hulika

Author Topic: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)  (Read 219662 times)

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)
« Reply #1025 on: September 17, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »
The dreaded volume loss issue has taken another victim T.T subukan ko yung tutorial ni sir siore haha

Offline Kalipso

« Reply #1026 on: September 18, 2013, 07:08:18 AM »
Thanks!
Kumuha kaagad ako ng pencil para itap..
buti wala namang "ping"  :)

sir ask ko lang, ito ba yung itatap?

saka panong ping po un?

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1027 on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
I think they're referring to the tubes. D ko lang sure kung itatap habang nakaon kasi parang delikado haha

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1028 on: September 18, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
Hey guys can you recommend anyone sa repairs ng cub series? Tinetext ko kasi si Mang Raul pero walang response

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1029 on: September 28, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »
A Laney Cub10 visited us here. A friend of mine wanted me to check on the amp as it powers up but no sound comes up.

I tried removing the thermofuse and placing a 22awg wire as jumper, just as siore did at the previous page. To no avail, the amp still had no sound. I figured it was the fusible resistor closest to the big 450V electrolytic cap. It's a fuse and resistor on a resistor-like shell. I tried shortly jumping a wire there and the amp had a sound. Seems like this little bugger was the culprit.

From the parts list, it was a 1k 0.33W fusible non-flammable 250V resistor. First time that I encountered it, actually. Thanks to Mark (pie-key) for helping me out with the repair.  :-)

This little amp does sound good, especially on a 2x12 cab with V30s! It's loud!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:50:33 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1030 on: September 28, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
Glad it's sorted out!  I wonder why they put these 'fusible' things inside the amp?  Modern innovation?  Seems to me like another thing to go kaput and have you scratching your head.  What's wrong with a regular fuse?  What's wrong with a plain 1k resistor?

Seriously, good stuff chino.  Chalk another one for things to look out for. 

This little amp does sound good, especially on a 2x12 cab with V30s! It's loud!

Damn straight! :mrgreen:
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1031 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »
Glad it's sorted out!  I wonder why they put these 'fusible' things inside the amp?  Modern innovation?  Seems to me like another thing to go kaput and have you scratching your head.  What's wrong with a regular fuse?  What's wrong with a plain 1k resistor?

Seriously, good stuff chino.  Chalk another one for things to look out for. 

As Mark told me when I showed him the schematics, the fusible resistor was somehow related to the tubes and the mains. Probably to act as a fuse in case of power surges. It's quite odd, honestly. They should have just placed a regular glass tube. That would be easier to replace if anything goes wrong. Hahaha!

I think the fusible stuff are actually old school, as per the stuff that I've read. But don't quote me on that as I only skimmed through other forums.

I went outside today to our nearest electronics shop to search for a "1k 0.33W fusible non-flammable 250V resistor". You know what the tech tld me? There's no such thing as a 1k fusible. Fusible resistors, he said, are only around 1-2 ohms. When it reaches the kilo amount, it should just be a plain resistor. He was talking to me with respect to the theory, etc.. I even showed him the parts list and schematic of the Cub10, but to no avail, he would not believe that there is such. Grr.

I opted to replace it for the meantime with a regular 1/2-W 1k carbon film resistor. Monitoring stuff and playing it moderately with care. Yup, no fuse. Haha. If any, I'm praying that if a current surge occurs, it will just fry the resistor.  Mark recommended putting a fuse in series with the 1k resistor, but I can't imagine how I'd wire that up neatly 'coz I'm under the impression that a "fuse" would automatically look like a glass fuse ala slo-blow. Haha.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:48:19 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1032 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
what are recommended OD/boosters for the cub12?
BLAH

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1033 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
what are recommended OD/boosters for the cub12?

IMO, any TS pedal would do...

cheers!!!
To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1034 on: November 13, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
Just got my Cub 12R. Will test it tomorrow. Sobrang excited na!  :-D
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1035 on: November 14, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
Just got my Cub 12R. Will test it tomorrow. Sobrang excited na!  :-D

congrats bro! welcome to tube amp land :)

kindly post your experiences :)
FS: Effects Pedals, Blackstar HT5-R - http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=302374.0

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1036 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
As Mark told me when I showed him the schematics, the fusible resistor was somehow related to the tubes and the mains. Probably to act as a fuse in case of power surges. It's quite odd, honestly. They should have just placed a regular glass tube. That would be easier to replace if anything goes wrong. Hahaha!

