hulika

Author Topic: What matters more? where its made? or who made them?  (Read 8961 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: What matters more? where its made? or who made them?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 07:37:15 AM »
Topic: What matters more? where its made? or who made them?

who uses them..

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
who uses them..

bingo! umiiyak na siguro lynyrd skynyrd dahil may Gibson na sa China. :lol:

What would you go for?

A Gibson Lp made in China by Americans?

or

A Gibson Lp made in th U.S.A by Chinese folks?

:-)

para sa akin, if the guitars are good in both cases, who cares? (probably collectors and re-sellers do...and so do guitarists who need justification for their gear.) i don't. :-D
Luke 1:37; Mark 9:23

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
LP made in america by chinese men..
may kasamang feng sui yun

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
LP made in america by chinese men..
may kasamang feng sui yun

lol...basta ba swelte ang dala e!
Luke 1:37; Mark 9:23

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 07:57:34 AM »
lol...basta ba swelte ang dala e!

i say tone is in the fingers, yun swerte dala  :-D

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:07 AM »
What matters more? where its made? or who made them?

doesn't matter, both can produce good and crap quality guitars. even custom guitars COULD sound crap.

its your job to pick out the best for you, the one that will satisfy you.. if its expensive or cheap, doesn't matter.. if it sounds good for you, go for it.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 08:45:33 AM »

is original matters more than local?  :-D
This is a forum siggy.

Offline diaboliche

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
is original matters more than local?  grin

I remembered this thread a few months back. I think it was locked. You know.  :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:45 AM »
Zach, same question goes for you...  Does it matter that Zildjian moved their factory to the US and left the Istanbul facility?  Does it matter that Ludwigs are being made in China now?  Does it matter that a snare drum has those coveted tube lugs but the metal is imported from Asia?

To quote firemodel55:  "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

Offline kragz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »
as far as i know, god made man and woman. everything else is made in china.  :lol:

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
hindi ba hypothetical yung sa OP?

brings to mind the Fender Mexico scenario: Mexican strats were made by Mexicans in Mexico, Am strats were made in Mexicans in US.  :lol:

my short answer: if the company is legit, i'd say"who made them" is more important. Madami nang made in China ngayon, including Bogners Alchemists, Egnater Rebels/Renegades, ESP LTD's, North Face Goretex Jackets and Nikon lenses. Anything made in the States nowadays is just too frikkin expensive.

I'll have to agree wt this... after working in the local music retail industry for more than 12 years... a lot has changed.... yun nga basta legit yung company it doesn't matter to me (sa akin lang naman), for all we know the same OEM plants that make copies of original products are the same plants these fortune 500 companies hire to make their original products. :wink:

Question: There's a reason why US made stuff are Expensive right?

The bloated prices to my opinion is has got more to do with Brand Equity... going back to the Fender thing since it began building guitars they have always employed cheap mexican labor.... for the same reason today most companies go for OEM plants in China (which offers cheaper labor) and somewhere else. and to sum it up this modular concept of building guitars by Fender became venerated instruments years later after it had built it's name as a tradition.... they were mass produced, built by cheap labor to begin with so that's where Brand equity comes in.

But dont get me wrong if i had so much money to spare i'd still buy them US made stuff. Majority of consumers today still buy with aesthetics and emotions involved especially artsy stuff like hmmmm Guitars?  :mrgreen:

well it's just the age of globalization, cant get away from that... yup what else is not made in china? not to offend anyone (pasintabi po) Its a big deal for us Pinoys kasi colonial mentality is deeply rooted in our culture.... that includes me ha... yun nga if i had the money id still buy U.S. made stuff. :-D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:31:48 PM by erniebong »

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
It's not the who or where. It is the how.

