hulika

Author Topic: The Barber Shop (barber electronics users)  (Read 42113 times)

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Barber Shop (barber electronics users)
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »
Barber Dirty Bomb user here, for both my RG and Tele. I really love that bass/mid heavy distortion that the DB produces.  :-)

For the Dirty Bomb, here are my settings:
Bass: 4:30
Internal Bass: 3:00
Treble: 2:00
Gain: 4:00
Volume: 12:00
Toggle: Center or Right (Boosted mids or scooped mids)

I'm also thinking of either getting a Direct Drive SS or an HBE Power Screamer.. Still torn... esep esep.

just bought a dirtybomb from shredmaestrobri last friday, first time ko icheck tong thread na to and i must say parehas tayo ng settings sir. no regrets spending for this pedal. ang dameng possibilities :-D :-D
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
Finally got to open up the Super Sport. Major major neat wiring as I would expect from Barber!

linis!

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »

just bought a dirtybomb from shredmaestrobri last friday, first time ko icheck tong thread na to and i must say parehas tayo ng settings sir. no regrets spending for this pedal. ang dameng possibilities :-D :-D

I've got a new setting. I'll post a pic soon. It's very mid forward distortion, unlike my old setting which is a bit mid scooped. :-)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
Finally got to open up the Super Sport. Major major neat wiring as I would expect from Barber!

Very nice, right?  That's one aesthetic reason why I admire Barber products.   :-D

Are those still the factory settings?  And is that a 4559 just like in the Direct Drive?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »
Very nice, right?  That's one aesthetic reason why I admire Barber products.   :-D

Are those still the factory settings?  And is that a 4559 just like in the Direct Drive?

It's a JRC 4558D, like those tubescreamers.  :-)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
It's a JRC 4558D, like those tubescreamers.  :-)

Thaks for the reply, chino!   :-)  I guess your brother is busy tweaking the SS?  hehe  Nonetheless, thanks again for the info,  I'm actually was surprised to learn that it is a 4558.  I was always under the impression that the SS was  a super modded Direct Drive so I was expecting it to come with a 4559.  I guess one of the mods done was the op-amp swap.  haha  I haven't tried the 4558s as of yet on the DD and this gives me an excuse to try it out.   :-)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
Thaks for the reply, chino!   :-)  I guess your brother is busy tweaking the SS?  hehe

hehe. he's not here sa bahay ngayon eh. hehe.

Nonetheless, thanks again for the info,  I'm actually was surprised to learn that it is a 4558.  I was always under the impression that the SS was  a super modded Direct Drive so I was expecting it to come with a 4559.  I guess one of the mods done was the op-amp swap.  haha  I haven't tried the 4558s as of yet on the DD and this gives me an excuse to try it out.   :-)

Truly. Another reason to try it out. SS can get DD tones from what I've read. But DD can't get some SS tones.  :lol: It a monster, daming trimpots sa ilalim. Simple lang sa labas pero sa loob ay mas refined na tweaking.  :lol:

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2010, 05:06:58 PM »
Just looked at the pics again.  Did that masking tape with the SS marking (upper-mid, right side) come stock from the factory?!?  I wonder what secrets lie under it?  What's Barber trying to cover up?   :evil:

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
I own a Tone Press, but I'm not sure if this is true for all Barber pedals: hindi ko siya magagamit with my PSU for some reason. it's an Artec power brick, which powers all my other pedals fine; not the Tone Press for some reason, kaya ginagamit ko siya ngayon with a 9V battery. sounds fine naman. should I have it repaired or was it my fault or something? received it from BossingBoss about a couple months back, and sent an email to Barber about it... wala pang reply, of course.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:06:44 PM by throwinshapes »

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:48 PM »
I own a Tone Press, but I'm not sure if this is true for all Barber pedals: hindi ko siya magagamit with my PSU for some reason. it's an Artec power brick, which powers all my other pedals fine; not the Tone Press for some reason, kaya ginagamit ko siya ngayon with a 9V battery. sounds fine naman. should I have it repaired or was it my fault or something? received it from BossingBoss about a couple months back, and sent an email to Barber about it... wala pang reply, of course.

hindi siya nagpopower-up lang?

how many other pedals do you run with it?

ano max ma na kaya nung power brick?

