hulika

Author Topic: MAX RUFO's Custom Guitars & Basses w/ pics!  (Read 1235154 times)

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MAX RUFO's Custom Guitars & Basses w/ pics!
« Reply #1225 on: May 03, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »
cool lang bro. yung puso. :-) :wink:

We can't just allow a person like him discriminate Max bro.
Hope you understand as well. :wink:

Offline redhotchillipepe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1226 on: May 03, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

yup, i do understand you bro.   :-) just like other forumers here in philmusic, satisfied customer rin ako ni mang max.  :-)
funky monk

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1227 on: May 04, 2008, 04:35:10 AM »
Here's how you play a Baker..........

feature=related

So I guess it's not on how much you invest on your gear, it's more of how you use your gear for your needs and how you play them.

An expensive guitar won't always sound good specially in the hands of a wannabe.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline markLAKANDULA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1228 on: May 04, 2008, 06:11:12 AM »

feature=related

So I guess it's not on how much you invest on your gear, it's more of how you use your gear for your needs and how you play them.

An expensive guitar won't always sound good specially in the hands of a wannabe.

+1....

andito nanaman ung nangungupal sa thread natin??hayaan nio na lang..pa-pampam lang un mga fafa... :-D

Offline consequence

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1229 on: May 04, 2008, 06:46:54 AM »
yun na ba yung  baker?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:31:08 AM by consequence »
My dear we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Offline markLAKANDULA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1230 on: May 04, 2008, 07:04:44 AM »
hehehe...peace sa lahat...wag na sana gambalain ang thread na toh :-D

Offline consequence

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1231 on: May 04, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »
mga bro tanong ko lang if c fire model sya rin yung si mark kawayan?parang magkamukha.
My dear we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Offline markLAKANDULA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1232 on: May 04, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »
mga bro tanong ko lang if c fire model sya rin yung si mark kawayan?parang magkamukha.

hindi sya yun tol...kilala ko si mark AKA kawayan_strat eh... :-)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1233 on: May 04, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »
Na try mo na ba? hindi mo pwedeng kompara ang mag kaibang specs, try mong mag ka parehas ng specs then compare mo, kung na try mo na support your claim post soundclip dahil kung sa salita lang hindi tatayo sa korte yan :)

Naka try na ako but I refuse to comment out of respect to the owner.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1234 on: May 04, 2008, 09:26:35 AM »
Guys ang hirap kasi dito sa philumusic may mga taong mahilig magpa mukha sa ibang tao na mahal ang gamit niya at the best ang gamit niya. He has all the luxuries and ebs in life pero look at his video at youtube playing a one note sustain on his beloved guitar. Sayang ang malaking ginastos na pera if you're just gonna play a 1 note sustain, diba? As I can see it, most of the people posting in this thread can give "Mr. One Note Sustain" a run for his money in terms of talent. Enjoy posting guys! Back to regular programming!  :-)

Its still does not change the fact that some of my gear is some of the best in the world.  That was not the point.  The point was that NOT all local luthiers are the same.  And as I said before sa value for money, OK si Max.  If you do not understand why one bent sustain note is used as a measure of a good guitar for me, then you are completely on a different level and I do not expect you to understand why that is used as a measure.  If you want to discuss talent then start a talent thread.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:31:45 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1235 on: May 04, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »

As I said before, ok si Mang Max sa value for money.  Probably better pa nga than Mang Rudy Disipulo but not the best there is.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1236 on: May 04, 2008, 09:29:57 AM »

feature=related

So are we talking about skill or Max's Guitars?  Teka muna... baka gusto mo tanungin ko kay Robben Ford kung gagamitin niya gitara ni Mang Max.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1237 on: May 04, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
You know who I was pertaining to? It's YOU!

So who are better for you huh?

Do you know Max personally?

Don't judge him as if you OWN one built by him.

Its siimple.  STOP MAKING CLAIMS THAT ALL LOCAL LUTHIERS ARE EQUAL.  I do not agree to your claim.  Kayo ang crab mentality not I. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1238 on: May 04, 2008, 09:38:29 AM »
You know who I was pertaining to? It's YOU!

So who are better for you huh?

