hulika

Author Topic: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)  (Read 218476 times)

Offline MR_BIG

Re: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)
« Reply #1000 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »

Here's my cub 8, bought it last christmas, looking to mod it one of these days, any advice on a nice 8 in speaker? Thanks

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1001 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »
Well, it finally happened. :nosebleed:

That dreaded volume loss, then shut-off issue...

Can't say I'm surprised.  Well documented yung issue na 'to among cub owners.  I guess it won't be glowing reviews from me anymore.  Good amp still, but disclaimer is that the shut-off issue is real.  Got my amp around September 2010, two tube changes, so I guess it had a good 3-year run until the friggin' poly switch decided to call it quits.

Ehhh, I've been in this amp.  I can do this particular repair.

Anyone up for progress pics while I'm at it?
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1002 on: July 23, 2013, 07:25:23 AM »
Call it blasphemy to the CUB thread, but here goes:

If you would describe a Laney CUB 12r as a person, what personality would he have?
How would it compare to a fender deluxe reverb ri?

I have the 12r. Now i'm starting to get interested on a drri :P
BLAH

Offline dirt

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1003 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
Na-solve ko na problem ko sa cub10 ko regarding volume drop. Nawalan ka kasi ako ng pag-asa kaya ako na mismo nag kalas at nag troubleshoot. Kaso sorry, di ko na-picturan e. Pero yung part na lumuluwag e yung sa may kabitan sa motherboard galing sa mga input jack. Hirap i-explain, hehe. May parang glue stick sa kabitan na pag uminit, lumuluwag yung kapit. Nilagyan ko lang ng mighty bond yung plastic na may kabitan, wala na problem, kahit pang harabas, wala nang volume drop. Pag may time, pictur-an ko yung tinutukoy ko, nosebleed ako sa pag-explain hehe. Malamang nosebleed din kayo. Sana parepareho lang tayo ng problem para solve lahat sa nadiskubre ko.  :nosebleed:
YEAH I WANNA PLAY GUITAR EVERYDAY!!

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1004 on: July 24, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
Sad news about your Cub amp Sir Siore. :cry:

Hope all goes well with the repair, and that you'd be able to post your repair pics here for future references.

Offline dirt

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1005 on: July 24, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »

Kung di ako nagkakamali, yung nasa left side ng nakasulat na v2 (yung may glue stick) yung nag lu-loose sakin, saka parang mejo tunaw yung plastic. Sinaksak ko mabuti sa slot tas nilagyan ko ng mighty bond, solb problem ko regarding volume drop. Sibukan nyo kalasin, tas saksak nyo guitar, strum nyo tas galaw galawin yung sinasabi ko using screw driver. Warning!: nung kinamay ko, nakuryente ako ng malupet. Sana same din ng sakin yung case nyo.  ^-^
YEAH I WANNA PLAY GUITAR EVERYDAY!!

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1006 on: July 24, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
Kung di ako nagkakamali, yung nasa left side ng nakasulat na v2 (yung may glue stick) yung nag lu-loose sakin, saka parang mejo tunaw yung plastic. Sinaksak ko mabuti sa slot tas nilagyan ko ng mighty bond, solb problem ko regarding volume drop. Sibukan nyo kalasin, tas saksak nyo guitar, strum nyo tas galaw galawin yung sinasabi ko using screw driver. Warning!: nung kinamay ko, nakuryente ako ng malupet. Sana same din ng sakin yung case nyo.  ^-^

Nakupo seems risky to me.  I don't want my bare hands yanking and pulling near the circuit board with the amp powered on. :cute:  Takot ko lang.  But it's good you found your issue.  Loose ribbon connectors lang pala.

Sad news about your Cub amp Sir Siore. :cry:

Hope all goes well with the repair, and that you'd be able to post your repair pics here for future references.

All is well.  Here's the short report on my cub repair.  I hope it's concise enough..

