hulika

Author Topic: TUNNEL VISION  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« on: April 27, 2006, 02:29:19 AM »
In our relentless pursuit of tone, we sometimes forget the fact that the guitar is only a fraction of a band's total sound. Imagine that? We're just one-fourth or sometimes even one-fifth of the total picture ...

So, you say ... yeah, but why can't we make that fraction count the most? Sure we can, but isn't there such a thing as overkill? It's like the bodybuilder with the over-developed arms and chicken legs..

How many times have we thought we've finally attained our 'perfect tones' in the confines of our bedrooms, only to find ourselves drowned by the keyboard or cymbals?

It's ironic indeed, but, in a gigging context, the sound that we hear within the stage's perimeter is TOTALLY different from the sound that reaches listeners fifteen feet back.

Do we really have to arm ourselves to the teeth with the penultimate amp or cable or pedals to make ourselves heard well? Maybe it helps to a certain point, but it takes another perspective to realize the importance of a guitar's fundamental frequencies (read: MIDS!) and its rightful place in the bigger picture ...
"No static at all ..."

Offline markflo

TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:57:42 AM »
great post deacon blues...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 05:03:01 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
but it takes another perspective to realize the importance of a guitar's fundamental frequencies (read: MIDS!) and its rightful place in the bigger picture ...

True. A guitar should serve the band (or the project of a band for a particular number, perhaps), not the other way around.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:03:33 AM »
very interesting post. but is it reason that these guys should not give upmost priority to making and achieveing the tone that they like? to satisfy their ears? i believe they are matured enough to consider playing with a band and having the best TONE yet being overpowerd by the keyboards or other instruments..

i understand these guys' quest for better tones, they want to satisfy their ears and i believe they also do good in leveling their instrument to the other instruments of the band.  :wink:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 07:26:53 AM »
have any of you ever had to settle for playing with crappy tone just because the crappy tone sits better in the band mix than your hammer-of-the-gods tone? i've found that i tend to forget about how crappy the guitar sounds if it sits well in the mix, helps the groove better because it doesn't overpower it and gets people's butts moving.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:44:58 PM »
That's exactly where the problem lies ...

Most gearhounds do their tweaking at home - away from the 'real-world' dB levels of a gigging band. Little do they realize that no matter how many times they exclaim 'Eureka! I've found THE tone!,' those VERY SAME SETTINGS are not going to give them the same sound when they play with their band. And I'm not just talking about getting drowned out volume-wise ...

progressive_pilipinas: there's nothing wrong with trying to always upgrade in our quest for the best tone. What I'm stressing is, sometimes, we get so caught up in our bedroom tweaking that we sometimes 'forget' to listen to the total equation once all the other instruments come in - in a band setting ...
"No static at all ..."

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 05:57:10 PM »

Most gearhounds do their tweaking at home - away from the 'real-world' dB levels of a gigging band. Little do they realize that no matter how many times they exclaim 'Eureka! I've found THE tone!,' those VERY SAME SETTINGS are not going to give them the same sound when they play with their band. And I'm not just talking about getting drowned out volume-wise ...

progressive_pilipinas: there's nothing wrong with trying to always upgrade in our quest for the best tone. What I'm stressing is, sometimes, we get so caught up in our bedroom tweaking that we sometimes 'forget' to listen to the total equation once all the other instruments come in - in a band setting ...

What I'm pointing out is that maybe we can spend maybe an equal amount of time - or maybe even more - towards being sensitive enough to listen to everyone and knowing how to get the right 'mix'

Nathan: If the tone sits better in the band mix, why would it be a crappy tone? Is it because it's a tone that you wouldn't ever use when you're playing all by yourself?

Chances are, the hammer-of-the-gods tone you're talking about is something that was 'forged to perfection' during your moments of solitude. Nothing wrong with that, except that ... most of the time, replicating that same setup WITH the band somehow makes you realize that it doesn't sound the same.

This is where the importance of mids comes in ...

I never thought much about mids myself until realized the sad truth I mentioned above. I always wondered why the tones that I got 'by myself' would get drowned in a jam setting - even with just some guitars and a bass..

Solution: boost your mids!

You'll never believe what a simple boost in the mid frequencies can do for your tone! Now, here's the caveat: it's not a tone that you'd normally gravitate to when you're playing by yourself, but with one or two instruments, or even with the drums bashing wildly behind you, you can sit contentedly and hear yourself well in the mix.

As a sidelight, check out Eddie Van Halen's rig during VH's early days.
I was surprised to find out that among his pedals in his homemade rig was a 6-band MXR EQ pedal, which was set to an inverted V. Not exactly a pointed V, but more like an inverted U actually.
"No static at all ..."

