hulika

Author Topic: Is it OK to sell DIY clones?  (Read 38356 times)

Offline namzer0

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Is it OK to sell DIY clones?
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
ok lang ba yung ganun? I mean, If you can build it, why not make some money out of it?  :-Dwhat do you think?

Hala... some sort of Piracy??? <_<

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Is it OK to sell DIY clones?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »
For profit? I'm against it.

Where's the creativity in that? I'd rather see our local builders innovate than just rely on cloning. Otherwise, wala rin mangyayari.

But no one's gonna stop you. Well, mostly. May nangyari nang issue dito locally dati.

And for the players/buyers, sila rin lugi. Resale on those things is next to nil.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »
well kung they operate it as a "business" they should register it and pay taxes
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:35:29 AM »
Ito ay parang mga kanta ng VST and company.

Offline blacktele

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
Ito ay parang mga kanta ng VST and company.

What song?
GAS is proof that money has no value without velocity

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
^ lahat. :D

OT: how's the cub 8? I sold the small clone, but found my self to get another one. :)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:30:35 AM »
Yes, it is piracy in a way -- intellectual property is being stolen in most cases.

I thought about doing it once but decided against it as a sign of respect to the real innovators I looked up to (I also didn't want to deal with the headaches of customer support). That won't change anymore. I've also patronized the local scene once or twice. I don't see myself doing it again anymore, either.

On the other hand, far be it from me to look down upon those who do.

Where's the creativity in that?
In the paintjob and graphics of the enclosure, primarily, lol...

I agree that builders should rely less on cloning. But that's admittedly a tall order.

I also agree regarding resale value. I'm sure a lot of people have noticed, but nobody seems to talk about it.

Let's face it people -- most of us who try to save by patronizing local clones end up trying to re-sell them (myself included). For something like a mint na may kaunting gasgas Boss SD-1 that you bought brand new, you can probably get away with a P500 depreciation and sell it fairly quick. Good luck in trying to get the same results for a Sebastienn Texas Flood (aka Tubescreamer clone). I mean it could still happen, but the likelihood isn't promising.

Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
For profit? I'm against it.

Where's the creativity in that? I'd rather see our local builders innovate than just rely on cloning. Otherwise, wala rin mangyayari.

But no one's gonna stop you. Well, mostly. May nangyari nang issue dito locally dati.

And for the players/buyers, sila rin lugi. Resale on those things is next to nil.
FYI,a lot of boutique pedal builders are doing it and they make a good living selling re-designed "modded" ODs that has been here ages ago.IMO,too over priced! Marami jan na yumayaman dahil sa kopya tulad nila(place your famous boutique builder here) . Why don't they give credit to the real innovators like BOSS,Ibanez,EHX,MXR to name a few,sila naman talaga kasi nag umpisa nyan. Me,as a DIY enthusiast and a clone builder,is guilty of selling clones myself but i always give credit to the people who really deserves being recognized Take Jack Orman,Ed Guirdy,Electrictabs to name a few,who are responsible in designing awesome circuits.

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »

I also agree regarding resale value. I'm sure a lot of people have noticed, but nobody seems to talk about it.

Yeah. Lugi talaga. Lalo na for the prices some people charge.

FYI,a lot of boutique pedal builders are doing it and they make a good living selling re-designed "modded" ODs that has been here ages ago.IMO,too over priced! Marami jan na yumayaman dahil sa kopya tulad nila(place your famous boutique builder here) . Why don't they give credit to the real innovators like BOSS,Ibanez,EHX,MXR to name a few,sila naman talaga kasi nag umpisa nyan. Me,as a DIY enthusiast and a clone builder,is guilty of selling clones myself but i always give credit to the people who really deserves being recognized Take Jack Orman,Ed Guirdy,Electrictabs to name a few,who are responsible in designing awesome circuits.

Who said I was ok with anyone doing it? Local or otherwise, I'm against it.

Offline e-guitar

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
Para sa akin ok lang siguro magbenta ng Clones. Basta wag mo lang siya ipang-Scam, tulad ng sasabihin ng seller na Branded yung pedal pero DIY Clone lang pala. Kailangan lagi mo papaalam na CLONE lang talaga yung binebenta mo para iwas disgrasya!
DEAL REFERENCES: larry.galang, bass13man, mb.la13.