I think the fusible stuff are actually old school, as per the stuff that I've read. But don't quote me on that as I only skimmed through other forums.

I went outside today to our nearest electronics shop to search for a "1k 0.33W fusible non-flammable 250V resistor". You know what the tech tld me? There's no such thing as a 1k fusible. Fusible resistors, he said, are only around 1-2 ohms. When it reaches the kilo amount, it should just be a plain resistor. He was talking to me with respect to the theory, etc.. I even showed him the parts list and schematic of the Cub10, but to no avail, he would not believe that there is such. Grr.

I opted to replace it for the meantime with a regular 1/2-W 1k carbon film resistor. Monitoring stuff and playing it moderately with care. Yup, no fuse. Haha. If any, I'm praying that if a current surge occurs, it will just fry the resistor.  Mark recommended putting a fuse in series with the 1k resistor, but I can't imagine how I'd wire that up neatly 'coz I'm under the impression that a "fuse" would automatically look like a glass fuse ala slo-blow. Haha.

you can just order online

http://singapore.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-components/fixed-resistors/through-hole-fixed-resistors/?searchTerm=fusible&applied-dimensions=4294519185&esid=cl_4294967294,cl_4294958141,cl_4294957611,cl_4294958338,cl_4294957725,cl_4294958469&m=1
doh!!!

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1037 on: November 15, 2013, 06:48:49 AM »
congrats bro! welcome to tube amp land :)

kindly post your experiences :)
Thanks sir. Not my first use of a tube amp though, kaso so far, it's the best bang for the buck amp I've used.

Sinubukan ko siya with a drummer and a bassist, at kaya niyang makipag-sabayan though I had to turn up the volume to about 5 or 6. Malalaman ko kung ok siya volume-wise tonight when I'm playing with a bunch of singers and a louder drummer. Might get a 2x12 pag hindi kinaya.

I love the fact na may tone control siya. It can go from bright to dark with a turn of the knob. Found some really cool sounds on it. I was kinda expecting it to be muddy, but I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded really clear even with my drive pedals. Dirt doesn't go up to metal without the help of a pedal but for my uses, perfect siya. Reverb though is kinda subtle which might be good for some people, but not for me. Medyo bitin ako sa bass, but I think it's just the open back design. Nothing a wooden plank won't fix later on.

Overall, I love it. Cheap amp with surprisingly good tone. I prefer it over our church's Peavey Valveking. Though GAS ko pa rin talaga is a Fender Blues Deluxe or a Vox AC-30, the Cub 12R will be staying as my portable, low watt amp.

BTW po anong tubes ang stock nito? I got it second hand with Ruby tubes installed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:53:54 AM by voidmain »
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline powghi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1038 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
how about Laney cub head?  anyone tried?

Sent from my PadFone 2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1039 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
Thanks sir. Not my first use of a tube amp though, kaso so far, it's the best bang for the buck amp I've used.

Sinubukan ko siya with a drummer and a bassist, at kaya niyang makipag-sabayan though I had to turn up the volume to about 5 or 6. Malalaman ko kung ok siya volume-wise tonight when I'm playing with a bunch of singers and a louder drummer. Might get a 2x12 pag hindi kinaya.

I love the fact na may tone control siya. It can go from bright to dark with a turn of the knob. Found some really cool sounds on it. I was kinda expecting it to be muddy, but I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded really clear even with my drive pedals. Dirt doesn't go up to metal without the help of a pedal but for my uses, perfect siya. Reverb though is kinda subtle which might be good for some people, but not for me. Medyo bitin ako sa bass, but I think it's just the open back design. Nothing a wooden plank won't fix later on.

Overall, I love it. Cheap amp with surprisingly good tone. I prefer it over our church's Peavey Valveking. Though GAS ko pa rin talaga is a Fender Blues Deluxe or a Vox AC-30, the Cub 12R will be staying as my portable, low watt amp.