SINO ANG SABI MONG LOCAL LUTHIER ANG KA EQUAL NIYA? IKAW NAG CLAIM. IKAW MAGSABI

Do you know Max personally?

SO WHAT IF YOU KNOW HIM PERSONALLY? HINDI NAMAN ITO MR. CONGENIALITY AND FRIENDSHIP CONTEST.

Don't judge him as if you OWN one built by him.

I AM NOT JUDGING HIM AS A PERSON.  I AM JUDGING HIS WORK AGAINST OTHERS. SABI MO KASI EQUAL LAHAT NG LOCAL LUTHIERS.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1239 on: May 04, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
ALex, just give these guys a break and let them enjoy what they have. Truly you and your gear is at a level of nirvana, but that does not give you the right to step on other peoples right to self satisfaction. Like I said, I find your expensive Baker useless in your hands. To the ears of a hundred guitar nuts in this forum, your Baker does not sound expensive. But yes, tone is in the hands which my friend you have to accept. I bet that if we have a scenario with you up on stage together with a Max Rufo guitar owner jamming in front of a hundred forumites, yeah your Baker and Max Rufos guitar side by side. I bet the Max Rufo guitar would be singing better than your Baker. You know what I mean...............

Leave these people alone, for Pete's sake!

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1240 on: May 04, 2008, 10:12:02 AM »
siguro para matigil na ang di pagkakaunawaan, sample clips na lang ng guitar ni sir max with the specs of the guitar. hehehe.  :lol:
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1241 on: May 04, 2008, 10:18:17 AM »
ALex, just give these guys a break and let them enjoy what they have. Truly you and your gear is at a level of nirvana, but that does not give you the right to step on other peoples right to self satisfaction. Like I said, I find your expensive Baker useless in your hands. To the ears of a hundred guitar nuts in this forum, your Baker does not sound expensive. But yes, tone is in the hands which my friend you have to accept. I bet that if we have a scenario with you up on stage together with a Max Rufo guitar owner jamming in front of a hundred forumites, yeah your Baker and Max Rufos guitar side by side. I bet the Max Rufo guitar would be singing better than your Baker. You know what I mean...............

Leave these people alone, for Pete's sake

I'm glad, this guy has wisdom in his words... peace :-) I completely agree

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1242 on: May 04, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »

Leave these people alone, for Pete's sake!

The Point is that I do NOT agree with the CLAIM THAT ALL LOCAL LUTHIERS ARE EQUAL.  Give the other guys who do NOT have their guitars made kay Max a BREAK, too. Your right to self satisfaction is totally personal.  Now, if you think that a personal assessment using a cellphone is valid and comparable to what I sound like live with my hands live on my gear that you are totally part of NUTS portion of philmusic. I have long ago accepted that hands are important.  But the problem is you only have one set of hands and some equipment makes your own one set of hands so much better.  If you cannot separte that from equipment then you better learn fast.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1243 on: May 04, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »
As nasty as you guys may think firemodel55 is, he does have a very strong point. not all local luthiers are equal. that is the simple and plain truth.

In the past when luthier wars were held here, the best conclusion was to try them all out and stick to who works best for you. they all have their indiosyncracies and approaches, and it is the celebration of individuality and availability of service that matters.

its great to know that mang max has stuck a chord among the many members here. that in itself is mang max's victory. alex is a passionate follower of arie, and i believe that arie is the big kahuna as he is without doubt the institution when it comes to lutherie.  my personal fave is jon dela cruz of elegee, as i am supportive of his work. others swear by jun castro and mightek. they all started from scratch once upon a time too. nagkataon lang na wala pa philmusic when the earlier ones began, to weather the bashing  :-)

see the diversity? i'm not taking sides here, i wanna be objective as i can. i feel that crab mentality does the biggest damage on a start-up individual, as i see mang max has room for improvement. elegee had to carve his niche too, and his newer stuff is light years ahead of what he did earlier. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger, unless you allow it to kill you  :wink:

but with due consideration to individuality, they are all not equals. strong in some areas, yes. with room for further improvement, absolutely.

take firemodel55's comments as encouragement in disguise . i'd hate to see this thread bombed.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1244 on: May 04, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »
Amen to that Anton, truly his encouragement is in disguise.

