22.. plus sperzels from blue jem (luxury nalang to hindi necessary) tapos paf joe (from isang forumer, brand new, mura lang benta) and steves special (from bluejem).

btw i chose my pickups, to really define my tone. and i even reversed my steves special. yes, the dimarzio site was correct, one side is brighter, and the other one is warmer. i chose the warmer one coz its fatter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:15:08 AM by pitongjerome »