For first time Cub owners, there is this well-known issue of the amp suddenly powering down.  It's been mostly attributed to the poly switch, aka:

thermo switch
polyfuse
thermal fuse
PTC fuse
little yellow devil
thermal resistor
thermistor

These things, like most electronic components, are made in China, and it seems a defective batch found itself into a good number of laney cub amps.  Cub10 and Cub12 are the usual victims.

:razz: DISCLAIMER:  Tube amps can kill.  May stored value, teh filter caps.  450V rating, it sez.  If you haven't done this before, don't be stooopid.  Call mang raul.  :razz:

First things first.  Fire her up, see if it goes to shut-off.  Check.  Try some good spare 6V6's.  Check.  Still shutting down.  Try good spare 12ax7.  In V1 position.  Check.  Still shutting down.  In V2.  Check.  Same deal.  Conclusion.  The little devil has to go.

Remove chassis, two screws on top, two at the sides.  Disconnect spade connectors from speaker.  Push tiny tab to release.

Take care not to touch anything inside.  Set on table.  Piece of wood helps so chassis doesn't rest on the tubes.

Discharge caps.  One end of an alligator clip wire goes to ground point near PT.

Other end goes to plate of most accessible tube, I use pin 3 of V3.  Pwde rin sa pin1 ng mga 12ax7.  It stays as long as practical.  10seconds is probably enough.

Disconnect PT and OT ribbon connectors.

Remove tubes.  6V6 clamps and bolts as well.

Dislodge main board from plastic standoffs.  Long nose pliers can help.  There's three.  One near OT.

Near PT

And the last tricky bit at the back.

Dislodge board to access remaining ribbon connectors.  Remove and take note of their positions for later re-assembly.

All that remains is that pilot lamp.  After removing the red jewel on top, loosen (luwagan lang) the nut underneath,

Then while holding the nut, unscrew the top portion.  Long-nose pliers helps.

Once you have the board in your hands, madali na lang.  Take out Little Nicky by unsoldering underneath.  Solder back replacement.  In my case, a piece of ga22 solid core wire.

Now at this point I want to caution, technically you should get a PTC fuse with holding current of 6A, shutoff current of 10A, rated at least 16V.  However, other users report that a "bypass" or piece of wire is perfectly fine.  Check it out for yourself.  At the very least, if i can get my hands on a replacement, uulitin ko lang yung procedure.  I will remove the wire, then put new PTC in.

Now.  Put everything back.  Remove alligator clip (very important).  Hook up an 8-ohm speaker to the extension cab jack.  Power on.  Check check din ng bias kung may time. :lol: Schematic calls for -21V.

It doesn't go to that shut-off state anymore.  No red-plating.  Happy tubes.

Power down.  Discharge caps again.  Replace chassis into the combo shell.  Don't forget to hookup your speaker.  Done.

And here again is the yellow part causing cub owners worldwide headaches.

You can see part of the schematic where it is located (F1 or LANEY PN = 007390, near the hum adjust).  Some users indicate that most amps (or other amps they own) don't have this fuse and question its placement in the design.  Others report that after replacing the PTC, they still experience the shut-off issue.  Others then again, instead of a bypass, report they opted for the typical short glass fuse, rated 8A, to replace the PTC.  So in this case, YMMV. :razz:
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1007 on: July 24, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
Call it blasphemy to the CUB thread, but here goes:

If you would describe a Laney CUB 12r as a person, what personality would he have?
How would it compare to a fender deluxe reverb ri?

I have the 12r. Now i'm starting to get interested on a drri :P

IMO the cub12 is voiced more to the marshall side of things.  Think JCM800 with extra nice features.  The cub10, though, is quite fender.

Blues Jr and Cub10
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline MR_BIG

« Reply #1008 on: July 25, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »
The cub 8 sounds dark and muddy to me even when using a tele.

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1009 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
Thanks for the excellent repair tutorial Sir Siore, ngayon pag nag-ka problema, pwede na i DIY or ipagawa sa electrician using your work as a guide. 