Offline monsterbot

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
I'll have to agree wt this... after working in the local music retail industry for more than 12 years... a lot has changed.... yun nga basta legit yung company it doesn't matter to me (sa akin lang naman), for all we know the same OEM plants that make copies of original products are the same plants these fortune 500 companies hire to make their original products. :wink:

The bloated prices to my opinion is has got more to do with Brand Equity... going back to the Fender thing since it began building guitars they have always employed cheap mexican labor.... for the same reason today most companies go for OEM plants in China (which offers cheaper labor) and somewhere else. and to sum it up this modular concept of building guitars by Fender became venerated instruments years later after it had built it's name as a tradition.... they were mass produced, built by cheap labor to begin with so that's where Brand equity comes in.

But dont get me wrong if i had so much money to spare i'd still buy them US made stuff. Majority of consumers today still buy with aesthetics and emotions involved especially artsy stuff like hmmmm Guitars?  :mrgreen:

well it's just the age of globalization, cant get away from that... yup what else is not made in china? not to offend anyone (pasintabi po) Its a big deal for us Pinoys kasi colonial mentality is deeply rooted in our culture.... that includes me ha... yun nga if i had the money id still buy U.S. made stuff. :-D
very good point. :-)

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 03:48:25 PM »
I actually have an Epi made in China but bought in Japan.  :lol: All in for U$100.

So, I can actually speak from experience is that what matters most is what the chicks say. My wife says it's a nice guitar. Then I am good  :-D

Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
I actually have an Epi made in China but bought in Japan.  :lol: All in for U$100.

So, I can actually speak from experience is that what matters most is what the chicks say. My wife says it's a nice guitar. Then I am good  :-D

i effin agree! noon may washburn anarchy luma na siya ayun binigay kona sa lil sister ko. noon dala ko sa school, andaming chix na nagagandahan sa guitar dahil sa flamey artwork niya astig daw. MIC un pero who cares, gusto ng mga chikaz e!!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »

It IS all about the chicks isn't it? That's the reason we started playing guitar in the first place! The Chicks!

For the record my wife thinks my 81 Tokai LP ain't too hot. Masyado daw maraming gasgas.  :|
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
but Zach and Poundcake, haven't you realized yet that...

"Is an original electric guitar matters than local?"

Huwaw, labo... naunahan ako.  :lol:
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »

Whoa... let us clarify what u.s. brands you are talking about.  Nothing made right NOW in China can rival or even be close to the u.s.a guitars I have both in quality workmanship, tone, vibe and magic.    My Suhr Strat is sure modular but nothing from China can touch it.  Wait a minute, my suhr strat ain't mass produced and it shows.  What brand equity are you talking about?  I have tried USA Custom Shop Fenders that are cheaper than my Suhr that are bad sounding.  Though I agree with you that majority of consumers today still buy with aesthetics and emotions.  In this case, I bought the guitar without seeing it in person or even hearing it.  What colonial mentality are we talking about?  I used to think that MIJ guitars whipped the ass of MIA guitars until I got to try the super high end USA made guitars that deliver.   

Offline saijo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »
Whoa... let us clarify what u.s. brands you are talking about.  Nothing made right NOW in China can rival or even be close to the u.s.a guitars I have both in quality workmanship, tone, vibe and magic.    My Suhr Strat is sure modular but nothing from China can touch it.  Wait a minute, my suhr strat ain't mass produced and it shows.  What brand equity are you talking about?  I have tried USA Custom Shop Fenders that are cheaper than my Suhr that are bad sounding.  Though I agree with you that majority of consumers today still buy with aesthetics and emotions.  In this case, I bought the guitar without seeing it in person or even hearing it.  What colonial mentality are we talking about?  I used to think that MIJ guitars whipped the ass of MIA guitars until I got to try the super high end USA made guitars that deliver.   
i almost,almost believe you till you said the word "magic". Never use the word "magic" when stating facts. Im raising the bull**** flag on you now.

Judging by your post,you buy your stuff cause theyre ZOMG,ITS AMERICANSS!!!

These pranks are very insensitive and mean-spirited.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
Cue the sound of the fabled hiyaw.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »
Aw, he is back.

Mr. Gomez, Erniebong started off stating his opinion, based on his working with the industry for 12 years. Please don't question him.