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »
-yeah, hindi siya nagpo-power up. tried with a battery, works. without a battery, no juice.

-not many, if not, none at all. minsan ginagamit ko lang siya as is without any other pedals for clean tones. guitar>Tone Press>amp.

-■■ SPECIFICATION ■■
Power supply: 15V 1A
Output:
    6ch of 9V fixed output (100mA each)
    2ch of adjustable output (6~12V, 100mA each)
Dimension: 75.5(w) x 115.5(h) x 47.5(d) (mm)
Weight: 280g (include battery)

^copy pasted from the Artec website.

Offline hamsterjamster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
i power the dirty bomb with a onespot along with my other pedals..ok naman..

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:52 PM »

hmm that's weird. I also own a tone press and mine works fine. Using it with a DC brick. Try to borrow a friends power supply and see if that works.

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
-yeah, hindi siya nagpo-power up. tried with a battery, works. without a battery, no juice.

-not many, if not, none at all. minsan ginagamit ko lang siya as is without any other pedals for clean tones. guitar>Tone Press>amp.

-■■ SPECIFICATION ■■
Power supply: 15V 1A
Output:
    6ch of 9V fixed output (100mA each)
    2ch of adjustable output (6~12V, 100mA each)
Dimension: 75.5(w) x 115.5(h) x 47.5(d) (mm)
Weight: 280g (include battery)

^copy pasted from the Artec website.

try it with other powersupplies kung pwede. hmm. kala ko it just wasn't getting enough power. but since it happens na kahit siya lang, that's a different story. if not.. maybe it's defective?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
try it with other powersupplies kung pwede. hmm. kala ko it just wasn't getting enough power. but since it happens na kahit siya lang, that's a different story. if not.. maybe it's defective?

Or baka faulty yung DC jack or mas naputol na connection.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »
@curiousdcat

Barber pedals are beautiful inside and out. I can't believe the price for what they offer. I've finished tweaking the internal trimpots. The one in the picture is stock. I raised the presence and harmonics a little bit. Tapos gain and tone nalang inaadjust ko depende sa mood. I have no idea what's underneath the masking tape. I never cared for it. haha.

@throwinshapes

Try a different power supply or dc cables muna. Dave and Ronni usually replies in a day or two when they're not busy. I power mine with a 1Spot and they work fine. 

Offline aHeartThatNeverFade

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2010, 12:18:39 AM »
I want a shootout between FD2 and SS.  :evil:

*sana SS na lang pala kinuha ko instead of FD2.  :lol:
For He satisfies my longing soul and fills my hungry soul with goodness. -Psalms 107:9

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2010, 01:12:05 AM »
@cayle

Thanks for the additional info.  Enjoy your SS.   :-)

Offline .Geno.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
@Sir Chino, the Printed Circuit Board of that is topnotch. Comparing it with MIC's, the problems with these Chinese production pedals nowadays are well documented. The quality of the parts is very poor. There are instances where the pots have simply fallen apart and trying to mod them isn't such a good idea.

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
anu mas ok pang boost?
direct drive or ltd ? same price lang sila diba?
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
@Sir Chino, the Printed Circuit Board of that is topnotch. Comparing it with MIC's, the problems with these Chinese production pedals nowadays are well documented. The quality of the parts is very poor. There are instances where the pots have simply fallen apart and trying to mod them isn't such a good idea.

The Super Sport is Cayle's pedal bro.  :-) Barber pedals are really good handmade pedals. Comparing them to other bowteek stuff, mas mura sila but then they have a better presentation overall, quality is a huge plus, and best of all, they sound great!  :-) With regards to MIC stuff, I think they go for "quantity over quality", particularly the big-name brands.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
anu mas ok pang boost?
direct drive or ltd ? same price lang sila diba?

As main drive, get the DD. For boost, get the LTD.  :-)

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »
As main drive, get the DD. For boost, get the LTD.  :-)

+1

This is exactly what I do. It sometimes makes me feel that having a dedicated booster seem redundant on my board.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »
To Dirty Bomb users:

Have you tried setting the Treble and Bass controls below noon? Currently, I have the treble just below 9oclock, with the Bass at 11oclock. It's fat, not honky. Less fizzy, more mid forward sounding.  :-D

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
Got bored and took some pics.  :lol:

Settings.  :evil:

My two sports.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:23:37 PM by cayle »