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »

What I'm pointing out is that maybe we can spend maybe an equal amount of time - or maybe even more - towards being sensitive enough to listen to everyone and knowing how to get the right 'mix'

Nathan: If the tone sits better in the band mix, why would it be a crappy tone? Is it because it's a tone that you wouldn't ever use when you're playing all by yourself?

Chances are, the hammer-of-the-gods tone you're talking about is something that was 'forged to perfection' during your moments of solitude. Nothing wrong with that, except that ... most of the time, replicating that same setup WITH the band somehow makes you realize that it doesn't sound the same.

This is where the importance of mids comes in ...

I never thought much about mids myself until realized the sad truth I mentioned above. I always wondered why the tones that I got 'by myself' would get drowned in a jam setting - even with just some guitars and a bass..

Solution: boost your mids!

You'll never believe what a simple boost in the mid frequencies can do for your tone! Now, here's the caveat: it's not a tone that you'd normally gravitate to when you're playing by yourself, but with one or two instruments, or even with the drums bashing wildly behind you, you can sit contentedly and hear yourself well in the mix.

As a sidelight, check out Eddie Van Halen's rig during VH's early days.
I was surprised to find out that among his pedals in his homemade rig was a 6-band MXR EQ pedal, which was set to an inverted V. Not exactly a pointed V, but more like an inverted U actually.
"No static at all ..."

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »
your post got me thinking, Deacon.. what you posted is very, very true. appreciating your own gear's tone by yourself is one thing but using that good tone to blend well with the other instruments is an entirely different science. it's a good thing i'm more of a pedal guy than an amp or guitar guy.. my sound stays practically the same whether i play in the church, in a bar or in my music room in my house. i just use my amp's distortion whenever i want to play extra heavy, but most of the time, my pedalboard does the trick for me. investing money on expensive amps, guitars and other stuff isn't bad as long as they are maximized and are able to blend well with the other musicians' rigs. just my opinion :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 09:22:07 PM »
Thats why we test amps in a tone party with a live band...  But I agree very much with Deacon Blues... 100%.  When the Soul Benders played at MAGNET, the other guitarist rammed down the mids of the Royal.  Arie on the other hand maintained the hollow mid voicing from the clean channel of the bigger amp to complement and not to wash out the highly mid voiced 1x12 which was pumped by a compressor and an overdrive unit.  Kung sa band context and , I will give an A to arie for thinking about the whole.  Nainitindihan niya because as a singer you cannot afford to have a heavily mid voiced guitarist at so loud a volume because it drowns out the vocals.  On the other hand, another guitarist when on stage that night and pumped out the mids on the bigger amp and the guy with the 1x12 was just drowned out which goes to show that not all people are as considerate as Arie when it comes to timpla.

Chito

TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 09:42:02 PM »
Actually you can push this topic even further.  Instead of just looking at how the guitar works with the other instruments in a band, why not look at how all of these things add up to what it was designed originally for,  that is to make music.

I also can't find fault in someone buying all sorts of gears be it a new guitar, amp, pedal, etc. I myself have been guilty of that. But at the end of the day, when we are actually playing music using our gear, each component's importance to the whole scheme of things becomes less important. What use it is for someone who has all the best equipment money can buy when the most music he can make out of it is mediocre. Of course, there are people who buy gear for the sake of buying them and collecting them, but then that's another topic for discussion.

In other words, people don't get famous because they have good tones, or transparent guitar sounds. People get famous because they play good music not because they have good equipment.

Another thing is sometimes people forget how quite a few of these guitar gods came up with their tones, mostly I assume was based primarily on what equipment was available to them at that time.

Having great gear is not a bad thing I suppose, but having it and being able to use it for what it really was designed for,  is far more important for me than anything else.

Now going back to the actual topic.  :lol:  I know exactly what you mean DB. Whenever I get/buy something for my rig and coming from past experience, I always try to approximate how it would sound in a live environment in relationship to the rest of the members of the band as well as the music we are playing.

One of the things that has been of great help to me the last couple of years or so is recording everything "off the floor" whether it is a live gig or a rehearsal. Like you said what you hear on stage is normally not what you hear offstage. With the recording, it gives me an opportunity to find out what needs to be improved on as far as my guitar playing is concerned. Be it a simple change in the way I do the rhythm parts to how the solo works out or not and yes if I'm pleased with the kind of tone that comes out of it.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 10:33:13 PM »
OAS: Is that so? Well, I'll have to give due credit to Arie for knowing what to do as the situation requires ... I mean, after all, the guy lives and breathes guitars, so, he knows all these little intricacies and nuances.