Here's a funny story I wanna share............. Egay Imperio (Labuyo) is a distant relative of my wife. Just a few months ago we met up at a relatives house. We were talking about music, gears, and musicians.  He told me matagal na niya kilala si Arie because he just lived nearby Aries place and they would jam at Aries together with Joric (DeltaSlim). He's been firiends with Arie ever since wala pa Guitar Hospital nun. I asked Egay "May kilala ka bang Alex?", Egay replied "Sinong Alex?", I answred back "Alex Gomez, meron siyang mga expensive amp and guitars na palagi niya bino-broadcast sa Philmusic." Egay replied, "Wala akong kilalang Alex eh." kinda funny when I had that discussion with Egay......... :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1245 on: May 04, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »
I don't wanna pick a fight with ALex here. I just wanna finish this off by saying

Alex, leave these guys alone and let them enjoy what they have. And I believe they do not want any part of your opinion on their thread! My $2...... :mrgreen:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1246 on: May 04, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »
As nasty as you guys may think firemodel55 is, he does have a very strong point. not all local luthiers are equal. that is the simple and plain truth.

In the past when luthier wars were held here, the best conclusion was to try them all out and stick to who works best for you. they all have their indiosyncracies and approaches, and it is the celebration of individuality and availability of service that matters.

its great to know that mang max has stuck a chord among the many members here. that in itself is mang max's victory. alex is a passionate follower of arie, and i believe that arie is the big kahuna as he is without doubt the institution when it comes to lutherie.  my personal fave is jon dela cruz of elegee, as i am supportive of his work. others swear by jun castro and mightek. they all started from scratch once upon a time too. nagkataon lang na wala pa philmusic when the earlier ones began, to weather the bashing  :-)

see the diversity? i'm not taking sides here, i wanna be objective as i can. i feel that crab mentality does the biggest damage on a start-up individual, as i see mang max has room for improvement. elegee had to carve his niche too, and his newer stuff is light years ahead of what he did earlier. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger, unless you allow it to kill you  :wink:

but with due consideration to individuality, they are all not equals. strong in some areas, yes. with room for further improvement, absolutely.

take firemodel55's comments as encouragement in disguise . i'd hate to see this thread bombed.

I thought that Arie stayed away from custom building guitars not because he "can't" but just prefers to repair and restore?  I think Alex stated that in a post a few months back.

Great point on the diversity.  From what I've read/seen here in Philmusic:

Arie - repair, restoration, go to him with your high-end stuff
Jon - Pinoy "premium" custom-builder
Max - Value-priced custom-builder
Jun - not really sure what he does... I saw the stuff on his website and can't figure out if he has a niche of sorts

I'm just glad that there are more builders now.  Back when I was still in Manila, si Mang Rudy lang ang kilala ko.  He built me a guitar that I really liked.  I was amused that he used auto paint for the finish.  Hinabol pa ako ng aso sa may kanila when I came to pick it up.  He didn't know how to install EMGs though.  I told him that he needed to create a cavity for the battery and he asked why!  Nice guy though.  Medyo madalas nga lang na lasing.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1247 on: May 04, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »
Arie - repair, restoration, go to him with your high-end stuff
Jon - Pinoy "premium" custom-builder
Max - Value-priced custom-builder
Jun - not really sure what he does... I saw the stuff on his website and can't figure out if he has a niche of sorts

A very good classification PRSMan.

Mang Rudy could be safely badged as the father of local Luthiers. Jun Castro learned from him, one of Elegees people came from RJ who was personaly trained by Mang Rudy.

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1248 on: May 04, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »
Naka try na ako but I refuse to comment out of respect to the owner.

Yep, you did AFTER you made your discriminating comments.
Judging those guitars before trying them out is FOOLISH.
You haven't even tried them all in person. TSK TSK TSK...

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:52:33 AM by lateralis »

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1249 on: May 04, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »
Its still does not change the fact that some of my gear is some of the best in the world.  That was not the point.  The point was that NOT all local luthiers are the same.  And as I said before sa value for money, OK si Max.  If you do not understand why one bent sustain note is used as a measure of a good guitar for me, then you are completely on a different level and I do not expect you to understand why that is used as a measure.  If you want to discuss talent then start a talent thread.

Who cares about your gear?