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
the truth is, we're against it but we're patronizing them. Isa ako dun. Kaya marami napupunta sa business na, kasi may market.

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
siguro maganda, gawing basis lang yung tunog ng pedals, then dagdagan parin ng "something" para di mo matawag na exact clone. say, more gain. more bass. more treble. etc. ganun din naman ang mga pedals na branded eh, pag may tunog na maganda, iibahin lang nila ng konti yung characterisitics nung sound. :)

Offline IncX

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
from a business stand point, not worth it... apart from investing money and stuff, the money you make here is not much (if you started 2-3 years ago, yes ... you'd make fast money especially with those cute enclosures. nowadays, the competition is big and the buyers smarter).

you'd have much better income retailing known pedals, keeping your stocks low, making your services and communications topnotch and finally, getting your payment and shipment methods in order.

Offline stompnoise

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »
Sakin ok lang, at least we can get something when it's really hard to find or out of production. Remember, the builder can only charge a little less than the clone's original pedal price, that's because mass production can make profit even from a small markup from the parts. In a sense, these clone builders won't really get rich from doing it. putting up a company and making mass produced clones though is another story.

Offline quaternotetriplet

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
hindi profitable yan.. pang hobby lang talaga pag DIY. IMO
 :-D :idea:
h

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »
In a sense, these clone builders won't really get rich from doing it.

Yeah, I have a feeling na di nga ganun ka lucrative on a pretty small scale locally. I mean, it's not like you'd quit your day job just to sell clones in our local market. The market isn't that big, imo. Tas once dumami na yung nagbebenta ng used na pedals from your line, mas liliit pa.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 02:59:24 AM »
Yeah. Lugi talaga. Lalo na for the prices some people charge.

Who said I was ok with anyone doing it? Local or otherwise, I'm against it.
but still you buy boutique? ganun din yan,sa labas lng pinas ginawa saka well packaged and well marketed lang. my point is majority ng mga boutique pedals dun din galing. no offense, but judging by the looks of your board,i think you fully support it.

Offline IncX

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »

wait... so you can say that something like a Budda Wah is actually a pirated improved version of a Crybaby Wah?

or that a Lovepedal Eternity Burst is a pirated copy of a Tubescreamer?

im confused ... i mean, you don't say that Pepsi is a pirated version of Coke, right?

Offline milzer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
@ topic...

for me its okay, as long as you're selling it as a CLONE!!! 
Don't make a story that you've done some MODS... na obviously WALEY! naman....  <_<

another thing about Re-selling... Hindi porket "gawang Pinoy".. Invention na kagad?...   :-o
Aba, magisip muna tayo kung saan galing yan... 

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:50 AM »
never owned a DIY clone. kahit date pa nakita ko na na mahirap magbenta ng mga clone :) UNLESS ibebenta mo ng palugi. mashado mababa yun resale value. kaya madalas walang kumakagat sa mga 2nd hand na clone na 500php nalang yun difference sa brandnew na clone :)
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »
@ topic...

Don't make a story that you've done some MODS... na obviously WALEY! naman....  <_<

another thing about Re-selling... Hindi porket "gawang Pinoy".. Invention na kagad?...   :-o
h

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
wait... so you can say that something like a Budda Wah is actually a pirated improved version of a Crybaby Wah?

or that a Lovepedal Eternity Burst is a pirated copy of a Tubescreamer?

im confused ... i mean, you don't say that Pepsi is a pirated version of Coke, right?
nakita mo na ba schem ng Eternity and compared it with the tubescreamer? bufferless tubescreamer lang ang eternity with little tweaks.
h

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
@ topic...

This. Even a lot of the more expensive boutique pedal builders admit what's inside of their pedal. Filipino inventions. For teh lulz. I think I saw this somewhere.... :eek:

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »
This. Even a lot of the more expensive boutique pedal builders admit what's inside of their pedal. Filipino inventions. For teh lulz. I think I saw this somewhere.... :eek:
this :-D
h

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
On topic: I am not against selling clones. I am against selling these clones while passing them of as YOUR OWN DESIGN or as they call it INVENTION.