On a more personal note, I have to thank Arie for his little lectures on such things as tone, etc. The few times that I drop by his place for a repair job, we always end up discussing topics like these ... He's such a generous soul who never runs out of anecdotes and amusing stories.

The good thing is, for all his knowledge and good repute as a 'guitarsmith,' he never imposes his opinions on others. He lets you come up with your own ..

The kwentuhan even gets better when Nen comes in with a plateful of her own home-made empanada ... Mmmmmm!!! ... :)

CHITO:

"In other words, people don't get famous because they have good tones, or transparent guitar sounds. People get famous because they play good music not because they have good equipment."

Mismo bro!

And it's also true what you said about the guitar gods 'making do' with what was available at the time. It's really kinda funny how people now are making such a big fuss about so-called 'vintage gear' ...

Can you imagine how lots of guitarists are paying top dollar for a pair of original PAF pickups?! Geez! I'm sure during that era, most guitarists couldn't care any less about those pickups. Ditto for the TS-9. When it first came out, it didn't really trigger that much attention. Twas only when SRV came out that people picked up on em..
"No static at all ..."

Offline markflo

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 11:26:08 PM »
listen to earth wind & fire, tower of power, hell...even richie kotzen's funk vamps...they're nasty! no bass, all treble, no mids....it's so nasty that it's funky! YOUUUUU GOT TAH FUNKIFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZE!"

In our relentless pursuit of tone, we sometimes forget the fact that the guitar is only a fraction of a band's total sound. Imagine that? We're just one-fourth or sometimes even one-fifth of the total picture ...

So, you say ... yeah, but why can't we make that fraction count the most? Sure we can, but isn't there such a thing as overkill? It's like the bodybuilder with the over-developed arms and chicken legs..

How many times have we thought we've finally attained our 'perfect tones' in the confines of our bedrooms, only to find ourselves drowned by the keyboard or cymbals?

It's ironic indeed, but, in a gigging context, the sound that we hear within the stage's perimeter is TOTALLY different from the sound that reaches listeners fifteen feet back.

Do we really have to arm ourselves to the teeth with the penultimate amp or cable or pedals to make ourselves heard well? Maybe it helps to a certain point, but it takes another perspective to realize the importance of a guitar's fundamental frequencies (read: MIDS!) and its rightful place in the bigger picture ...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »
And to add to the funk guys: THE METERS!

Quote from: markflo
listen to earth wind & fire, tower of power, hell...even richie kotzen's funk vamps...they're nasty! no bass, all treble, no mids....it's so nasty that it's funky! YOUUUUU GOT TAH FUNKIFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZE!"

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 12:22:51 AM »

+1000000000!!!!!

i totally and definitely agree bro. before, i had tones mixed at the bedroom, realizing that it'll only be drowned out during gigs/jams. so now, i mix in the bedroom for the tone in the gigging/jamming context. and yes, we NEED MIDS. i prefer presence in the band mix, than bedroom tone (madalas pa, scooped ang mga ito).

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 07:57:11 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Thats why we test amps in a tone party with a live band...  But I agree very much with Deacon Blues... 100%.  When the Soul Benders played at MAGNET, the other guitarist rammed down the mids of the Royal.  Arie on the other hand maintained the hollow mid voicing from the clean channel of the bigger amp to complement and not to wash out the highly mid voiced 1x12 which was pumped by a compressor and an overdrive unit.  Kung sa band context and , I will give an A to arie for thinking about the whole.  Nainitindihan niya because as a singer you cannot afford to have a heavily mid voiced guitarist at so loud a volume because it drowns out the vocals...

oas, that's what rehearsals are for, and we've been playing as a band even before you met arie.  it's not about one person suddenly having more wisdom than others on what needs to be done on a gig. that's so "kobe bryant"... there's no "I" in the word "band" lol!

besides, i would advise against using 1 gig or staged tone parties as point of reference.   try gigging also so you can share experiences from the point of view of the player.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 10:07:45 AM »

its crappy tone to me because i think its crappy. an example would be the splatty, blown speaker tone in a lot of garage band records. i wouldn't go for that particular tone because i dont like it but if thats the sound that keeps me from drowning out the keys or the other guitar player then i'll use it. if its not my turn to stick out in the mix, then i sit within the mix. if its time to blow out a solo, step on the boost and blast the beejeezus out of everyone with the hammer of the gods. :lol:

i prefer playing with a ton of mids myself. doesnt matter if i'm playing rhythm or lead, i want my mids. its just that sometimes, a less middy tone keeps me from trampling all over the keyboard parts or the other guitar player so i use that too.