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1010 on: July 25, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
Sayang din kasi.  Such a nice amp, only to be marred by QC issues.  If this helps anyone or nudge them on to keep their cub amps, I'm only glad to sort out some of the typical kinks.  I know at least that on this thread, quite a few also appreciate the amp for its amazing value.

I've had a Roland Cube40XL for quite some time.  I vastly prefer the Cub10.  Sure the modelling and versatility aspect was great, as well as the looper function, but the soulful nature of a simple tube amp inspires me to play more.  I tend to work with my guitar controls with more finesse, and notice nice subtleties in my instrument.  It just lets the character of the guitar shine.  Kung may pedals ka, it's a nice platform as well, balanced clean or slightly breaking up.

Sure I also play with a Blackstar HT-5 and an amazing vintage Fender, but for its grab-and-go small combo appeal, may lugar saken 'to. ^-^  Pwedeng desert island amp.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline toybitz

« Reply #1011 on: August 05, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
Gee, lookee here!

cub and get it?

I'm attuned more to the creamy Cub12r.

Vastly tempted with the Cub Head/Cab.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline Kalipso

« Reply #1012 on: August 06, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »
Just got the Cub10 for P8,900! :D buti't may 30% discount :)

Offline toybitz

« Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
I'm curious, what amp did you trade?  :-D

There's this guy who bought a P600 amp from RJ and had it applied sa promo for a Cub12r.  Wise guy. hahaha!

Offline blackgino77

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1014 on: August 08, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
Hmmm, interesting promo. I hope they would accept my old but functional mini-amp for the trade in hehehe...

Offline toybitz

« Reply #1015 on: August 13, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »
it says there in the promo...ANY....working or non-working...so yeah, they definitely will.  *)

so you can trade a mini amp to huge amp or vice versa basta ANY....or, a keyboard amp to any amp (bass, guitar, basta Laney ang tatak ng amp)

Offline Kalipso

« Reply #1016 on: August 13, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm curious, what amp did you trade?  :-D

There's this guy who bought a P600 amp from RJ and had it applied sa promo for a Cub12r.  Wise guy. hahaha!

Marshall MG10 sir  ^-^ almost 10years na sakin yun. pagdating ko ng JB music binigay ko lang yung amp, hindi na nila chineck then ayun, discounted na yung Cub10  :-D

Offline kevsvalderrama

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1017 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
CUB10 users!
may nagbobother sakin kasi this is my first tube amp..
hndi pantay ung ilaw nung sa power tubes
ung isa mejo dim ung light..  :-(
normal lang ba yun or sign ng replacement???
check out my sounds here! https://soundcloud.com/kevin-valderrama

Offline batang80s

« Reply #1018 on: August 13, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
Normal.

But when in doubt, get a chopstick or wooden pencil. Tap the tube lightly. If it pings - it's a dead tube. Replace.

Offline kevsvalderrama

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1019 on: August 14, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »
Normal.

But when in doubt, get a chopstick or wooden pencil. Tap the tube lightly. If it pings - it's a dead tube. Replace.

Thanks!
Kumuha kaagad ako ng pencil para itap..
buti wala namang "ping"  :)
check out my sounds here! https://soundcloud.com/kevin-valderrama

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1020 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:36 PM »
Any idea kung magkano yung head +cab ?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #1021 on: August 22, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »
25K plus yun head plus cab...

pero kung may ma te-trade ka 20,370.

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1022 on: August 22, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
Lol pwede ko itrade rage amp ko haha mabigat pa din sa bulsa 20k ,yung cub8 po kaya how much ?bili ko dalawa. Meron ako dalawang defective amp dito..

Offline toybitz

« Reply #1023 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
ah, eh ikaw naman ang nagtanong ng cub head and cab eh...hehehe

cub 8 po 7K kapag tine-rade in.

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1024 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »
hehe sensya na po.

ayan di na masyado mabigat sa bulsa ang 7k haha, 14k dalawa hehe. :-D

sa lahat kaya ng jb music stores ito? Sana sa Pampanga din.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:08:28 PM by didi09 »