BTW po anong tubes ang stock nito? I got it second hand with Ruby tubes installed.
IIRC Ruby yung stock tubes nyan so hindi pa siguro narereplace. You might wanna look for replacement tubes if the amp has been with the previous owner for quite some time.

Offline steliocore

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1040 on: November 15, 2013, 09:34:11 AM »

Ang alam ko yan ang stock nyan sir. Gusto ko try magpalit ng tubes kaso di ko alam yung biasing. Gusto ko magtry ng tubes na magpapataas ng headroom but still solid yung drive niya. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1041 on: November 15, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »
Ang alam ko yan ang stock nyan sir. Gusto ko try magpalit ng tubes kaso di ko alam yung biasing. Gusto ko magtry ng tubes na magpapataas ng headroom but still solid yung drive niya. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Hindi ba self-biasing ang cub series? Or cub10 lang? Yung sakin kasi sinalpak ko lang yung replacement tubes eh hahahaha

Offline steliocore

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1042 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
Hindi ba self-biasing ang cub series? Or cub10 lang? Yung sakin kasi sinalpak ko lang yung replacement tubes eh hahahaha

Haha. Ang alam ko hindi bro. Waka bang problema Cub mo after? Anong inilagay mong tubes? 6v6 ata yun e, tama ba?

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1043 on: November 15, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »
Haha. Ang alam ko hindi bro. Waka bang problema Cub mo after? Anong inilagay mong tubes? 6v6 ata yun e, tama ba?

None that I know of.

Found this on the net though: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-889226.html
A user emailed Laney about it and they said it has a self-biasing design. Though it might only be the Cub10 though.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1044 on: November 15, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
EL-84's yung cub12.  Class A/B din sya like the cub10.  Mas maraming preamp stages din.  Cub10 is fixed bias, meaning it has an adjustment trimpot for bias, and preferably should be set when installing new tubes. Although, laney factory sets it for typical tube current ratings, and as long as you buy tubes with middle range readings, you should be fine.  Ask your tube vendor.

BTW, anyone noticed they changed the grill cloth?  I was surprised to see the new cubs sporting a tan grill vs the older version weaves.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline bulok

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1045 on: November 28, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »
okay ba sa band rehearsal ang cub 10? kaya ba nya sumabay sa volume ng acoustic drums at 30watts ss guitar amp?

Offline bulok

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1046 on: November 29, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
okay ba sa band rehearsal ang cub 10? kaya ba nya sumabay sa volume ng acoustic drums at 30watts ss guitar amp?
?

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1047 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
I've done it before bro.  It's alright. :cool:
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline bulok

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1048 on: November 29, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »
I've done it before bro.  It's alright. :cool:

Offline simon_divitico

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1049 on: December 19, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »
Na-solve ko na problem ko sa cub10 ko regarding volume drop. Nawalan ka kasi ako ng pag-asa kaya ako na mismo nag kalas at nag troubleshoot. Kaso sorry, di ko na-picturan e. Pero yung part na lumuluwag e yung sa may kabitan sa motherboard galing sa mga input jack. Hirap i-explain, hehe. May parang glue stick sa kabitan na pag uminit, lumuluwag yung kapit. Nilagyan ko lang ng mighty bond yung plastic na may kabitan, wala na problem, kahit pang harabas, wala nang volume drop. Pag may time, pictur-an ko yung tinutukoy ko, nosebleed ako sa pag-explain hehe. Malamang nosebleed din kayo. Sana parepareho lang tayo ng problem para solve lahat sa nadiskubre ko.  :nosebleed:

Luden musta hehe! Patulong ako! Naka Cub 10 din ako.. Namamatay yung saken magisa after a few minutes ng pagpiplay. Naexperience ko na rin yung nagvovolume drop eh pero occasional na lang lol.

Sa mga experts naman, question lang, possible kayang kelangan ko lang palitan yung tubes ng amp ko kung ang problema is namamatay na lang biglay yung amp? 2009 or 2010 pa kasi saken yung amp, and since binili ko never kong pinalitan yung tubes eh.....
FS EPIPHONE LESPAUL STANDARD MIK P15K http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=297667.0