whats really interesting is how your ideal-sound-in-a-band-setting changes with even just one member change in the band. with one band i play for, the other guitar player tends to play with a lot of gain and usually with sort of scooped tones. that leaves me room to play with more mids which is what i prefer anyway. in another band, the other guitar player tends to play with a cleaner tone than most (sort of like keef) and there's a keyboard player so i play with a bit more gain but stay careful to leave room for the keys player. then there's the band with deltaslim. he plays pretty loud (not joe perry loud, just louder than me), but he usually stops playing to sing so in that band the job is to blend in with his rhythm when he's playing but leave room for the keys player then cover the rhythm parts when he's singing.

dami ko pang kailangan matutunan :mrgreen:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 11:56:26 AM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala

its crappy tone to me because i think its crappy. an example would be the splatty, blown speaker tone in a lot of garage band records. i wouldn't go for that particular tone because i dont like it but if thats the sound that keeps me from drowning out the keys or the other guitar player then i'll use it. if its not my turn to stick out in the mix, then i sit within the mix. if its time to blow out a solo, step on the boost and blast the beejeezus out of everyone with the hammer of the gods. :lol:

i prefer playing with a ton of mids myself. doesnt matter if i'm playing rhythm or lead, i want my mids. its just that sometimes, a less middy tone keeps me from trampling all over the keyboard parts or the other guitar player so i use that too.

whats really interesting is how your ideal-sound-in-a-band-setting changes with even just one member change in the band. with one band i play for, the other guitar player tends to play with a lot of gain and usually with sort of scooped tones. that leaves me room to play with more mids which is what i prefer anyway. in another band, the other guitar player tends to play with a cleaner tone than most (sort of like keef) and there's a keyboard player so i play with a bit more gain but stay careful to leave room for the keys player. then there's the band with deltaslim. he plays pretty loud (not joe perry loud, just louder than me), but he usually stops playing to sing so in that band the job is to blend in with his rhythm when he's playing but leave room for the keys player then cover the rhythm parts when he's singing.

dami ko pang kailangan matutunan :mrgreen:

being in 3 bands, sounds like you're doing something right!

ung setup kasi natin sa gig studio, nakatapat sa yo yung amp ko.  di ko nga marinig masyado sarili ko e... just enough to distinguish it from the sound of others.  :-)

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:12:55 PM »
i found out about this crappy-equipment-sitting-well-in-a-band-than-solo thing about 3 weeks ago. I bought this tokai bass which really can't satisfy my taste. i mean, i was eeeewwwwing all the time. i bought it without testing, relying entirely on tokai's credibility. i guess this one is the rotten apple. anyway, forward to band rehearsal. my guitar player was commenting on the sound, not a good comment btw, when we were jamming while waiting for the drummer. so i said, darn it! this is really pissing me off, tokai leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'll never buy another tokai! anyway, forward to rehearsal proper. whoa! the bass sits well with the band. i was like, what the feck was going on??? it sounds perfect with the band. when i got back home, i thought of it for a while and remembered abyss saying that even steve albini keeps crappy guitars in his studio and uses them when the song needs them. so i thought, hey, maybe the bass wasn't bad at all. you just need to know where and when to use it.

yun lang :lol:
Surf's Up!

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 12:28:15 PM »
gusto mo marinig ka sa mix?eh di gumamit ka ng $4,100 na amp!  O:)

Offline Kulas

TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »
yup, i agree. as a church guitarist and former "pwesto" player, hehe. pinaka-importante ang good mix. nothing ticks me off most than a bad mix in a band setting. sa church kasi, you get to play with different people, different soundtechs, etc. ako, being sort of a "gearhead" myself, i like tweaking my tone at home, only to find out na hindi ok yung tunog na yun sa band setting, example yung one time, nag-tweak ako ng distortion sound ko sa bahay, sabi ko "dizzizzit! the cesar aguas "warm" distortion!" (as heard in pinoy pop and pop star kids) hehe. so tugtog kami sa church, pinarinig ko pa sa fellow guitarist yung distortion sound ko before the actual praise and worship, sabi nya ayos daw. then nung game na, bigla nalang lumulubog yung tunog ko pag nagdi-distortion ako, hehe. hindi pala tama yung mix nya for the band. anyway, i've learned since then. yun nga, it's always better to tweak your tone during band rehearsals. at least you get a preview of how you'll sound like during the real thing.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 01:03:46 PM »
+1 all good points, deacon, chito, jc, nathan and kulas.  