What brand equity are you talking about? - he explained it. You just have your version

What colonial mentality are we talking about? - he explained it and you have it yourself. "Nothing made right NOW in China can rival or even be close to the u.s.a guitars"

I know you are going to skirt the issue. But Erniebong didn't deserve your bashing. Don't deny, you just put him down.  He gave his opinion like everyone else. You should have given yours. We WOULD have respected it but you couldn't resist.

You said your piece. Hopefully, you can have others say their piece as well.

This has been said in the C of Key.  :lol:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »
... now here comes the heated counter-argument... then things are gonna get slightly personal... and then... and then...

Offline saijo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
... now here comes the heated counter-argument... then things are gonna get slightly personal... and then... and then...
magic begins!
These pranks are very insensitive and mean-spirited.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »
Whoa... let us clarify what u.s. brands you are talking about.  Nothing made right NOW in China can rival or even be close to the u.s.a guitars I have both in quality workmanship, tone, vibe and magic.    My Suhr Strat is sure modular but nothing from China can touch it.  Wait a minute, my suhr strat ain't mass produced and it shows.  What brand equity are you talking about?  I have tried USA Custom Shop Fenders that are cheaper than my Suhr that are bad sounding.  Though I agree with you that majority of consumers today still buy with aesthetics and emotions.  In this case, I bought the guitar without seeing it in person or even hearing it.  What colonial mentality are we talking about?  I used to think that MIJ guitars whipped the ass of MIA guitars until I got to try the super high end USA made guitars that deliver.    

agree: china made guitars has yet to whup a US made (or even Japan made) axe to date.
disagree: there are a lot of japan made guitars that can whup (or an on par, at least) high quality made guitars in the US. granted this is a subjective point but i think japan and the US have equally able luthiers that put out amazing guitars. case in point, caparison and the ESP custom shop. i've got pieces from both places in japan which give me a lot of playing pleasure and has been quite successful in preventing further GAS. you can include the Ibanez Custom Shop team as well. thing is, why should I get another guitar if the one's i've got now play just as well than, say, a Suhr, Detemple or even a Melancon. note, i didn't say 'better than" because i don't think i've come to that point yet except in the field of acoustic guitars.

firemodel is right. the colonial mentality card can't be played here, in fact, i think it is misplaced and all too often an easy reference to bring out. why do folks always bring that sh*t up anyway? it boggles me, especially when we are talking about guitars. what matter is who made the guitar and what skills they have to offer in the manufacture of a product. QC is the bottom line and lets face it, China ain't exactly known for their stringent QC. if someone from the PI has the skills and ingenuity to stand up to Suhr's highest offering, i for one, would be excited to see what the newcomer has to offer! it ain't about the place where you do your work, it is what you do with the materials to make a great instrument. the colonial mentality thing shouldn't apply...hell, the luthier can be from Afghanistan or Uganda and work with stone tools for all i care! if the dude makes great work, he gets my props!

being from cebu, a place which puts out a lot of acoustic instruments, someone once asked me if the guitars from my island were world class. i asked the guy to define world class because my definition has radically changed since i left home. fact of the matter is, i lived on cebu for most of my life and thought the guitars were "teh sh*t" (a good thing in leet-speak)......until i moved overseas and played stuff from Beauregard, Greenfield, Mustapick, Beneteau, Sugita Kenji, Stonebridge and Petros. the stuff from these guys are in a totally different league. now, mind you, it isn't that they have exclusive use of any materials. they buy the same tools and wood that is available to any luthier from any country. the difference? the things they can do with raw pieces of wood is amazing. again, if someone pulls out the colonial mentality card on this one, is say: pick someone from the PI that can produce a guitar that will command just as much acclaim and respect as a greenfield g4 and you won't see a prouder guy than me to see a local bisdak contribute his skills on a global scale.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:52:08 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline killjom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »

History will repeat itself one more time, and I won't be surprise if it would for a gazillion times!  :-)
Fear neither fire nor blood.