isa pang challenge sa live band gig setting is that everything is so fluid.  unless kabisado mo na venue and the size and type of audience, you don't know kung pano kayo actually tutunog.  some venues will eat up bass and reflect back hi's more, or vice versa.  some audiences like talking while watching and it's a challenge to get heard. when you turn up, they also turn up and start shouting at each other over dinner.

another factor is the band's actual dynamics during performance itself.  unless everyone brings the same set of gtrs, fx, amps, cabs, keys, and drums  to the gig everytime, there's always going to be some adjustment needed to attain balance.  my biggest quibble about solos is that the band should know how to play whisper quiet when needed, and kick it up several notches when the solo heats up. yes, dynamics. the soloist shouldn't necessarily have to step on a boost or OD pedal in order to stand out; the rest of the band could just pull back.  it takes years of practice and experience playing in bands to develop that as a group. i know only of one local group who can do it but they're dormant.

if they could package that skill and know-how in mixers and bubble wrap it, i'm sure it'd sell like pancakes.

Chito

TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 09:24:01 PM »
Great discussion guys! Talking about dynamics... As Deltaslim said, it takes experience and lots of time playing together. It is something that right away distinguishes an excellent band from a good band to a mediocre one. It is also what distinguishes an "experienced" gigging musician. Over the years that I've played with different people, you can tell who are the ones who have been around, who are the more dedicated ones, who are just starting, who are the ringers, etc  by the way they played "with" the band. And dynamics plays a big part of it.

As for venues, I had an experience last summer. We had a gig where we played in the middle of a field that was being used as dirt bike race track. And I mean physically right in the middle of it. The organizers made a small stage made of plywood and packing skids for the drummer and gave us bits of plywood so we have a place to put our pedals, etc. It was a mess. We and every piece of equipment we had was covered in dust. Even the tubes inside my beat up old Fender Twin had dust on it. Outside of that, we had to deal with bugs (black flies, mosquitoes) to the point that our drummer was all covered up, hood on top of his head. We had a sound guy but being in an open air setting in the middle of an open field didn't help.

But in that situation what can you do. So we played on. We actually had the crowd going. Altho  I wasn't sure at that point if it was the booze or our playing or the fact that these are a bunch of bikers who like to party that got them going. hahahaha

Just an example of a situation where whatever tone, sound you have been practicing with is just thrown out of the window. You end up depending on what settings you have been using and hope for the best. In the end, it's just a bunch of guys having fun playing music together.

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 10:22:10 PM »
Deacon Blues,

Agree with you on all your points.

Deltaslim,

Please tell Mel & Steve that it was a staged tone party.  You can also tell Manny & Mike who played with you.  Also tell Arie that it was staged, the guy poured out his heart singing on that gig in front of his relatives.  Also, you can tell the fireman friend of Arie and his nephew who brought his prog rock band and plugged in to the same equipment as you did.  I count 10 of us who against one of you who claims it was staged.  I remember Mike telling you that you had great tone, and since it was staged, what do I tell Mike now?  Oh dont forget to tell Kakoi that it was staged because he enjoyed playing.  All you guys staged it to make Kakoi feel good.  On your May 6 gig, it will be the Diezel's 2nd gig with the Soul Benders with royals 2nd gig. There is no staging.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 11:01:03 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Deltaslim,

Please tell Mel & Steve that it was a staged tone party.  You can also tell Manny & Mike who played with you.  Also tell Arie that it was staged, the guy poured out his heart singing on that gig in front of his relatives.  Also, you can tell the fireman friend of Arie and his nephew who brought his prog rock band and plugged in to the same equipment as you did.  I count 10 of us who against one of you who claims it was staged.  I remember Mike telling you that you had great tone, and since it was staged, what do I tell Mike now?  Oh dont forget to tell Kakoi that it was staged because he enjoyed playing.  All you guys staged it to make Kakoi feel good.  On your May 6 gig, it will be the Diezel's 2nd gig with the Soul Benders with royals 2nd gig. There is no staging.

man, you are so good at twisting meaning around, aren't you?  and oh so melodramatic?  mind you, i've known these people you are bandying about as your buddies longer than you have.  don't run to them and cry, "daddy oh, nang-aano sya!!!"  lol!

by definition, all tone parties are staged!!!  you pick all the equipment you want to try and tweak tweak tweak.  everything is set up to the participants liking.  if they're not to the players liking, then tweak some more.  that's how and WHY you are likely to get good tone at a tone party.  can or do you that at YOUR gigs too?  

gigs are reality... tone parties are staged experiments...